Microsoft pulls August Windows update after crashes

KamenRiderBlack

KamenRiderBlack

Microsoft has pulled its August update after users reported crashes and issues restarting their systems, and is currently recommending users uninstall the update.

Microsoft said that it had discovered three issues with the updates associated with its August updates last week (specifically updates 2982791, 2970228, 2975719, and 297533), otherwise known as the security and feature updates that began rolling out on August 2.

Microsoft updated security bulletin MS14-045 on Friday to warn users of “behavior” associated with the update. “Microsoft is investigating behavior associated with the installation of this update, and will update this bulletin when more information becomes available,” the company wrote. “Microsoft recommends that customers uninstall this update. As an added precaution, Microsoft has removed the download links to the 2982791 security update.”

MS14-045 applies to Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, plus Windows Vista and Windows Server 2003.

Specifically, Microsoft identified three known issues regarding the “behavior” it had seen when users installed the update: first, fonts that were installed in a location other than the default fonts directory (%windir%\fonts\) cannot be changed when they are loaded into any active session, essentially locking them in; second, fonts don’t render correctly. The third issue is the most critical, however: Microsoft said that it is investigating reports that systems may crash with a “0x50 Stop error message” after the updates are installed.

If you have downloaded the updates already, don’t worry—there is a fix, but it will also require a bit of tinkering with the registry file. The same security bulletin details the steps you’ll need to take: you’ll need to enter the Windows Recovery Environment, delete the fntcache.dat file, reboot, export the file, delete the file again, uninstall the updates, reboot, and reimport the font file. (Be sure and use the linked support document above as your guide.)

InfoWorld noted earlier this week that several users had complained of problems associated with the update, and that a user had discovered how to fix the font problem.

Before this month, Microsoft had periodically issued major software updates, such as Windows 8.1, that had provided significant feature upgrades to its operating system. In August, however, it moved away from that practice, now pairing a smaller number of feature enhancements in conjunction with its monthly security updates.

Microsoft also issued a hotfix to all major versions of Internet Explorer on Friday, a patch that was unrelated to the Windows update recall. That patch solved issues with Microsoft's browser after multiple dialog windows would cause it to slow down or halt.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2465631/microsoft-pulls-august-windows-update-after-crashes.html

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Precisely why I do not rush to install MS monthly updates. I typically wait 7-10 days after patch Tuesday to install any updates. By then any rogue updates are found out and I can avoid any problems associated with them.

KamenRiderBlack

It might be a case to case basis, i never had any problems with the updates, installed them the same day they became available.

I admire these MS coders. It's really a shame the shitty work they pushed out to all users prematurely.

Whoever coded that faulted code should be fired the next day.

KamenRiderBlack

So should I uninstall this update even though my pc is working fine?

No need to uninstall.

Not got a problem on Windows 7 x 3 machines in my house.

Only problem is my sons win 8.1 won't even download them.

MidnightDistortions

Precisely why I do not rush to install MS monthly updates. I typically wait 7-10 days after patch Tuesday to install any updates. By then any rogue updates are found out and I can avoid any problems associated with them.

I do the same, funny though that some people out there think that by not installing updates right away you are at risk. I let others test it out before installing any updates as i don't want my system compromised by the update.

‘Windows 8.1 August Update failure only affected 0.01% of the systems’

"I think it would be irresponsible to say in the security bulletin
to not uninstall due to the severity of the problem IF you hit it, but I'm not uninstalling. You need to make
your own decision on that of course."

http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-1-august-update-failure-only-affected-0-01-of-the-systems-72502/?PageSpeed=noscript

‘Windows 8.1 August Update failure only affected 0.01% of the systems’

"I think it would be irresponsible to say in the security bulletin

to not uninstall due to the severity of the problem IF you hit it, but I'm not uninstalling. You need to make

your own decision on that of course."

http://www.myce.com/news/windows-8-1-august-update-failure-only-affected-0-01-of-the-systems-72502/?PageSpeed=noscript

It appears most of the affected systems were running on Windows 7?

Archived