Alternate Way to Block uTorrent Ads

CODYQX4

We know before, that uTorrent removed those Advanced Options to block Ads.

Now, the latest OS X BETA version (stable is damn near a year old) has the ad in the side, and clicking the "X" causes an upsell in-app screen to try and sell you it for $5/Year.

Anyway, I used "Hands Off!" (a better OS X alternative to "Little Snitch"), to block these URLs per app, but anyone should be able to HOSTS file them dead.

Add this to your HOSTS file:

127.0.0.1 cdn.bitmedianetwork.com127.0.0.1 ads.bittorrent.com127.0.0.1 apps.bittorrent.com127.0.0.1 bundles.bittorrent.com127.0.0.1 cdn.ap.bittorrent.com127.0.0.1 offers.bittorrent.com	# Not Necessary to Block this Update Link to Disable Ads, Effects Update Checking: 127.0.0.1 update.bittorrent.com127.0.0.1 bench.utorrent.com127.0.0.1 utclient.utorrent.com

The side effect of this is you still see the word "Advertisement" and the "X" in the bottom left corner, but no ad shows up, and clicking the "X" gives a blank screen instead of the $5/Year upsell nag.

I haven't tested the HOSTS file way, but that is how you would create it as one, and I did this on Mac uTorrent 1.8.6 BETA, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on Windows.

Someone please test on Windows, and keep this in your bag of tricks if those Advanced Options pull a Houdini again.

• Replies 27
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stylemessiah

Heres one of those topics that comes up it seems every X months......

Bloody utorrent and ads.

Why?

How many times will people post about this before they exercise some brain cells and ditch that crap for something like qbittorrent?

Simple fix

This is close to my top personal pet hate on here, people who are told how to fix things without using any 3rd party software and without being lazy, only to continue on for 3 or 4 more pages discussing 3rd party software....the "ill just install an app for that" generation. I weep for humanity.

And as i always say on these repeated pointless topics: The forum wants that space back....

Just so we're clear, dont use utorrent, use anything else ...no ads...simple

Hopefully this is the last time i see this on here, jesus.

november_ra1n

Bloody utorrent and ads.

Do not dictate anything to anyone, people are free to choose what torrent client to use or best for them at the same time some people avoid getting adds on their torrent client.

Use any thing best for you nothing else to dictate to anyone, this post useful to me as i a have been using utorrent since the beginning and i have my own reason that i don't wanna move to other torrent client at the same time people free to post anything withing the forum rules.

Additional Notes: I am using portable version of utorrent cause i am minimalist i don't install anything i really don't need in my PC, that's why i really do not want to configure utorrent every portable update comes around this is reason host method usefull.

Bloody utorrent and ads.

Why?

How many times will people post about this before they exercise some brain cells and ditch that crap for something like qbittorrent?

Simple fix

This is close to my top personal pet hate on here, people who are told how to fix things without using any 3rd party software and without being lazy, only to continue on for 3 or 4 more pages discussing 3rd party software....the "ill just install an app for that" generation. I weep for humanity.

And as i always say on these repeated pointless topics: The forum wants that space back....

Just so we're clear, dont use utorrent, use anything else ...no ads...simple

Whatever dude. I don't like qBittorrent, and as long as I can keep the ads off I don't have to switch.

Tested working nicely on µTorrent Portable 3.4.2.34309

Before Adding Host files

ZEAEas.png

After Host File Added [Clean no adds]

FOLFet.png

Good confirm. Still better to use those options, because it hides the empty UI parts, but this is a backup, and setting both is a good failsafe.

Here's my combo for disabling everything (ads, sync, bundles, etc.)...I just want to download/upload and an occasional rss action...Nothing more and nothing less.

*Hint:

There are also a set of hidden settings by simultaneously clicking on the F2/Shift keys and then Advanced in preferences...

jWj5zZK.jpg

HOSTS file entries:

# [utorrent]
0.0.0.0 bundles.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 apps.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 ads.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 offers.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 services.bunndle.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.ap.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 beta.bundles.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 67.215.246.203
0.0.0.0 67.215.246.204
0.0.0.0 82.221.103.245
0.0.0.0 82.221.103.246
0.0.0.0 111.119.15.31
0.0.0.0 111.119.15.32

Here's my combo for disabling everything (ads, sync, bundles, etc.)...I just want to download/upload and an occasional rss action...Nothing more and nothing less.

*Hint:

There are also a set of hidden settings by simultaneously clicking on the F2/Shift keys and then Advanced in preferences...

jWj5zZK.jpg

HOSTS file entries:

# [utorrent]

0.0.0.0 bundles.bittorrent.com

0.0.0.0 apps.bittorrent.com

0.0.0.0 ads.bittorrent.com

0.0.0.0 offers.bittorrent.com

0.0.0.0 services.bunndle.com

0.0.0.0 cdn.ap.bittorrent.com

0.0.0.0 beta.bundles.bittorrent.com

0.0.0.0 67.215.246.203

0.0.0.0 67.215.246.204

0.0.0.0 82.221.103.245

0.0.0.0 82.221.103.246

0.0.0.0 111.119.15.31

0.0.0.0 111.119.15.32

Not sure about all of them, but the first 2 IPs I know are update.utorrent.com and update.bittorrent.com. If someone can figure out the rest of them that would be nice.

I'll probably block the buundle.com one on my setup.

]

Good confirm. Still better to use those options, because it hides the empty UI parts, but this is a backup, and setting both is a good failsafe.

i did smilar way blocking adds on Skype long time ago since then happly using it without nasty adds >>>

How To Permanently Block Add On Skype [updated 08 March 2014]

I actually blocked those yesterday myself. I haven't used Skype enough to even confirm the OS X version even has ads it the latest version, but I caught it red handed calling ads1.msads.net.

Shall extend those hostnames and IPs to be blocked by firewall method, later - feeling lazy, since I'm busy hacking Linux, ATM.

Shall extend those hostnames and IPs to be blocked by firewall method, later - feeling lazy, since I'm busy hacking Linux, ATM.

Appears to be this:

0.0.0.0 67.215.246.203 update.utorrent.com0.0.0.0 67.215.246.204 update.bittorrent.com0.0.0.0 82.221.103.245 ?0.0.0.0 82.221.103.246 ?0.0.0.0 111.119.15.31 cdn-111-119-15-31.maa.llnw.net0.0.0.0 111.119.15.32 cdn-111-119-15-32.maa.llnw.net

I have no idea what the ? ones are, because an MX lookup site didn't reveal them to me. The last two are some kind of CDN for something.

We know before, that uTorrent removed those Advanced Options to block Ads.

Now, the latest OS X BETA version (stable is damn near a year old) has the ad in the side, and clicking the "X" causes an upsell in-app screen to try and sell you it for $5/Year.

Anyway, I used "Hands Off!" (a better OS X alternative to "Little Snitch"), to block these URLs per app, but anyone should be able to HOSTS file them dead.

Add this to your HOSTS file:

127.0.0.1 cdn.bitmedianetwork.com127.0.0.1 ads.bittorrent.com127.0.0.1 apps.bittorrent.com127.0.0.1 bundles.bittorrent.com127.0.0.1 cdn.ap.bittorrent.com127.0.0.1 offers.bittorrent.com	# Not Necessary to Block this Update Link to Disable Ads, Effects Update Checking: 127.0.0.1 update.bittorrent.com127.0.0.1 bench.utorrent.com127.0.0.1 utclient.utorrent.com

The side effect of this is you still see the word "Advertisement" and the "X" in the bottom left corner, but no ad shows up, and clicking the "X" gives a blank screen instead of the $5/Year upsell nag.

I haven't tested the HOSTS file way, but that is how you would create it as one, and I did this on Mac uTorrent 1.8.6 BETA, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on Windows.

Someone please test on Windows, and keep this in your bag of tricks if those Advanced Options pull a Houdini again.

Many 10x for the new way but i ditch this software some time ago after it got a mem consuming bug rapidly in every new build.

i move to http://www.tixati.com/ which IMO is much better , no ADS and it got a x64 version with lots useful features !

Always replace 127.0.0.1 with 0.0.0.0, it's better since it won't connect anywhere and thus won't do any timeout trying.

Write 9 hosts per line in the hosts file (it's the max hardcoded authorised), it will reduce the hosts file size, the RAM used by the DNS cache service and its loading time to cache the file.

Or change your torrent client? (Pointless comment.)

Yes, it's a general tip for programs that can't be easily replaced, but for torrents download I agree, I wouldn't recommend it since there are good alternatives.

Yes, it's a general tip for programs that can't be easily replaced, but for torrents download I agree, I wouldn't recommend it since there are good alternatives.

And they use java, .net framework, Qt etc.

Don't understand why people keep sugesting to someone to change apps.

If you don't use it, that's ok, but if someone don't ask replacement for apps then abviously don't want to change it.

Personaly I'm using uTorrent from its begining and now it is some kind of bloatware but using advanced settings most of them can be avoided.

What you can't avoid is Bundles like shown on some pictures posted above and after turning (yes, I turn off torrent :D ) and starting again there is some delay in showing gui and empty ad (content missing) no mather what you change.

So I quit using latest version and switch back to latest 3.3.2 where all ads can be removed by just using advanced options in its settings.

http://postimg.org/image/netkt90wp/

Not bad, right ^_^

stylemessiah

I'm afraid some people see logic as the enemy and like to do things the hard way

I weep for humanity

I dont really understand why people cant switch to another client? Who would want to go through all that hassle? Edit files/Edit Settings just to remove ads?

Ever since µTorrent sold out and went down the drain, qBittorrent was considered to be its replacement.

after all qBittorrent was originally a uTorrent version for Linux (Before uTorrent had one)

If you don't use it, that's ok, but if someone don't ask replacement for apps then abviously don't want to change it.

Personaly I'm using uTorrent from its begining and now it is some kind of bloatware but using advanced settings most of them can be avoided.

What you can't avoid is Bundles like shown on some pictures posted above and after turning (yes, I turn off torrent :D ) and starting again there is some delay in showing gui and empty ad (content missing) no mather what you change.

So I quit using latest version and switch back to latest 3.3.2 where all ads can be removed by just using advanced options in its settings.

Not bad, right ^_^

µTorrent was good because of its small memory usage, when RAM was still expensive which is not the case anymore.

I also despise programmers that appeal and attract users with free program at first then turn it in in plus/premium/paid/ads/spam/whatever when they reach a substantial number of users, even after a company bought their source code.

Java ? I saw nobody speaks about Azureus here (it's probably the only one that requires it) but you are right and I won't recommend any program that requires it.

.NET framework is already bundled in modern Windows system and, unlike Java, won't bloat your system and doesn't need 666 updates a week (:minitroll:) because of vulnerabilities. I personally don't know any bittorrent client that use it.

Qt doesn't required anything to be installed in your system (unlike Deluge, transmission [if I'm not wrong] and GTK+) and qBittorrent works flawlessly.

When you have one program that forces you to use cunning for blocking the unwanted "features" that bother you although a LOT of others that are free of anything annoying can easily replace the first one, then yes I prefer to convince people to get rid of it. It's not like µTorrent is vital like IDM or Uedit, since they are the best of their kind, which µTorrent is not anymore.

But, I didn't do it here, I was just answering to Paft, and in general to people that use the HOSTS file to block hosts. :)

Not bad, right ^_^

µTorrent was good because of its small memory usage, when RAM was still expensive which is not the case anymore.

I also despise programmers that appeal and attract users with free program at first then turn it in in plus/premium/paid/ads/spam/whatever when they reach a substantial number of users, even after a company bought their source code.

Java ? I saw nobody speaks about Azureus here (it's probably the only one that requires it) but you are right and I won't recommend any program that requires it.

.NET framework is already bundled in modern Windows system and, unlike Java, won't bloat your system and doesn't need 666 updates a week (:minitroll:) because of vulnerabilities. I personally don't know any bittorrent client that use it.

Qt doesn't required anything to be installed in your system (unlike Deluge, transmission [if I'm not wrong] and GTK+) and qBittorrent works flawlessly.

When you have one program that forces you to use cunning for blocking the unwanted "features" that bother you although a LOT of others that are free of anything annoying can easily replace the first one, then yes I prefer to convince people to get rid of it. It's not like µTorrent is vital like IDM or Uedit, since they are the best of their kind, which µTorrent is not anymore.

But, I didn't do it here, I was just answering to Paft, and in general to people that use the HOSTS file to block hosts. :)

As you said it is personal things.

But as of me uTorrent is still best.

Only few modification (also doesn't like use of host method for blocking if there is alternative) need to be done to make it perfect like utorrent been i past.

I'm using Free download manager as download manager for years and never said to anyone to use it if nobody ask for advice.

Personal things should be just like it is.

About .net framework based client -> MonoTorrent

About Qt -> slow

About Java -> just hate their shitty java in every aspects (slow, not optimized etc.)

If I can switch to better and more intuitive client -> perfect, if not, then I will try to make current application to suit my needs.

But in the end you are right, if ask for advice I'm glad to help, if not -> there is other options...

Regards

Thanks.

Will try it later, now I'm on 3.3.2 completely without ads (and unckecked automatically update).

Not bad, right ^_^

Only few modification (also doesn't like use of host method for blocking if there is alternative) need to be done to make it perfect like utorrent been i past.

I'm using Free download manager as download manager for years and never said to anyone to use it if nobody ask for advice.

About Qt -> slow

About Java -> just hate their shitty java in every aspects (slow, not optimized etc.)

If I can switch to better and more intuitive client -> perfect, if not, then I will try to make current application to suit my needs.

But in the end you are right, if ask for advice I'm glad to help, if not -> there is other options...

Regards

MonoTorrent is discontinued, their official site is down and the sources haven't been updated since two years ago. It's written in Mono and not .NET, which are not the same.

I personally don't have any issue downloading at full speed (I capped my bandwidth to 35 MB/s) with qbittorrent (or is "Qt" slow for something else ?).

I can't agree more on Java. :D

Not bad, right ^_^

About Qt -> slow

Regards

MonoTorrent is discontinued, their official site is down and the sources haven't been updated since two years ago. It's written in Mono and not .NET, which are not the same.

I personally don't have any issue downloading at full speed (I capped my bandwidth to 35 MB/s) with qbittorrent (or is "Qt" slow for something else ?).

I can't agree more on Java. :D

Qt is a GUI framework, a little clunky and heavy, and it likes to stuff lots of crap in the Windows Registry, so I could see some people not liking it.

Archived