Help install windows 7 on gpt disk

john petal

Hello all....please help me

i want to install windows 7 profesional x64 on gpt disk,but fail

i follow this guide to make UEFI bootable usb

my problem is about "efi/boot folder". i can't find cdboot.efi, cdboot_noprompt.efi, efisys.bin, efisys_noprompt.bin

must i download windows 7.iso again? :( my internet connection very slow.... :duh:

thank's for help :) :D :fun:

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
knowledge-Spammer
cmd.pngFormat a hard drive with CommandPrompt
In Windows I would normally be driven to either format a drive through the Disk Management console or by right-clicking on a drive in Windows Explorer and selecting the “Format…” option, but there can be advantages to formatting a driver through Command Prompt. For example if you are reformatting a drive which previously had an Operating System on the drive you can find there are System Partitions on the drive which can’t be seen in Windows Explorer and refuse to format in the Disk Management console.

Note this is only a quick guide for Formatting Drives from Command Line, there are many more options available at your disposal. For a detailed insight to the options available for the DiskPart tool visit Microsofts Technet. In the example I have formatted an external hard drive for use of file storage in a Windows Operating System environment.

In order to format a drive through Command Prompt firstly lets open the prompt.

Click Start > Run and type “CMD”, pressing Enter should open a new terminal.

start_cmd.jpg

Start CMD

We need to next start the Disk Part tool, type “DISK PART” into the Command Line and press Enter.

start_disc_part.jpg

Start Disk Part

Next let’s display and identify which volume we would like to format. Type “list volume” and press Enter. You should see a list of available volumes. Identify the one which you wish to format, be careful selecting the wrong volume will spell disaster!

list_volume.jpg

List Volume

Type “select volume <x>” and press Enter, where <x> is the volume you wish to focus on.

select_volume.jpg

Select Volume

Type “clean” and press Enter. This removes any and all partition or volume formatting from the disk in focus.

clean.jpg

Clean

Type “create partition primary” and press Enter. This creates a primary partition on the current disk. After you create the partition, the focus automatically shifts to the new partition. It is possible to create multiple partitions if you like. To do this you would add the option size=<x> where <x> is the size in megabytes (MB) you would like the partition to be. If no size is specified, like in my example, the partition continues until there is no more unallocated space.

create_partition.jpg

Create Partition

Type “format fs=ntfs quick label=test” and press Enter. This will now perform a quick format, using a ntfs file system and labelling the drive “test”. You may wish to use the file system fat32 in place of ntfs if you would like to use the drive with other operating systems.

format.jpg

Format

Lastly type “assign letter <x>” and press Enter, where <x> is the letter you would like to assign the drive.

assign_drive_letter.jpg

Assign Drive Letter

You can close the Disk Part tool and Command Prompt using the “exit” command. You should now see your freshly formatted drive in My Computer, ready to use.

If you're still getting error then try this in the command prompt:
As always, make sure to backup your hard drive before proceeding.

diskpart
list disk
select disk <disk number>
clean
convert mbr
exit

you mean convert drive from gpt to mbr with formatting hard drive?how about my data?now,my data is 380GB and i don't have external hard drive...

you mean convert drive from gpt to mbr with formatting hard drive?how about my data?now,my data is 380GB and i don't have external hard drive...

seriously ?

u want to do all of this without an external storage to boot from...?

u can but it will be harder !!!

u can change the partition table to MBR without formatting or losing any of ur data !!!

+

u can use rufus to create a bootable uefi drive installer (win 7 & 8.1) on a GPT disk http://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-1.4.10.exe

u can change the partition table to MBR without formatting or losing any of ur data !!!

+

u can use rufus to create a bootable uefi drive installer (win 7 & 8.1) on a GPT disk http://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-1.4.10.exe

seriously ?

u want to do all of this without an external storage to boot from...?

u can but it will be harder !!!

i only ask about how to install windows 7 on gpt disk and my problem is about "efi/boot folder". i can't find cdboot.efi, cdboot_noprompt.efi, efisys.bin, efisys_noprompt.bin

anyone can upload "boot" folder for windows 7 x64?

i've tried rufus but error unsupported iso "when using UEFI target file,only EFI bootable ISO images are supported. Please select an EFI bootable ISO or set the target type to BIOS."

sorry for my bad english :D :)

even if i uploaded them from another sources they would match the boot.wim in urs unless its the same copy

mean ur pc wouldn't boot from it @@

even if i uploaded them from another sources they would match the boot.wim in urs unless its the same copy

so,i must download windows 7.iso supported uefi? :(

so,i must download windows 7.iso supported uefi? :(

yep + pre updated ^_^

Why do you think that the other files and folders are decent, if the boot folder isn't?

experience

obviously those file contain some kind of hash signature generated from the efi files in the boot.wim (in X:\sources\boot.wim )

Any legitimate ISO from Microsoft will contain the necessary boot files.......so if youre not using a pirated copy, you have nothing to worry about

There is no special "uefi" edition of Windows 7

Unless of course youre using a pirated copy thats been messed with by some random fool...and then, youre on your own there....

+

Using Rufus is possible to install Windows 7 / Windows 8 Dual-Booton a GPT disk without change partition table to MBR?

+

Using Rufus is possible to install Windows 7 / Windows 8 Dual-Booton a GPT disk without change partition table to MBR?

yep it is

last time i check but some windows 7 install sources doesn't support the modern uefi devices @@

another thing..His BIOS has to support UEFI in order to use GPT.

of course that s why his drive is GPT in the first place ^_*

but there r some old uefi bios s models that r a bit complicated

make sure you boot in efi mode and prepare the iso with /efi/boot

Preparing the USB Stick for UEFI
Check if the file 'BOOTX64.EFI' via the path \EFI\BOOT\ is available on the stick.
If this is not the case, you can copy the file to the stick by using one of the two methods below:
If access to the stick is via a UEFI-enabled computer with a Windows 7 (or higher) x64, the Bootloader can simply be copied and renamed to the stick. You can do this on the system partition under: C:\Windows\Boot\EFI for the file 'bootmgfw.efi and copy it to the stick in the \EFI\BOOT\ folder and rename this file BOOTX64.EFI.
The file bootmgfw.efi can also be extracted from a Windows 7 (or higher) x64 - DVD. It is located in the 2.7 GByte large archive Install.wim in the subdirectory \sources. The archive can be extracted with an archiving program. This file is located in the subdirectory "1" of the archive at 1\Windows\Boot\EFI\.

there couple type of uefi like 32 & 64 ... and many more

if u have the modern bios s then u will have to make ur usb partition table GPT + format the bootable partition to fat32 ^^ an copy window installation files into it

can you give me link for windows 7 pro x64?

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 Integrated August 2014 by software182

https://usersfiles.com/3evo7a1dtnu6

PASSWORD : www.software182.com

​i strongly recommend using win 8.1 on uefi !

+

if u like i can show u how to change ur partition table from GPT to mbr (it will take u 5 min or less ) without losing any of ur data ^_^

can you give me link for windows 7 pro x64?

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 Integrated August 2014 by software182

https://usersfiles.com/3evo7a1dtnu6

PASSWORD : www.software182.com

​i strongly recommend using win 8.1 on uefi !

+

if u like i can show u how to change ur partition table from GPT to mbr (it will take u 5 min or less ) without losing any of ur data ^_^

now i'm using windows 8.1 pro wmc x64 on uefi

how to convert gpt to mbr without losing any data?using software like AOMEI?

Archived