Google has released Chrome 37 64-bit to stable channel

Matsuda

google_chrome_64_bits.jpg

Google's popular web browser, Chrome, has a new version out for you to download, it's 64-bit (yes, 64-bit). The updated browser is now available for Windows, OS X and Linux users and includes updates to how fonts look on Windows and an updated password manager.

For Windows users, the best part of this update will be the support for DirectWrite, for improved font rendering which will make browsing the web even better; there are also a number of new apps/extension APIs and other stability improvements as well.

As with each new update, Google as awarded cash for security fixes. This time around the top reward was for $3000 for a combination of bugs in V8, IPC, sync, and extensions that can lead to remote code execution outside of the sandbox.

This update is especially important for the DiretWrite improvements, as it will help out with fonts on Neowin's front page. As you can tell, we released our updated design over the weekend and when Chrome has DirectWrite enabled, it improves the font rendering on our site.

If you are already running any version of Chrome 32-bit (or normal Chrome) you should follow the steps below first before you switch to 64-bit:

Additionally you can choose which Flash Player works best for you by accessing chrome://plugins and choosing either pepflashplayer.dll (native to Chrome) or NPSWF64_14_0_0_179.dll (updated Adobe Flash Player you optionally installed).

What are the advantages of the 64-bit versions over the standard 32-bit version you ask? Well Google claims that;

Speed: 64-bit allows Google to take advantage of the latest processor and compiler optimizations, a more modern instruction set, and a calling convention that allows more function parameters to be passed quickly by registers. As a result, speed is improved, especially in graphics and multimedia content, which sees an average 25 percent bump in performance.

Security: With Chrome able to take advantage of the latest OS features such as High Entropy ASLR on Windows 8, security is improved on 64-bit platforms as well. Those extra bits also help better defend against exploitation techniques such as JIT spraying, and improve the effectiveness of existing security defense features like heap partitioning.

Stability: Google has observed a marked increase in stability for 64-bit Chrome over 32-bit Chrome. In particular, crash rates for the renderer process (i.e. Web content process) are almost half.

You can download Chrome 37 64-bit (stable) for Windows 7 or 8 here, or Offline installer can be found here

Source wTAnz2s.png

• Replies 28
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably one of those programs that runs from the x86 folder.

But the processes are x64. Just open the task manager and see for yourselves. ;)

But the processes are x64. Just open the task manager and see for yourselves. ;)

This is impossible to work as 64 bit program from Program Files (x86)! Absurd!

When you open the task manager the x86 processes have a *32 in front of them, and the x64 processes have nothing!

There are several programs like that, go see for yourself. ^_^

When FF will go x64?

I wonder what it took/takes them so long to develop a 64bit version?

FF is 64-bit, but then its name is Waterfox or Cyberfox or Pale Moon or Firefox Nightly 64-bit or....

Hell then just put it into your x64 folder. Shut it down in task manager copy it to your program files folder. Then take ownership of your x86 folder and delete it. Wala true x64, Simple

This will work but you can't update.

sshot_1.png

Why the heck Google would put a 64bit application in the default programs folder of 32 bit applications?

Hell, it's all fxxked up.

chrome 64 bit is perceptible fast. but still i will stick to FF as it displays the font rendering much better than chrome

Hell then just put it into your x64 folder. Shut it down in task manager copy it to your program files folder. Then take ownership of your x86 folder and delete it. Wala true x64, Simple

I will try to change path during installation. Will it work? :unsure:

The new rendering mode, DirectWrite screwed up big time fonts, just like I remember that the case was with Firefox,back in the days when they didn't release new versions a la Chrome mode. Had to "Enable" "Disable DirectWrite".

I will try to change path during installation. Will it work? :unsure:

Don't know how you would manage to do that since there is no window prompt that will enable you to change the install directory...

chrome 64 bit is perceptible fast. but still i will stick to FF as it displays the font rendering much better than chrome

i must agree with you even i am using google chrome as my main browser ... but if u check google chrome under Linux u will see better fonts render ...

KamenRiderBlack

updated to the 64bit version, and wow, i like it. it's insanely fast!

Purple Trail

Chrome installs fine for me under "c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\" as usual.

But I always use the offline installer. Plus it doesn't show "unknown-m" after the version number.

So far, font rendered with DirectWrite on Firefox looks much better than on Chrome. Glad Firefox is my main browser. My DPI is set at the default 100% value.

TIQD9cJ.png

The new rendering mode, DirectWrite screwed up big time fonts, just like I remember that the case was with Firefox,back in the days when they didn't release new versions a la Chrome mode. Had to "Enable" "Disable DirectWrite".

Google Chrome Font Rendering Without DirectWrite:--

O0MGDK0.png

Google Chrome Font Rendering With DirectWrite:--

o6yZPOA.png

Mozilla Firefox Font Rendering (Obviously Without DirectWrite Support):--

hVkCsyp.png

Google Chrome Font Rendering with DirectWrite Support for the very same page:--

I9G20m9.png

One should remember, ATM sites which supports DirectWrite Font Rendering (In our Example - Neowin.net) will ultimately look much better with Chrome Browser as compared to others without the said support. :yes:

Now, Choice is yours. :)

You can disable DirectWrite on the chrome://flags page. This forces Chrome to return to the previous renderer.

Here is how you do that:

• Load chrome://flags/ in the browser's address bar.
  • Locate Disable DirectWrite on the page, for instance by hitting F3 to open the on-page search option.
  • Alternatively, load chrome://flags/#disable-direct-write directly.
  • Click on the disable link, this turns it off.
  • Restart Chrome.

disable-directwrite.jpg

Source

One should remember, ATM sites which supports DirectWrite Font Rendering (In our Example - Neowin.net) will ultimately look much better with Chrome Browser as compared to others without the said support. :yes:

Now, Choice is yours. :)

It's all nice and good, but with the lack of DW support it's pretty much useless, and it depends on the monitor's size also of the usefulness. For me it screwed the forums a lot, had to disable it. Also didn't help when I fiddled with ClearType also.

Archived