Deja vu all over again: Windows 7 will be the new XP

anuseems

Computerworld reports that Gartner analysts today urged organizations to start planning for the end of Windows 7

Microsoft has pledged to support Windows 7 until Jan. 14, 2020, or five years and five months from today. The company's "Mainstream" support -- the front end of a 10-year stretch -- ends Jan. 13, 2015, but the firm will continue to provide security patches for the popular OS for another five years after that in its "Extended" support phase.

With more than five years left on the support clock -- and with many enterprises having just wrapped up their migration to Windows 7 -- why start planning now?

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9250384/Deja_vu_all_over_again_Windows_7_will_be_the_new_XP

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you know why ?

Cause Windows 8 / 8.1 is/are the second iteration of Windows Millennium / Vista.

If Windows 9 won't be a full 180 degrees turnover from the "One OS fits it all" concept then Windows 7 will indeed stay with us for the next 10 years till MS will stop supporting it... And then people will start to look for alternatives.... Some already do or even - did find one.

5F7Wk2b.gif I hope not - since XP is rolling and twisting in its grave.

5F7Wk2b.gif I hope not - since XP is rolling and twisting in its grave.

Ouch, dcs18...that hurt!! lol :showoff: :showoff: :showoff:

MS seem to work in a "tick-tock" basis. where a "tick" is a stable, solid iteration and a "tock" being experimental and buggy. to me, that's the only explanation for Me, Vista and 8 ever existing.

And you know why ?

Cause Windows 8 / 8.1 is/are the second iteration of Windows Millennium / Vista.

If Windows 9 won't be a full 180 degrees turnover from the "One OS fits it all" concept then Windows 7 will indeed stay with us for the next 10 years till MS will stop supporting it... And then people will start to look for alternatives.... Some already do or even - did find one.

I just switched to Chromebook as my main laptop (I still have a desktop running Windows 7 though) , I was septical at the beggining but now I found Chromebook to be enought for my daily (and probably 95% of users) use.

Oh yes it will, i just reintalled Windows 7 to get rid of this crappy Win 8.1 Update, what a wasted time :/

Personally, it wouldn't bother me if Microsoft laid Windows 7 to rest, as I have both Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8.1 Update Pro, as well.

Might just decide to migrate my Windows 7 completely to Windows 8 or, to the latest Microsoft offering whenever they decide to depreciate Windows 7 to XP state.

Sounds about right I bought a new XP sp3 right before the free upgrade of windows 7 came out because I really did not want Vista but my mom got a new Vista and when her windows 7 disk came in to upgrade I upgraded mine from XP to Vista to Windows 7 And upgraded my mom to windows 7 :P If the activation going be as hard as they say in Windows 9 most pirates are going to stick with older windows in 2015 anyway . Only time will tell . :D

it's normal for people to resist change but the change is coming and any leader (even if many in this forum) criticism being Microsoft; will never back down, history can change, will and might not; all you know the best windows could be on the way... this is life

MidnightDistortions

I'm not getting rid of Windows 7. After W7 is done, Linux will be my main OS and i can already do this if i want. If W9 is successful MS doesn't have much to worry about but MS will have to work twice as hard now.

it's normal for people to resist change but the change is coming and any leader (even if many in this forum) criticism being Microsoft; will never back down, history can change, will and might not; all you know the best windows could be on the way... this is life

Every since Microsoft has made windows history for them never changed Windows 98 1st edition was bad even it was not tell they made Windows 98 second edition that it became a stable O/S ME was a very bad O/S it crashed all the time XP was not very good at 1st tell they added the SP but before firewall update in SP2 you could get infected by being online in a short while . Vista was a flop just like ME and Windows 7 out the box with no updates is not that stable ether it was after SP1 it became really stable. Windows 8.1 has even got more stable since I been using it and doing windows updates . But it still dont change the fact its a Flop like ME/Vista . People have got tired of buying new windows just to have to buy new ones . Its like when a new windows 1st comes out its still fells like Beta and they improve it over time and then they expect you to buy new ones and experience it all over again. this is due to deadlines on when windows has to be pushed out.

Even after support runs out for windows 7 without SP1 there be many places you can down sp 1 not from Microsoft I have just SP1 on a portable USB that Ive had since April 2011. :D

Just like XP you can download whole images with every update that ever existed I have some them I mess with in VM.

Archived