Asus P5Q mainboard problem

H4rDw4rE

Like stated in title I have problem with my mobo.

After month or so without using PC I powered it and everything seems ok, but after portable hdd pluged in usb port (on mainboard, not using extension cable or front usb ports on tower) windows reported device as USB 1.1 (disk recognizing takes few minutes which never happened before, most of the times windows recognize hdd in less than 15 sec).

That is not true (WD passport 500GB and My Passport 1TB use USB 2.0 standard) of course.

Tried another ports and figure out that none of them works with usb high speed and have problem with installing drivers (for new drives) because hdd doesn't get enough power to spin.

Using pen drives doesn't produce this error, so my thoughts goes to problem with power from usb ports.

Ok, seems that windows could be problem so I boot Linux Mint (Ubuntu also) Live and same s... hapens, portable hdd won't mount...

Tried with new windows 7 system (bought new WD Caviar Black hdd to replace old 250GB hdd) and same things happened.

Replaced VGA (nVidia 8800GT) with other vga to conclude could PSU be a problem -> same things.

PC works perfectly (if I forget usb ports :D ) so I don't think that PSU makes problem...

Bios is latest, reflashed to be sure that problem is not bios related.

Rest of PC configuration is:

CPU: C2D 8500 at stock frequency

RAM: 4GB 800MHz DDR2

PSU: Enermax 400W (450W in peak)

Anyone have idea what could make problem?

Sorry for long post (and poor English).

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try ext USB Hard drive on another box if possible - it maynot be your Mobo but the ext USB HDD .

Also if you have other USB Cable, try that too

Well... I could consider replacing the mobo battery and then a bios reflash... and then customize it to your likings.

After a month without use, the battery might have lost part of it's charge and the bios depends on the battery (how old is your mobo?).

Your PSU can be the culprit too, check if it's working properly with a multitester (not only volts, but amps)

Good luck!

update ur bios & turn off ur pc remove battery & power source + press the power button (10 sec)

if this didn't solve it then it maybe RAM problem (in some motherboards RAM can cause this to usb so try to unplug ur RAM & clean them & put them back ^_^ )

ok check this out- http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110323233749867&board_id=1&model=P5Q-E&SLanguage=en-us&page=1

Ok so just to report back on this issue and of course incase anyone else ever comes across this and is confused.

I now have 6x USB 2.0 ports to use and 4x USB 1.1 ports.

Basically out of the 6 built on to the motherboard the 2 top ones as you look at the back of that case are USB 2.0. The other 4 are 1.1's.

What i did was to use 2x USB adaptors that plugged in to the extra USB outputs at the bottom of the motherboard and these are all USB 2.0 ports.

Try ext USB Hard drive on another box if possible - it maynot be your Mobo but the ext USB HDD .

Also if you have other USB Cable, try that too

Tried already.

On my laptop everything works fine.

Tried another cable even original one work with laptop -> same story

Thanks for reply

Well... I could consider replacing the mobo battery and then a bios reflash... and then customize it to your likings.

After a month without use, the battery might have lost part of it's charge and the bios depends on the battery (how old is your mobo?).

Your PSU can be the culprit too, check if it's working properly with a multitester (not only volts, but amps)

Good luck!

Battery is not problem, if you boot to bios and make customizations it will keep it as long as PC is pluged to wall socket, but even battery is in perfect conditions (and is not too old).

Suspect to PSU but how everything works (make burn test with aida) and PC shows perfect conditions?

About multitester, well, didn't measure voltage across usb ports when plug portable hdd but I have some idea after not sleeping last night:D

On this mobo there is resetable fuses for every usb ports and will check them too.

About amps, what should I expect when plug hdd?

Should I expect that current should be lower than 500mA or should I measure drop voltage after plug hdd?

Could try that also...

update ur bios & turn off ur pc remove battery & power source + press the power button (10 sec)

if this didn't solve it then it maybe RAM problem (in some motherboards RAM can cause this to usb so try to unplug ur RAM & clean them & put them back ^_^ )

Can't be sure that is not RAM what makes trouble but what crossing my mind is how everything else works perfectly...

But will try RAM testing in next few days.

Thanks

ok check this out- http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110323233749867&board_id=1&model=P5Q-E&SLanguage=en-us&page=1

Ok so just to report back on this issue and of course incase anyone else ever comes across this and is confused.

I now have 6x USB 2.0 ports to use and 4x USB 1.1 ports.

Basically out of the 6 built on to the motherboard the 2 top ones as you look at the back of that case are USB 2.0. The other 4 are 1.1's.

What i did was to use 2x USB adaptors that plugged in to the extra USB outputs at the bottom of the motherboard and these are all USB 2.0 ports.

Hmmm, should windows (or linux) throw message what speed detected on port which doesn't support full speed?

First time I heard that this great mobo has something like that...will check it...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

just want to let you know that problem with my mobo has been solved :D .

After spent few hours with my equipment I find out why none of my portable discs didn't work properly.

Problem was related to lower voltage on USB ports.

Usualy it is about 5V.

My measurement shows about 4.3-4.4V.

After checking all ressetable fuses on mobo, all jumpers for USB ports I discovered that jumper marked USBPW were in wrong position :wtf:

How?

Honestly I don't know but after put it back into 1-2 position all problems solved B)

Anyone can believe that I didn't make any changes? :D

I don't :D , but I didn't, I swear ;)

Thank you all.

Archived