Windows 9 aka Threshold to have more powerful update functionality.

geeteam

Recent leaks have unveiled Microsoft's plan to give Windows a serious improvement over predecessors. Currently, Windows can update itself to fix bugs or security holes, but maybe in the future Windows will be able to easily upgrade the operating system too. Currently, in internal builds of Windows 9, this functionality is available.

startmenuwindows9_r1_c1_0%5B1%5D_0.jpg

When the technical preview is released to customers, this ability to upgrade the build from Windows Update may or may not be present. Nevertheless, Microsoft may build this functionality into the final release of the operating system. Giving customers a simple and reliable way to upgrade their OS without reformatting and reinstalling their system would be a well received feature.

This feature also aligns with Microsoft's plan to increase the speed of their release cycle. On a rapid release cycle, Microsoft needs to be able to deliver features in smaller sizes to get them to customers faster. Smaller feature sets means more builds of Windows, this would mean users would need a way to make incremental changes to their build without refreshing their computers every time.

Having the ability for Microsoft to make more rapid changes to its OS also enables them to react faster to a changing market. In the future, Microsoft will be able to deliver more substantial fixes to Windows based on feedback and the current state of the art.

Microsoft is expected to talk publicly about Windows 9 on September 30th.

Source 1

Source 2

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid MS.

I prefer small patches and hate large patches. WTF MS? I bought a new car and it has to go to body shop to change its windshield, or hood cover, or whatever large piece every single month? WTF is wrong with you M$?? :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Cool I like this, it saves formatting and reinstalling all programs

and after that you'll get your OS full of crap/trash and an enormous big registry!

yes but what about the size of the registry after each upgrade

and after that you'll get your OS full of crap/trash and an enormous big registry!

don't think so, because it can cleanup the registry too.

yes but what about the size of the registry after each upgrade

don't think so, because it can cleanup the registry too.

We shall see

MidnightDistortions

I have not needed to do a clean installation or restore from an early image since XP. Only had to do them when i wanted to add other, older OS's to W7 but otherwise if the OS works fine then i have nothing to worry about.

Archived