Apple and U2 working on new audio format – that can’t be pirated

Matsuda

u2_apple_620x350.jpg

Apple and the Irish rock band U2 are working secretly on a new music format that should guarantee artists to get paid for their work. According to frontman of the band, Bono, the format will have so many advantages that users don’t mind to pay for the content anymore.

In an interview with Time, Bono speaks about the format but doesn’t reveal any details. However he does state that it will be impossible to pirate music in the new format which indicates there is some form of DRM used.

“It will be an audiovisual interactive format for music that brings back album art in the most powerful way”, Bono said. He also adds that users can play with the lyrics and they can see photography in a way never seen before. The format would not only be used on albums but also on individual tracks. U2 expects to use the format for the first time when they release the album “Songs of Experience”.

The manager of U2 hinted to Billboard last week about the new format. Besides lyrics and artwork the manager also mentioned videoclips that should provide listeners with an more in-depth experience than currently possible with existing formats. It’s unknown whether Apple’s and U2’s format will also bring an improvement in audio quality.

In the past there’ve been rumors that Apple would introduce a technology for distributing audio in high quality. Recently Neil Young released his Pono-format for 24 bit audio at 192kHz and several streaming services offer music in the lossless compression format FLAC.

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apple and U2 working on new audio format – that can’t be pirated...

A format that they can't push in your iTune without your consent ...?

THAT would be a great idea.

... so many advantages that users don’t mind to pay for the content anymore.

A format for wich you don't have pay again the copyrights if you have already bought it (vinyl, then K7, then CD, then DVD, then Bluray ... ?

THAT should be !

The moneymaker group plus the inventors of charity business lies... , what a mess for customers !

Escritoire

It will be, assuming anyone actually wants it in the first place.

They thought HDCP was unhackable. They thought AACS/CSS and Cinavia were too.

This shit will get hacked and dumped until a noob ready tool can make short work of it.

Hmm OK, I thought music was about the music not the crap that comes with it. Just give me some 24bit FLACs that are not recorded like shit and I'm happy.

The only way the audio is not going to be extracted is if they make their own audio player like SACD send it via encrypted data stream to a proprietary DAC and hope that hardware hackers don't manage to dump the decoded stream.

And who the fuck is going to go out and buy all that hardware just to listen to music... anything else is crackable within days.

bono - oh no!

we all like a challenge now and then. I predict that this code will be cracked within days if not hours of its release. And who is going to:

1. pay Apple and U2 for this format for their music releases

2. who in their right minds is going to "downgrade" to potentially new music player hardware for U2 et al who go with them on this format

3. and even if we did, why would we? its going to get cracked and become insignificant, its only going to be for a very limited market share of music, and all for what, so that the music industry can grind out some more unearned profit.

I wish for every artist that they get paid - the internet is the perfect medium to sideline the record companies and channel funds directly to the artists themslves, yet it isn't being used that way. Musicians barely get a small percentage if that of the retail cost of a recording.

I for one would be happy to pay the artists directly the same few pence they get for their work. Digital delivery costs are so low advertising on the websites would more than cover it. extortionate profit by the record companies have made music piracy, not the internet. If an album cost retail what it cost to make, plus a reasonable say 15% profit for the artist etc. i doubt it would be above £1. Most people if they really supported the artist would not even blink at paying that.

Artists should be making their money by live music, concerts and gigs, and using recordings to promote their songs and work. If you cannot do it live then stop pretending you are a musician.

Maybe a lesson from this - opera recordings are legitimately bought and paid for more than any other - recordings of live performances. Odd that isn't it. Not really, fans want real music.

So putting aside copy protection, Apple and U2 are going to reinvent the equivalent to Betamax. (A system that is doomed to failure)

Good luck boys.

Must say I would be interested to see how it will be implemented.

Archived