Why Apple iPhone 6 cannot be compared to Google Nexus 4

vitorio

Taking from :

http://businesstoday.intoday.in/story/apple-iphone-6-google-nexus-4-premium-smartphones-apps-fingerprint/1/210204.html

Here is a list of features that the online posts fail to mention:

Processor

The new A8 chipset with the second-generation 64-bit architecture is zipping fast. Be it graphic games or any other heavy app, the chances of slowing down the phone is next to nil. Apple claims that the phone won't heat up even at high performance. The Nexus 4, when launched in 2012, had a 1.5GHz quad core processor based on Qualcomm Snapdragon 8064 chipset. Even today's Android smartphones with the latest chipsets heat up. And don't ask about lags and freezing, which is often.

Camera

The Nexus 4 had an 8MP camera and so does the iPhone 6. But the imaging quality and sensor on the iPhone 6 are far superior than most cameras in smartphones today. The new Focus Pixel technology provides the sensor with more information about the image, giving a better and faster autofocus that one can see in preview.

Faster Wireless

The iPhone 6 has faster LTE connectivity and supports higher download speeds. LTE is short for Long-Term Evolution, commonly known as fourth-generation or 4G technology. Apple claims it supports more LTE bands than any other smartphone. Even for WiFi, it will work three times faster than the predecessor and most other smartphones.

Apps installed from browser

Do you actually care about these apps? Apple is particular about the apps listed on the iPhone. On Android devices, half the apps are useless or collect private information and can pose threat to your phone.

Premium smartphone

Since the first iPhone launch, all the iPhones had a premium feel. But holding the Nexus 4 wasn't any match. And most Android smartphones look alike. The recent Panasonic Eluga U has a similar back as the Nexus 4.

Wireless Charging

The online posts also boast the Nexus 4's wireless charging capabilities. But, typically, a Qi wireless charger doesn't accompany the handset and it needs to be purchased separately. Of the number of people who purchased the Nexus 4 back then, I don't really know anyone who invested in one.

Fingerprint scanner

That's one thing Apple has and Nexus doesn't. And this isn't only for show-off as, until now, it was used to unlock phones or authorise purchases on the App Store. Now with the Apple Pay service, it will be used for authenticating payments too.

Customer support

The biggest advantage of owning an Apple device is the service. The whole network is so systematically planned that in case you have any issue with your device, just walk into any service centre. If the problem is beyond repair, in most cases the unit is swapped. It might be a refurbished unit, but you still get the warranty from the date of the purchase. Also, you are saved from the hassle of calling and visiting the customer care like in the case of most other brands. In India, with Nexus 4, people had a tough time to get the handset repaired.

You might call me an Apple fan but these are some genuine differences between using an iPhone and the Nexus 4. There are not many iPhone users I know who switch to Android. However, there are many Android users falling for Apple.

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... There are not many iPhone users I know who switch to Android. However, there are many Android users falling for Apple.

Trust an Indian girl to come up with absurd counters to anything logical that you have to say to them. (Yes, I've got my demons to slay, I know LOL!) :P

The hilarious meme being alluded to here, is of course a funny take on Apple's new release, but pray tell me how the hell has Apple's share dropped to just over 10% today if 'nobody' switches from Apple to Android. :angry:

Sure, most of these numbers come from an increased user base rather than Apple-Android migration, but just about every other person I know who bought the first iPhone released in India (that would be the 3Gs, which was released a year after it was launched in the US in 2009) has since switched to the Samsung Galaxy S series or the Note series mostly on account of the bigger screens at (slightly) cheaper prices. Absolutely no one I know has migrated the other way 'round! I repeat - absolutely no one. Once you've used a bigger screen for even a week, it's well nigh impossible to go back to a puny little itoy! ;)

Now with bigger iPhone screens, maybe some of them will switch back, wallet permitting, but most are too heavily invested in the Android Eco-system by now to go through the whole re-learning hoop once again. Yes, I believe that Apple will ever so slightly increase their market share in the US with subsidized contractual prices, but in unlocked markets like India, with the iPhone 5s already selling for almost $1000 officially, I can't see how too many people will be buying a 6+ for close to ~$1500 (presumably) ahead of Android phablets like Galaxy Note 4 which will probably cost around $1K on launch and will then become cheaper in the weeks to come. :)

Thank God the iPhone doesn't come with Android and it never will. Android devices need over 2 GHz processors and over 2GB of RAM just to try and catch up with Apple on performance. Plus, because of this high CPU frequency, Android devices can't sustain sustain performance over a long period of time, the frequency quickly decreases so the device doesn't overheat. While the iPhone can sustain performance over a longer period of time. The iPhone tends to have an underclocked CPU, so the phone runs cooler, for example iPhone 3GS had a underclocked 833MHz CPU which was actually running at 600MHz.
iOS 8 brings Metal, which decreases the OpenGL performance overhead to get the maximum performance out of the GPU. This means even better games with extra visuals, while still running smooth, 1080p at 60fps. Same thing DirectX 12 will do.

DSC_4520.jpg

iwhvUso.png

FdvKzgp.png

... There are not many iPhone users I know who switch to Android. However, there are many Android users falling for Apple.

Trust an Indian girl to come up with absurd counters to anything logical that you have to say to them. (Yes, I've got my demons to slay, I know LOL!) :P

The hilarious meme being alluded to here, is of course a funny take on Apple's new release, but pray tell me how the hell has Apple's share dropped to just over 10% today if 'nobody' switches from Apple to Android. :angry:

Sure, most of these numbers come from an increased user base rather than Apple-Android migration, but just about every other person I know who bought the first iPhone released in India (that would be the 3Gs, which was released a year after it was launched in the US in 2009) has since switched to the Samsung Galaxy S series or the Note series mostly on account of the bigger screens at (slightly) cheaper prices. Absolutely no one I know has migrated the other way 'round! I repeat - absolutely no one. Once you've used a bigger screen for even a week, it's well nigh impossible to go back to a puny little itoy! ;)

Now with bigger iPhone screens, maybe some of them will switch back, wallet permitting, but most are too heavily invested in the Android Eco-system by now to go through the whole re-learning hoop once again. Yes, I believe that Apple will ever so slightly increase their market share in the US with subsidized contractual prices, but in unlocked markets like India, with the iPhone 5s already selling for almost $1000 officially, I can't see how too many people will be buying a 6+ for close to ~$1500 (presumably) ahead of Android phablets like Galaxy Note 4 which will probably cost around $1K on launch and will then become cheaper in the weeks to come. :)

The Apple stuck always plummets, because "analysts" claim to Wall Street that the phone will be made of diamond and do time travel, and yet it doesn't.

Then the doomsayers shout from the rooftop that Apple is doomed, until the iPhone breaks the sales records (AGAIN) and the stock rises. Now that they split the stock so you don't have to drop half a grand per share, I should really start buying up shares after every iPhone release.

I'm sure I'm going to get up at 6AM EST tomorrow like normal workdays, and if the Silver iPhone isn't sold out on preorders it would be VERY soon after. The people who wanted the tacky Gold last year that they say is so popular yet I've never seen one, had cleared the supply of Gold and were already hawking them on eBay for a grand by the time I woke up last year, somewhere between 5 and 6 AM EST.

And there are people that refuse to try the Apple juice, yet they go around telling others it's bad, even though they have no idea what it tastes like. Happens all the time.

And there are people that refuse to try the Apple juice, yet they go around telling others it's bad, even though they have no idea what it tastes like. Happens all the time.

If you are trying to assert I have never had an Apple product you couldn't be more wrong. I am a regular user of mobile operating systems/devices and have had various Apple products. I currently use Android as daily drivers and they are just simply superior in just about every single aspect that matters (at least to me).

The hardware is just better (fact) and the OS (stock Android) just pisses all over iOS which in comparison is a toy OS. It's just far too limited and boring to use where as Android gives you much more choice is functionality and optimization.

And before you or others say those lame/outdated jingles like "oh it lags" or "or samsung this.." etc then dont. They are ridiculous arguments because there is ZERO lag on stock Android, at least on decent devices anyway. And Samsung is NOT Android, Google is Android. Samsung is just a hardware manufacturer who takes Android OS and then skins it and fills it will bloatware.

Apples software/hardware is just always out of date for most part, even the first iPhone (although revolutionary) was extremely limited, especially in comparison to other smartphones of the day. What Apple does best is marketing and convince people what they have is new/better when it simply isnt. They appeal to people who just want a simplified device that looks cool.

I can't understand why they compare iphone 6 with nexus 4. It's not 'apple' to 'apple' comparison since the price too way different.

i love my iphone; i have a 5s and will buy 6 as soon as it is available in india

i think there are distinct android lovers and apple lovers; and there are buyers for both

why are the nsaners fighting over it... :rolleyes:

Neither apple or google are going to give their phones for free...

The hardware is just better (fact) and the OS (stock Android) just pisses all over iOS which in comparison is a toy OS. It's just far too limited and boring to use where as Android gives you much more choice is functionality and optimization.

You mean it has better specs on paper, yet they perform worse. I don't mean to burst your bubble, but don't be fooled by the specs, Android devices need the extra power just to try and keep up with Apple. Some Android devices might run decent, but the OS is still not that well optimized compared to iOS. Apple devices on the other hand perform much better, even though they have lower specs.

Since you mentioned stock Android, take the latest Nexus phone, even though the CPU is clocked at a higher frequency it performs worse in single core tasks than iPhone 5s in Geekbench 3, although it's only a little bit faster in multi-core because of the quad-core CPU.

iPhone 5s (Apple A7 1.3 GHz (2 cores)) released September 2013: 1303 points (Single Core) and 2343 points (Multi-Core)

LG Nexus 5 (Snapdragon 800 2.3 GHz (4 cores)) released November 2013: 842 points (Single Core) and 2487 points (Multi-Core)

d45cjEL.png

rqho9Bu.png

In 3DMark, Nexus 5 performs a little better, but the GPU is clocked higher as well.

Apple iPhone 5s 4": 14694 points Apple A7 Up to 1.3 GHz dual-core Cyclone PowerVR G6430 300 MHz Quad core

LG Nexus 5 5": 16145 points Snapdragon 800 Up to 2.3 GHz quad-core Krait 400 Adreno 330 450MHz

wGUrC5r.png

You might say that Nexus 5 has a bigger display, but the new iPhone 6 Plus has an even bigger 5.5" display running at 1080p also, while the CPU is only clocked at 1.4GHz with probably still 1GB RAM, yet it will achieve even better performance.

And when you think about it, iPhone 5s works with only 1GB of RAM, yet it is able to compete so well with other devices. Nexus 5 has 2GB of RAM.

With iOS 8, thanks to Metal, iOS devices will get even more performance out of the GPU.

So get your facts straight before you start trashing the competition. It's funny how uninformed some people are.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobileice_storm_unlimited/filter/ios

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobileice_storm_unlimited/filter/android

Plus other benchmarks where it performs better than other phones clocked higher.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/7

http://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?benchmark=gfx30&D1=Apple+iPhone+5S&os1=iOS&api1=gl&D2=Google+Nexus+5&cols=2

http://geekaphone.com/compare/Apple-iPhone-5s-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-vs-LG-Nexus-5

My better half has an ihpone, I have a Nokia running Windows. (Hers is provided by her work)

In normal day to day use we both agree that the Nokia beats the iPhone hands down. For me the comparison is about how you use a device, not what paper results show.

I doubt it, unless it's an older iPhone model. Even the iPhone 5 runs great in normal day use.

In games you can clearly see the iPhone has better performance. The Nokia Lumia 930 has similar specs compared to Nexus 5, Snapdragon 800 Quad-core 2.2 GHz with Adreno 330 GPU and 2GB of RAM.

And the Lumia 930 was released on July, 2014, a little late to the party since Nexus 5 was released on November 2013 and iPhone 5s on September 2013.

http://youtu.be/rvmh5OGO6HE?t=4m38s

You may doubt all you like - it is however our opinion based on our observation. Neither of us play games on our phones but predominately use them for business.

Here we go now, few months ago was anti russians propaganda, now is the week of pro Apple propaganda.

Apple has a better technology integration, but the product in the hands of the customers is too boring, it lacks the customization, it lacks many small details that customers in general fall in love with.

That's why I said that the main disadvantage of Iphone is that it doesn't come with Android, or with ubuntu for mobile that i think will be a really enjoyable experience.

Ps. Hopefully Iphone will keep up with the size, and it won't be some kind of a girly phone, men want a big piece of device in their hands not a phone for the gym.

You may doubt all you like - it is however our opinion based on our observation. Neither of us play games on our phones but predominately use them for business.

Yet you still don't mention the phone models. For all I know, you might be comparing a new Nokia device to an old iPhone 4/4S or maybe an even older one. Go figure.

Apple has a better technology integration, but the product in the hands of the customers is too boring, it lacks the customization, it lacks many small details that customers in general fall in love with.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but you can't speak for everyone, it just means it's not meant for you. Millions of iPhone users are happy with their phone and there are customer satisfaction surveys to prove it. Not all people care about deep customization.

I started using an iPhone since 2010 and I have been happy and pleased with all models. Tried other devices, but never seen a better one that does it so well when it comes to hardware combined with software and customer service. It's about the entire experience. If there was a device that does all this better, I would have switched, but so far no one was able to convince me otherwise.

I will choose iOS over Android every day until it actually gets better, it seriously needs it.

Although on a desktop computer I use both Windows and OS X, I have always been a Windows user and preferred PCs over Macs, but when it comes to mobile devices, Apple does it best in my opinion.

I could actually get more out of it by jailbreaking, but I could care less.

Those that actually care about customization, but want an iPhone, can just go ahead and jailbreak it, instead of moaning about it.

And some of those limitation are actually a good idea. Like not implementing Flash Player on iOS which led to something even better, HTML5. Flash Player on a mobile device is a horrible experience and Adobe admitted it by discontinuing it on Android, last version was 11. It was never meant for mobile devices. I even stopped using it on my desktop computer since Youtube and most sites switched to HTML5.

It's also great being limited to installing apps only from the App Store. No wonder 99% of mobile malware targets Android. http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2342442/android-users-targeted-by-over-99-percent-of-mobile-malware

Ps. Hopefully Iphone will keep up with the size, and it won't be some kind of a girly phone, men want a big piece of software their hands not a phone for the gym.

iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were already announced. iPhone 6 comes with a 4.7" display and iPhone 6 Plus with a 5.5" display.

A 4.7" display is fine, but a 5.5" is a little big, people look ridiculous holding it up to talk on the phone. It looks more like a mini tablet and could be great if you don't plan to use much for calls, but you might as well get a tablet instead. Girls look even more ridiculous with a phone this size, it's almost as big as their head.

I posted it here yesterday and I was right.

Damn 3-4 weeks shipping because people pre-ordered the living dog shit out of the iPhone 6+ (all colors of the 128GB). Only the Gold iPhone 5S had that shipping status when I preordered my Silver iPhone 5S.

Here we go now, few months ago was anti russians propaganda, now is the week of pro Apple propaganda.

That's why I said that the main disadvantage of Iphone is that it doesn't come with Android, or with ubuntu for mobile that i think will be a really enjoyable experience.

Ps. Hopefully Iphone will keep up with the size, and it won't be some kind of a girly phone, men want a big piece of device in their hands not a phone for the gym.

Honestly I'm worried the 6+ will be too big. I should be able to handle it right in my hands, but I'm going to slap an Otterbox Defender on it, and I have no idea if it is going to fit in my pocket (and no I don't wear skinny jeans).

Not sure what you mean by calling 4 inch phone girly sized, as I've seen lots of women with phablets and thick cases, hell even more so than dudes. They have purses to carry those big ass bricks in.

Right now I have the LG G Flex and I still think that it's decent in size, it could have been a little bigger for my taste. Anyway 4'' is way too small, I had a vodafone phone bought with 1 dollar that ran Android 4.1.1, and was just a little smaller, barelly noticeble than the 4S, which is quite dissapointing taking into consideration that 4S costs hundreds of dollars.

Try to work in Excel on a 4'' screen, it's a pain in the ***, or to have to multitask.

nowdays my android just sitting there in my bag, and use it mostly only for social media and 2-3 mini games , i already switched to IOS for work because it's more stable and less crashing, already tried the customization things in my G2 like rooting , custom roms, tweaks init.d , etc and now i'm back in the stock rom with non root status because it's more stable and produce less heat :/

Right now I have the LG G Flex and I still think that it's decent in size, it could have been a little bigger for my taste. Anyway 4'' is way too small, I had a vodafone phone bought with 1 dollar that ran Android 4.1.1, and was just a little smaller, barelly noticeble than the 4S, which is quite dissapointing taking into consideration that 4S costs hundreds of dollars.

Try to work in Excel on a 4'' screen, it's a pain in the ***, or to have to multitask.

A phone bigger than 6"? Sounds like you need a tablet and you might as well get one.

Who actually works in excel on their phone, except maybe for viewing documents? You need to consider a tablet where the apps are designed for a larger display, if you actually want to do some real work and edit documents.

In my opinion, a device with such a display is too big to be used as a phone and too small for a tablet (and seems like you came to the same conclusion).

I would rather buy 2 great devices than 1 which wants to be both a phone and tablet, but fails to do both.

Even though it has a bigger screen than the iPhone 5s, the resolution is about the same, so you don't get much more real estate. iPhone 5s has a sharper display though since the display is smaller.

LG G Flex: 720 x 1280 pixels, 6.0 inches (~245 ppi pixel density), only 80 more pixels in width and 144 pixels in height than iPhone 5s, the difference is small

iPhone 5s: 640 x 1136 pixels, 4.0 inches (~326 ppi pixel density)

iPhone 6 has a higher resolution, so you get more real estate, meaning more stuff to fit on the screen.

iPhone 6: 750 x 1334 pixels, 4.7 inches (~326 ppi pixel density)

iPhone 6 Plus: 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.5 inches (~401 ppi pixel density)

While on the iPad even more screen real estate and of course a larger display.

iPad mini 2: 1536 x 2048 pixels, 7.9 inches (~324 ppi pixel density)

iPad Air: 1536 x 2048 pixels, 9.7 inches (~264 ppi pixel density)

10696379_10152670768636840_3222807105970

Aha....! I know the different is. Apple siluet for $465...

great show here !

Then a few minutes later Samsung comes along with a similar teapot, same price, except it's made from plastic.

xFU1CED.jpg

Archived