August Xbox One system update brings 3D, remote downloads

Reefa

White-Xbox-One-640x353.png

Good news, Xbox One fans! This month’s system update is rolling out today, and it adds some long-awaited features. 3D Blu-ray support, remote game downloads, and improved notifications are all being added. These frequent additions and refinements certainly aren’t a panacea for the Xbox One’s public perception problems, but these monthly updates go a long way in reassuring existing owners that Microsoft isn’t resting on its laurels.

In a post on the Major Nelson blog, Larry Hryb details all of the new features we can expect to see in the August update. There are six bullet points on this list, but it can be simplified to three major changes. First and foremost among them, this update adds in the 3D Blu-ray support we were promised last month.

Hot on the heels of the release of 3D Blu-ray support on the PS4 last month, the Xbox One now supports this feature as well. If your TV is 3D-capable, you’ll now be able to enjoy 3D Blu-rays like Gravity and Avatar. Of course, stereoscopic 3D gaming remains possible on both the Xbox One and PS4, but neither company seems interested in pursuing that angle. Considering that many Xbox One games struggle to hit decent frame rates at 1080pwithout 3D support, rendering two different perspectives at once would only make matters worse.

Anaglyph.jpeg

Secondly, remote game downloads are now functional on the Xbox One. If you purchase a game or DLC on the Xbox website or through SmartGlass, you’ll now have the option to automatically download that content to your console. Similar functionality exists with thePS4 and Sony’s website, so it’s nice to see Microsoft keeping pace in that regard.

Finally, this update dramatically improves notifications in a number of ways. When your controller’s battery is running low, you’ll now receive an on-screen notification. If you browse your friends list, you’ll now see how long it’s been since any individual has logged in — very useful for pruning your list. Tired of seeing notifications while you’re watching a movie? Now you have the ability to silence them during video playback.

However, the most dramatic change to notifications is the addition of Facebook-like social networking. Besides the simple “SmokeDawg420 is playing Call of Duty: Ghosts” messages in your activity feed, you can also add text posts in the style of a tweet or a status update. Of course, the Facebookification wouldn’t be complete without the ability to “Like” these posts as well. I’m sure this is useful to someone, but it just seems like superfluous “me-too” functionality in my eyes. Regardless, this update packs in enough new functionality to satisfy any Xbox One owner — for now.

Source

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant make up my mind which console to get>The sony controllers seem to break easy but the look of games is better.The xbone seems low tech and full of crap I dont want in the software.ie tv ect.Which one do u all have ?

I cant make up my mind which console to get>The sony controllers seem to break easy but the look of games is better.The xbone seems low tech and full of crap I dont want in the software.ie tv ect.Which one do u all have ?

If you mostly game get the PS4. It has more power in the tank for the future than the Xbox One does.

I have a PS4 (and PS2/PS3), never any Xbox consoles.

PS4, because M$ want's me to pay an additional £40.00 a year for the net I already pay for and the TV I wish to stream I already pay for via netflix... Not something I have todo on the PS3.

Btw, My opinion is much more informed than just the above statement, but surely that's enough!.

Archived