Analysts Say Microsoft May Ditch Windows 9 Brand Name

anuseems

Microsoft is expected to unveil the next version of its consumer operating system -- "Threshold" -- on Tuesday

From DailyTech:

Reuters is confirming reports that the upcoming version of Windows that we've been seeing so much of (known as "Windows 9" to the media or "Threshold" within Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)) unofficially will be unveiled officially next Tuesday.

The most shocking aspect of Reuters' report, though, is its claim that Microsoft may drop the Windows brand name altogether.

http://www.dailytech.com/Analysts+Say+Microsoft+May+Ditch+Windows+9+Brand+Name/article36617.htm

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

President of Microsoft Indonesia Andrew Diantoro say that the last version of the operating system will be obtained for free.
Windows 9 being a free upgrade for Windows 8 and 8.1 users.
Microsoft is ready to release it on 30 September. That will be the birthday of Windows 9.

Source:

http://inet.detik.com/read/2014/09/25/182535/2701450/317/ceo-microsoft-windows-9-gratis-asalkan?k=ecym&p=ct

"The most shocking aspect of Reuters' report, though, is its claim that Microsoft may drop the Windows brand name altogether."

This is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard :| It's pretty much IMPOSSIBLE!

"The most shocking aspect of Reuters' report, though, is its claim that Microsoft may drop the Windows brand name altogether."

This is his only chance to improve their reputation in any way.

This is his only chance to improve their reputation in any way.

I know it looks like that :| but it has MORE to loose than to gain from changing the name completely. I'm sure they won't chance it since their new Windows Phone devices will be called simply "Windows" :) Also, the head of Windows division (I think) posted a picture teasing the new "logo" for Windows "9", and it clearly says "WINDOWS" on the screen:

ByjOLpnCEAEVY0n.jpg

Its likely that "Windows 9" will be called or branded "Microsoft Windows"

A rose by any other name, would still suck just as much...

Seriously though I don't like the idea of just "Windows", and I can't see them totally renaming it just because. The whole company is associated with being buggy and insecure, whether or not it deserves it to that level, so just renaming the OS isn't enough.

Anyone that knows better is not going to use that little blue "E" to get online either, even if they change it to something else.

As a tech I'd rather know if it's XP/Vista/7/8/9 whatever right from the get-go so I can put on the right hat straight away & look for the files and known devils in the right places for each generation. Don't make me waste time diggin around guessing what the crazy machine's running. Each iteration of Windows was more-or-less fine in it's era, just knowing the quirks is the trick.

Archived