Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 see drop in their market share, as Windows 7 continues to gain momentum

geeteam

Windows-OS-stats-sep.png

The market share of Windows 8 and Windows 8, instead of trickling up, suffered a drop last month. The Windows 8.x is now running on 12.26% of computers around the world, according to the latest data by Net Applications.

The month of September has ended, and as usually the ever so reliable Net Market Share has evaluated the performance of various operating systems.

Starting with the current operating system, Windows 8.1 which had 7.09% of market share at the end of August, has slid to 6.67% according to the latest data. Windows 8 has also suffered a drop, going down from 6.28% to 5.59%. The drop in the Windows 8.x market share is shocking, as the operating systems had been showing improvement since last couple of months.

Windows 7 has maintained the spot for the most widely used operating system. The operating system’s share has gone up by 1.5% to mark 52.71 percent of all the share. We can confidently blame OEMs for it, as recently HP ditched Windows 8 computers again in favor of selling Windows 7-powered machines.

Windows XP still remains a problem for Microsoft. Despite being out of company’s update cycle, it still has 23.87% share. Since the last month, the decade old operating system has only dropped a 0.02% share. Its successor Windows Vista is still booting 3.07% market share, with an ever so slight increase in its share.

Source

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We can confidently blame OEMs for it".. BLAME ?? They are giving the consumers what they actually want and need.

IF we would need to blame anyone then definitely Microsoft for not providing what the average consumer wants !

good to see 8/8.1 being pawned. M$ is still not learning from the market share and is going to repeat the same mistake of putting "one size fits all" into win 10.

Why is it so tough for them to make a decent OS just for desktops

Why is it so tough for them to make a decent OS just for desktops

One thing that I forced my system - my entire being, was to somehow get acclimatized to the extremely unbelievable but bitter fact . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Microsoft will never ever make any OS, just for desktops. h4CvlGL.gif

Only after my psyche accepted this fact was I able to pimp the Windows 8 series. zDLbIxl.gif

MidnightDistortions

We can confidently blame OEMs for it, as recently HP ditched Windows 8 computers again in favor of selling Windows 7-powered machines.

Uh where did they get that information from? Windows 8 is still being offered on their website. I don't know about in store ones.

Windows (on the whole) market share should fall down as low as 33% - that is when they would be forced to really start listening hard to their Patrons. Z0H7kHA.gif

Windows (on the whole) market share should fall down as low as 33% - that is when they would be forced to really start listening hard to their Patrons. Z0H7kHA.gif

Then it will be too late for them... because the people will already learn how to use the alternatives... so will the software and game developers...

Archived