Can't rename disk label on External HardDrive

software182

Hello, i have a little problem here. I have 2TB WD Passport External HD & it has 2 partitions. One of my External HD partition didn't show any label name, it only shows local disk. I've done below here to solve my problem :

1. CHKDSK [ Didn't work ]
  2. tried to use Disk Cleanup then rename it on Explorer [ Didn't work ]
  3. Right Click --> Properties --> Put any name [ Didn't work ]
  4. Change the drive letter in Disk Management [ Didn't work ]

Nothing works so far, what should i do ? It even doesn't show on Windows 'Send to' Context menu. A little help for this would be appreciated :)

Regards, Soft182

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, i have a little problem here. I have 2TB WD Passport External HD & it has 2 partitions. One of my External HD partition didn't show any label name, it only shows local disk.

Did u just created the partition(which is not showing any label name), it might be possible that u forgot to format it and that's why its not showing any label.

Remember this suggestion is applicable only if the partition is newly created otherwise u may lose all ur data :yes:

If that's not the case, dcs18's suggestion should work

Ok guys, this is really weird.. i tried to connect my Ext HD in my Win XP ( on VM ) and bammm, it shows my label & also i can change it..

It's really weird, when i reconnect to my host OS ( Windows 8.1 x64 ), it doesn't work ( again ) :s :think:

Dcs : No, i'm not. i'll try it tomorrow...

Didn't work :(

Did u just created the partition(which is not showing any label name), it might be possible that u forgot to format it and that's why its not showing any label.

Remember this suggestion is applicable only if the partition is newly created otherwise u may lose all ur data :yes:

If that's not the case, dcs18's suggestion should work

no i didn't, a couple days ago it worked as usual... :think:

Ok guys, this is really weird.. i tried to connect my Ext HD in my Win XP ( on VM ) and bammm, it shows my label & also i can change it..

It's really weird, when i reconnect to my host OS ( Windows 8.1 x64 ), it doesn't work ( again ) :s :think:

Yep, that is because it is a system issue - no problem with your external HDD. 6HUIPBa.gif

Yep, that is because it is a system issue - no problem with your external HDD. 6HUIPBa.gif

a system issue ? but i have connected to my laptop with Windows 8.1 Fresh Installation & it shows the same problem :think:

by any chance, have you a folder named 'autorun.inf' in your root folder of the external hdd?

If it's so, that's the culprit. It may be hidden, so you should check 'show hidden files, folders and drives' in the folder options.

Good Luck!

a system issue ? but i have connected to my laptop with Windows 8.1 Fresh Installation & it shows the same problem :think:

Yes - but then, it is working (as you mentioned) on your VM, isn't it? That points to a system issue.

Yes - but then, it is working (as you mentioned) on your VM, isn't it? That points to a system issue.

really ? i don't get it.. if it's a system issue, it should be working on Windows 8.1 with Fresh Installation :s

really ? i don't get it.. if it's a system issue, it should be working on Windows 8.1 with Fresh Installation :s

If it is not a system issue, it should be working on all sorts of installations - not selectively on your VM only.

However, it is pointless to keep speculating about that without trying it personally for yourself. ;)

If it is not a system issue, it should be working on all sorts of installations - not selectively on your VM only.

However, it is pointless to keep speculating about that without trying it personally for yourself. ;)

didn't work too, tried with yamicsoft w8

Have you checked having the actual Drivers for Chipset, HD+USB-Controller ?
The Drivers delivered with Windows are mostly not suited for needed higher functions.

Please tell us, which Laptop or Chipset is used.

If possible, you should try this -

1) Backup your data (External Hard Drive)

2) Delete both partitions of your External Hard Drive and format it

3) Recreate Partitions in External Hard Drive via Disk Management

have you also tried on Win8.1 VM?

try to rename it using command prompt or any partitioning software. anyway try also @masterupc suggestion. good luck bro...

Yes, but it didn't work too

by any chance, have you a folder named 'autorun.inf' in your root folder of the external hdd?

If it's so, that's the culprit. It may be hidden, so you should check 'show hidden files, folders and drives' in the folder options.

Good Luck!

I remember there's an .inf file created by Zentimo. I have deleted that file & rename my harddrive label but still no luck

The Drivers delivered with Windows are mostly not suited for needed higher functions.

Not yet, like i said it worked a couple weeks ago then it doesn't work now.

LOL! :rolleyes:

Maybe because you don't have administrator privilagies?

Dude, i'm always running my PC as admin & you know what ? i'm the only one using my PC.

So should i backup my data from my backup data to another backup drive :s :lol: ?

That would be the last thing i do :)

So should i backup my data from my backup data to another backup drive :s :lol: ?

You can transfer those files to Internal Hard Drive. Is that partition shows any drive letter ?

DaTaRebell, on 29 Sept 2014 - 06:54, said:snapback.png

This error is mostly caused on Intel Chipsets without installed Drivers from Intel.

Change Drive Name via "autorun.inf" File

1) Open your partition and create new text file and rename it to autorun.inf (Don't forget to remove the .txt extension)

2) Now open autorun.inf and paste the following -
[autorun]

label=new drive name

ejc3y5H.png

Change Drive Name via Registry Editor ( If that partition has a Drive Letter)

1) Open Registry editor and go to -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons

2) Right Click on DriveIcons and create New key and rename it your External HardDrive Partition letter (For example I/J/K/L)

3) Right Click on that Drive Letter and create another key and rename it to DefaultLabel

4) Right Click on (Default) and Modify it and put the New Label in Value data

5MFnZ25.png

I would try to merge, split the drive, and then see what would happen. I have experienced the naming problem when dual booting linux and windows. I wonder if screenshot from disk management would help.

I would try to merge, split the drive, and then see what would happen. I have experienced the naming problem when dual booting linux and windows. I wonder if screenshot from disk management would help.

The drive works well on disk management, I can see my ext hd has a label name ( both of them ).

Even eset can scan and see my ext hd label when I plug it to my PC. But it doesn't show on win explorer. Weird :think:

I also tried to find any possible hidden folders and files, but still I found nothing :s

The drive works well on disk management, I can see my ext hd has a label name ( both of them ).

Even eset can scan and see my ext hd label when I plug it to my PC. But it doesn't show on win explorer. Weird :think:

I also tried to find any possible hidden folders and files, but still I found nothing :s

Did you try this ?

//www.nsaneforums.com/topic/230325-cant-rename-disk-label-on-external-harddrive/?p=845299

DaTaRebell, on 29 Sept 2014 - 06:54, said:snapback.png

This error is mostly caused on Intel Chipsets without installed Drivers from Intel.

Then how could it works on win xp in my vm ? :think:

1) Backup your data (External Hard Drive)2) Delete both partitions of your External Hard Drive and format it3) Recreate Partitions in External Hard Drive via Disk Management

Did you try this ?

//www.nsaneforums.com/topic/230325-cant-rename-disk-label-on-external-harddrive/?p=845299

Nope, I'll try it when I come home.

By the way, thanks for helping me, all of you nsaners :)

Archived