[Suggestions] Smartphones

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Hello all,

Currently I have a Nexus 4 and my parents are looking into Smartphones as especially my MOm, she's embarrassed to be using a dumbphone still (Although in all honesty she doesn't need a smartphone).

Anyway, I don't know much about smartphones and was thinking to just give my mom my phone and buy a new one, although I wouldn't know what to get at a good/decent price (At anything over $400 seems a bit too much for me.)

I'm on a good plan as I don't use phone much to call or text, so only leeching wi-fi where available. And definitely sticking to Android.

Thought to ask here since lots of tech-savvy people to help with suggestions like when I needed a new point-and-shoot camera, this was the place to ask.

All suggestions welcomed and if you've got any questions for me I'll do my best to answer.
{ALSO if there are NEW phones up and coming that you think I should hold off till then I'm definitely open to that as well {That is of course if it's worth the wait}

Thank you.

• Replies 27
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SacredCultivator

• geeteam

• The Owl

• PITA

Asus zenfone 4, 4.5, 5 or 6 whatever you like.

These guys are the Red Dot award winner. Comes with Intel atom chips which are hyperthreaded.

My pick will be the zenfone 4.5.

Edited by rudrax

Hi SC - have just started pimping android phones after being forced to replace the handset that got damaged in a recent motorbike crash.

After a full month of dissecting androids, find the Nexus to be the best of the lot, followed by the Samsung (Note 4 sounded quite impressive, for my kinda use.)

Maybe the important criterion for your purchase which could dictate the actual model might be your budget.

SacredCultivator

@rudrax; The Asus Zenfone 6 (series) actually looks pretty good and the price for it isn't too bad either, a bit cheaper than the Nexus 5.

So far it's a toss up between the Zenfone 6 / Nexus 5 that I've got my eyes on. Heh looked the note and near $900 yeah.. no thank you.

Edited by SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

The Samsung Galaxy S5 looks really tempting, though price-wise, unno if trying eBay is wise as those can go for under $500.

Friend also recommended Nexus 5, best bang for buck despite camera not being that great but OIS making up for it. (And Nexus 6/X still no confirmation though got time till the 31 when the previous models were announced.)

Xperia, don't look too bad but definitely the higher tier Z3 about too much.

BUt still got time so I'm in no apparent rush.

and mine for iPhone, I own two android H/S viz. Sony Xperia C6902 & D5322, both of them sucks big time. :thumbsdown: If you are looking for a smartphone with best possible performance then go for iPhone FTW. :rockon:

s

and mine for iPhone, I own two android H/S viz. Sony Xperia C6902 & D5322, both of them sucks big time. :thumbsdown: If you are looking for a smartphone with best possible performance then go for iPhone FTW. :rockon:

as John McEnroe Said

You Cannot Be Serious

s

as John McEnroe Said

You Cannot Be Serious

Why so? I am not taking anyone's words for what I mentioned in my above post. This all is concluded after having a hand on experience with Android & iPhone. :yes:

The only downside with apple is that it has it's very own restricted ecosystem & prices are exorbitantly high when compared with other flagship counterparts. :sneaky:

FWIW, large amount of RAM, cam megapixels and higher degree of CPU frequency always doesnt means that H/S is far superior than others.

You may have a look at following screenshot, On Antutu Benchmarks, A low cost XIAOMI with reasonable specs is kicking the balls of so called space age flagships including Nexus 4 & that icludes mine as well. :hehe:

451PtAW.png

SacredCultivator

Err I didn't think I'd win but I bid for an Samsung Galaxy S5 and won at $464, my max bid was $470. So it seems that's what I'm getting {Definitely didn't plan on getting it {at that price}}

- - -

EDIT:
So it seems the Nexus 6 definitely will be around 6inch screen which I feel is a bit too big for me. ><

I just do not think anyone that has any sense could like a iPhone

I know people here that are giving them to their kids to use as "texting tools" because they are no good as phones

well, if you say so then in that case all the Blackberry users (well almost as per market analytic research) who migrated to iPhone/iOS are also childrens per se. :lol: Trust me they (corporate childrens) are way more happy than using an android. :yes:
If using an Android smartphone primarily as a communication device for Calling & Texting, multimedia for Watching media contents, surfing the web & using productivity utilities as we call them as Apps someone is capable of devising something space age Eureka then I must salute his geniousness. :rofl:
Trust me I'll definitely freak out to something like this. :w00t:
On a seroius note, I am tabeling my views on the basis of utilization of available resources versus efficacy ratio.That being said, i still would like to emphasize that Android is not an optimised OS in any aspect when compared with it's Arch rival iOS or dormant Windows Phone 8 ;)

Specifically there are some good phones on the market and others are about to launched. Since you coming from a pure android device (N4), I will suggest you continue with the flavor.

I would go beyond than suggesting the pure android devices on the market Nexus 5; Moto X (2014); Moto X (2013). You can also lookout out for the HTC One M7 and HTC One M8.

With upcoming devices; you will be looking at the Nexus 6 (or whatever they will call it) as report suggests that the devices will be available some where in next month maybe (November).

SacredCultivator

And my S5 should be coming in tomorrow.

Co-worker questioned, "So the Nexus 6 is confirmed?"

Hehe, sort of hyped at the leaked stats of it, especially the camera with OIS (Which is weird as I rarely use my Camera feature anyway)

Unno going to wait it out to see the price of it and if it's good and I think I can handle the near 6" screen, I may get it and just give the new S5 to Dad as like an early early Christmas gift.

But man as each generation comes phones sure are getting bigger and bigger.

SacredCultivator

Woah... 5.2inch? If so I may give my S5 (coming today) and get a Nexus6.

Well all these might be or not be true until we finally get the full specification from Google tomorrow. don't get too excited :P

I think I made it clear in a comment I made when you asked for suggestions of a smartphone.

True you did make it clear. But I guess I was more pressured because I actually won said bid without really planning to.

And well when the announcement is made of the Nexus 6/X, guess we'll see the size, cause definitely if it's 5.2 (not 5.9), I may pick that up because I know the value for what you get is well worth. And can just be a "good son" and give/gift the S5 to Dad and Mom takes my current Nexus 4.

Woah... 5.2inch? If so I may give my S5 (coming today) and get a Nexus6.

Well all these might be or not be true until we finally get the full specification from Google tomorrow. don't get too excited :P

I think I made it clear in a comment I made when you asked for suggestions of a smartphone.

True you did make it clear. But I guess I was more pressured because I actually won said bid without really planning to.

And well when the announcement is made of the Nexus 6/X, guess we'll see the size, cause definitely if it's 5.2 (not 5.9), I may pick that up because I know the value for what you get is well worth. And can just be a "good son" and give/gift the S5 to Dad and Mom takes my current Nexus 4.

It wont be a bad Idea if dad isnt a tech freak like you. Because it wont be nice for Mom to have the latest version of Android on Phone whiles dad will still be waiting or will not even have it. :p

SacredCultivator

Heh my Dad has a Company smartphone, but personal use is my old one before Nexus 4, which was a ... don't even remember name, MOtorola and it was like the slimmer/dumber version of the Razr?

So definitely IF the Nexus6 is a 5.2inch, my S5 goes to Dad and Nexus 4 goes to mom. And if not, Nexus 4 goes to Dad and Mom has to keep waiting.

- - - - -

EDIT:
Okay so with the announced Nexus 6, just got to say holy shat, that's pricey.

Another friend actually suggested the OnePlus One phone and that's fairly large too at 5.5Inch. Though the price tag is catchy given all of it's specs. But currently still Invite Only to get one.

Although with phones getting larger and larger, I don't even know.

Heh my Dad has a Company smartphone, but personal use is my old one before Nexus 4, which was a ... don't even remember name, MOtorola and it was like the slimmer/dumber version of the Razr?

So definitely IF the Nexus6 is a 5.2inch, my S5 goes to Dad and Nexus 4 goes to mom. And if not, Nexus 4 goes to Dad and Mom has to keep waiting.

- - - - -

EDIT:

Okay so with the announced Nexus 6, just got to say holy shat, that's pricey.

Another friend actually suggested the OnePlus One phone and that's fairly large too at 5.5Inch. Though the price tag is catchy given all of it's specs. But currently still Invite Only to get one.

Although with phones getting larger and larger, I don't even know.

Yeah N6 has been announced. we now know whats included and its specifications.

It seems we have moved from the smartphone world to the phablet world now.

I expected Google to do better, but they decided to follow the crowd by going the phablet way.

Personally I think the N6 has been overpriced, because we were looking at something lesser than $649 for the 32 GB variant in reference to the 32GB Nexus 5 at $399.

The One Plus One is something else (because of the invitation system). I understand there is a preorder system coming up and launching in india as well. So lets wait and see what happens to the CyanogenMod team. we are still waiting lets see if they are going to maintain the price when the pre-order system comes up.

SacredCultivator

I got lucky and entered their giveaway, didn't win, but was lucky to score an Invite and purchased one. So shall also see how please I'll be with this phone whenever it arrives.

• 1 month later...
SacredCultivator

Oh man I am back to the searching board... OnePlus One was sooo unsatisfactory... I can't get a refund but will try to get a replacement int he future since I got 1 year warranty.

Screen size is solid for it and I still feel Nexus 6 / 6inch screen may be way too big.