Right-click context menu bug

rudrax

There used to be a right-click context menu for the modern UI apps in Windows 8.1 update. From yesterday, it was like disappeared. So now if I right-click on any of the modern app, similar to windows 8, it just shows check mark. There's no context menu.

Who stole my context menu? :angry:

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did u recently uninstalled ESET or any of its product ? Might be a cause :dunno:

Till someone comes with a solution u can use the space bar for the menu

Just go to ur Start Screen and press space bar, ur menus will be shown at the bottom of screen

@rkkdjb, thanks for the temp fix. I will ackowledge it soon.

@A.lemane, :rofl:

@tezza, well, I'm using the Aero RP theme which is owned by MS itself. I don't need to apply any patcher for that. I doubt, this is some kind of registry thing, which the RP theme doesn't contain. Please see if you can dig into this.

@tezza, well, I'm using the Aero RP theme which is owned by MS itself. I don't need to apply any patcher for that. I doubt, this is some kind of registry thing, which the RP theme doesn't contain. Please see if you can dig into this.

"well, I'm using the Aero RP theme",

The reason behind this problem is use of an incomplete (or incompatible) 3rd party theme aka visual style. Actually all previous Windows 8.1 themes require an update to add functionality of the new context menu on Start Screen.

Many theme developers have not updated their Windows 8.1 themes to match new Update 1, that's why if a Windows 8.1 user uses that incompatible theme after installing Update 1, he don't get the new context menu on Start Screen because the resources to show context menu on Start Screen are missing in that theme's .msstyles file.

SOLUTION:

Solution is very simple. Just apply default theme using Desktop personalization window and your problem will be solved. As soon as you apply default Windows theme, you'll be able to right-click.

askvg

May apply to this theme?

The RP theme that I'm using is not thouched by any 3rd party developer and that's why I'm being able to use it without any patcher. This theme may be missing the resources of the context-menu. So, if I want the context-menu, I can't use the RP theme?

The RP theme that I'm using is not thouched by any 3rd party developer and that's why I'm being able to use it without any patcher. This theme may be missing the resources of the context-menu. So, if I want the context-menu, I can't use the RP theme?

Try default theme first and see if problem fixed, if not due to something else.

Or revert back to default Windows theme -> right click to do whatever -> switch back to 3rd party theme.

Applied default theme. Restarted the PC. No luck!

If you are also using 8.1u1, can you please provide me the following registry strings from your PC?

HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\MenuPopup\HKCR\Launcher.ImmersiveApplication\shell\open

If you are also using 8.1u1, can you please provide me the following registry strings from your PC?

HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\MenuPopup\HKCR\Launcher.ImmersiveApplication\shell\open

Not able to at present as not at at my pc sorry,

but try the usual, sfc /scannow and then Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth cmd , and then we can try to figure out what may be the cause

Not able to at present as not at at my pc sorry,

but try the usual, sfc /scannow and then Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth cmd , and then we can try to figure out what may be the cause

I'm not in a hurry :wub:

sfc /scannow caused continuous BSOD once until I reformatted. The online Dism command may take ages to fix my system as I'm on 48k cellular connection.

Edit: @rkkdjb, your temp fix is working! Thanks buddy.

I'm not in a hurry :wub:

sfc /scannow caused continuous BSOD once until I reformatted. The online Dism command may take ages to fix my system as I'm on 48k cellular connection.

@rudrax online in above command does not mean u require internet connection

instead it only means the drive/partition/volume that are in operation, in other words 'online'

So u can try the above command :yes:

Archived