[Help] DVD Drive showing up in Safely Remove Hardware

NaJeEb303

HelL0 guys..

I have Dell Latitude D630 Laptop (Actually brought from friend for repair/clean install)

Today i updated the BIOS to the latest version

Loaded optimal default BIOS settings

Deleted/partitioned/formatted the whole Hard Drive

Clean installed new windows (Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x86 full updated)

Updated all drivers with DriverPack Solution 14

In short i clean installed the system..

Now the problem is, the DVD Drive (E:) is showing up in the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon in the system tray.., no idea why is this happening, noticed this in another laptop also a few days ago,, its really annoying..

Below is the screenshot:

LnzpPuQ.png

Please help solving this problem, sorry if given extra explanation and sorry for the bad English..

ThanX :rolleyes:

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an issue related with the way the machine was built and how the OS deal with the hardware.

I've notice that particularly on Asus laptops w/ Vista where they show also the HDD as a removable drive.

At that time I didn't find any solution to deal with that, but what I did was, install "USB Safely Remove" and under Drive Properties/General changed the Device's behaviour to "Always Hide" and that's it.

USB Safely Remove 5.2.3 @ //www.nsanedown.com/?request=38348838

HelL0 guys..

I have Dell Latitude D630 Laptop (Actually brought from friend for repair/clean install)

Today i updated the BIOS to the latest version

Loaded optimal default BIOS settings

Deleted/partitioned/formatted the whole Hard Drive

Clean installed new windows (Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x86 full updated)

Updated all drivers with DriverPack Solution 14

In short i clean installed the system..

Now the problem is, the DVD Drive (E:) is showing up in the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon in the system tray.., no idea why is this happening, noticed this in another laptop also a few days ago,, its really annoying..

Below is the screenshot:

LnzpPuQ.png

Please help solving this problem, sorry if given extra explanation and sorry for the bad English..

ThanX :rolleyes:

First things first, this is not a fault, youre using a laptop, its quite common for laptop DVD drives to be "removable"

Secondly i would never use DriverPack Solution....its a lazy way of doing things, often leading to a mess. always best to get drivers form the laptop makers site or individual hardware components site...

If you never had it before, its probably because Dell with their supplied (chipset driver) driver customised it to hide the drive...oh wait im getting back to my "never use DriverPack Solution" comment above.

If you really want to remove it, and you should probably just leave it be, then you can follow the instructions here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/974023/fix-ahci-sata-drives-showing-in-safely-remove-hardware

But make sure you know which channel the DVD drive is on on your laptop, and backup (export) the keys BEFORE messing with it.

No extra software needed.

Don't use driver pack solution or any other 3rd party provider.

Windows should have a generic driver for your DVD writer. If that didn't work, try downloading driver with my 'hardware ID" (link is in my sig) trick. If that fails too, contact your system menufacturer for support.

Guys guys.., lemme mention that DRP has not installed any driver for my DVD Drive as i know.., i always select expert mode in DRP and give look at the drivers available for the update., i dont just hit the update all button., so i know that the problem is not from the DRP..

If you really want to remove it, and you should probably just leave it be, then you can follow the instructions here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/974023/fix-ahci-sata-drives-showing-in-safely-remove-hardware

But make sure you know which channel the DVD drive is on on your laptop, and backup (export) the keys BEFORE messing with it.

Already gave a try to that but no luck.., my dvd drive letter is E: so i have to set as "Channel2" right?? (C: Channel0, D: Channel1, E: Channel2).., but after reboot, no change occured :(

Guys guys.., lemme mention that DRP has not installed any driver for my DVD Drive as i know.., i always select expert mode in DRP and give look at the drivers available for the update., i dont just hit the update all button., so i know that the problem is not from the DRP..

Already gave a try to that but no luck.., my dvd drive letter is E: so i have to set as "Channel2" right?? (C: Channel0, D: Channel1, E: Channel2).., but after reboot, no change occured :(

DriverPack Solution - the only driver it may have installed that would have an effect on the DVD is the Chipset driver....the chipset driver includes the files and reg entries for the north and southbridge, including of course the IDE/SATA channels...and anything attached to them. so if yuo applied the Chipset driver form DRP, then , yup its an uncustomised vendor driver file that had made your DVD drive appear as removable, as where before using the Dell one it may not have appeared as removable.

As for finding out which channel the DVD is on:

Open windows Explorer

click on Computer in left hand pane

Locate the DVD drive in bottom of window (should be last) under Devices With Removable Storage

Right click on DVD and click Properties

Switch to Hardware tab

With DVD selected in this tab, look at location info in bottom of tab....

Archived