Hard Drive Crash Help

myidisbb

not sure where to place this thread since things seriously have been moved and changed around.

I have a 4TB Hitachi hard drive that I use to dump downloaded newsgroup stuff in. last evening it said I had to format the drive. I did a quick format so I could run recuva recovery software on trail version. it had the stuff all without folders and 99% videos missing.

what kind I do to really recover them? my plan is to take the 4 TB HD offline and use a 2 TB for now.

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recuva Trial will only allow you to recover 1GB of data. Use MiniTool Power Data Recovery. Since it is a 4TB drive, thorough scanning may take really long but it will be worth all the wait. You need to find the exact name of the partition where you had everything saved. All your data are will be there intact and organized in folders in the same manner you lost them. But you will also need another separate external hard drive (probably 4TB also or depending on the size of file to be recovered) where you will save and recover the files.

Here's the link to the MiniTool Power Data Recovery installer:

http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/download/pdr68-giveaway-revised-eidtion.exe

Then check your inbox.

Good luck!

Recuva Trial will only allow you to recover 1GB of data. Use MiniTool Power Data Recovery. Since it is a 4TB drive, thorough scanning may take really long but it will be worth all the wait. You need to find the exact name of the partition where you had everything saved. All your data are will be there intact and organized in folders in the same manner you lost them. But you will also need another separate external hard drive (probably 4TB also or depending on the size of file to be recovered) where you will save and recover the files.

Here's the link to the MiniTool Power Data Recovery installer:

http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/download/pdr68-giveaway-revised-eidtion.exe

Then check your inbox.

Good luck!

Curious to hear how this turns out. Please post results of recovering from quick format. Thanks

I had a very good experience with "HDD mechanic". It can recover data even from unformatted raw partitions. It's very fast. Search for it and use it.

I had similar problems few years back and very good solution was Recover my files.

Read intro and you will find out how to use it and be patient (process is slow).

Select only what you realy need, to speed up recovering process.

Only bad thing I had was generic file names after recovering.

at the moment trying disk recovery wizard 4.1. been scanning for 13 hours. looks like about 20 hours still. my goal is to see and get the videos mainly.

will get the MiniTool Power Data Recovery and have it ready if I don't like how the above works out.

at the moment trying disk recovery wizard 4.1. been scanning for 13 hours. looks like about 20 hours still. my goal is to see and get the videos mainly.

will get the MiniTool Power Data Recovery and have it ready if I don't like how the above works out.

Just make sure your hard drive is well ventilated while scanning. Overheating will give you errors and may cause freezing.

just make sure your hard drive is well ventilated while scanning. Overheating will give you errors and may cause freezing.

it is in a BlacX Duet docking station by thermaltake. 23 hours of running disk recovery wizard 4.1. looks like I still have a few more hours before its done scanning.

just make sure your hard drive is well ventilated while scanning. Overheating will give you errors and may cause freezing.

it is in a BlacX Duet docking station by thermaltake. 23 hours of running disk recovery wizard 4.1. looks like I still have a few more hours before its done scanning.

This is why I don't intend to buy anything more than 2TB. It will take years before I use it all up. And by the time it's about full, it will be time to act up and recovery will be a very painful experience. Even for SSDs, I made a mistake of buying 250GB as a boot up drive. 120GB is more than enough. All data will go to HDD.

post-66530-0-85237900-1411428623_thumb.j

So far, I've only done scanning and recovering 1TB drives. Scanning took 6 hours using the MiniTool Power Data Recovery.

Look at how organized the recovered files are. It's how my files are organized in folders when I lost them. The filenames are also intact (not generic filenames) On this photo, I am transferring the files to another external drive:

post-66530-0-95610800-1411429104_thumb.j

I hope everything goes well with your data recovery.

Cheers!

I can fill 250 GB is less then 12 hours

anyway, im going to recover the files to another Hard Drive for now. looks like I have to do a lot of viewing and making new folders. is there a program that will unformat a drive so maybe see the actually folder trees?

going to leave the laptop running a few days while im out of town. disk recovery wizard 4.1 seems to be very slow when it comes to recovering the actually file to another hard drive.

btw while im out is there a program that unformat a drive? I had to do a quick format because computer wasn't seeing the HD. is there a program that will recover by folder name instead? that way everything inside each folder and no renaming of folder or files are needed?

The MiniTool Power Data Recovery that I recommended to you does just like that (Recovery by partition or folder). But since you've formatted the drive, that is another story. But if you are desperate to try anything, give it a go.

Archived