{Help] Hardware Issue Causing Cold Freezing after Startup

mazigh

Hi All,

Since a month I'm facing an annoying issue about cold freezing mostly after startup (mostly 1 min till 3 min after Desktop is shown), I was thinking it was caused by a software or driver but after some testings and especially after a clean format from Win 8.1u1 to Windows 7 SP1 "all x64" I have concluded that it's a hardware issue after seeing the same cold freezing on Windows 7 SP1, So I'm here to seek a potential help about the possible hardware piece that is causing this, to be more clear the cold freezing happens with an annoying sound if I'm playing any audio file, I'm always forced to shutdown using the button after the issue happens, sometimes I boot up 3 times till 4 times to make it work fine, a friend told me that it may be caused by RAM but I'm still not sure, Any help will be appreciated, Thanks

NB: 1-HDD seems fine , 2- GPU maybe but Don't think so as I see its temperature mostly between 59 and 66 Celcuis as I'm using external fan

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm.... do u use hibernate mode? :think:

hmmm.... do u use hibernate mode? :think:

No, Only shutdown mode :)

I had the same issue.Check ur RAM

Thanks, I'll check it ASAP, BTW I already used "Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool" command (mdsched.exe) but found no errors

Edit: how did you fixed it? by changing the RAM stick?

A long shot, but have you installed the motherboard drivers ?

Also stresstesting doesn't always show any issues, take one stick out and boot, take anothert stick out and boot, whilst your at it, swap your SATA leads.

jimbojet2011

Sounds like a defective videocard or chipset

After a time when the system is started up the connections will come together so the issue will not continue

When the system is cold after a start it will repeat again and again

Windows memory test is not reliable. Memtest86+ is what I've used and it never missed an error.

Test your memory sticks one by one, in every memory slot, then two by two, three and four (if you have). That way you not only test the memory also the slots (MB).

For video card I suggest to unmount it and clean it. For me, those temps are above the normal (I have an ASUS HD7770 that runs at 36°C and jumps up to 55°C when playing games, overclocked).

Also check the temperature of your CPU and if the CPU fan is working. Maybe you should add a case fan or clean it if you have one.

A faulty chipset don't let you do an OS installation without issues since it takes more than 3 minutes.

Good luck!

Do a Ram test... Remove all memory, Place 1 stick in slot 1, start PC... If you have over 2 slots of memory (4 Slots) and have over 2 sticks (4 Sticks). Cycle through your memory...

1st stick in Slot 1, start PC

1st stick in slot 2, start PC

1st stick in slot 3, start PC

1st stick in slot 4, start PC

repeat for each stick of memory you have in all the slots.

Switch off your electricals - pull off all your cables free on both the ends (I am assuming you were referring to a desktop - not a laptop.)

Blow off all the visible dust from your cabinet internals - using a vacuum cleaner (or, your favorite method of cleaning.) Clean off the dust especially from all your fan blades, too (preferably by dismantling the fan units.) If it is a laptop - ensure that the vents are completely clog-free. Ensure replacing the thermal paste of your heat-sink.

While you are at it, extricate your RAM sticks and rub them clean with an eraser - don't switch on your mains until all peripherals are seated back fully, in place.

Dis-assemble, clean (be careful with the socket BGA or LGA whatever it is, don't let any dirt go in there), clean the thermal paste from the heat sink of both CPU and GPU, apply new and then re-assemble.

If GPU is faulty, and if your MOBO has an Express chipset, you can try booting your system without the dedicated GPU (you may have lower resolution display in this case).

If that doesn't solve anything, visit service center.

stylemessiah

Switch off your electricals - pull off all your cables free on both the ends (I am assuming you were referring to a desktop - not a laptop.)

Blow off all the visible dust from your cabinet internals - using a vacuum cleaner (or, your favorite method of cleaning.) Clean off the dust especially from all your fan blades, too (preferably by dismantling the fan units.) If it is a laptop - ensure that the vents are completely clog-free. Ensure replacing the thermal paste of your heat-sink.

While you are at it, extricate your RAM sticks and rub them clean with an eraser - don't switch on your mains until all peripherals are seated back fully, in place.

Good sound advice buddy, of all the times ive seen lockups and freezes that couldnt be attributed to windows and drivers, its been either one of the prime suspects - RAM or overheating (overheating most commonly in laptops as they have quite strict thermal tables in bios usually). Theres always the outside chance its the motherboard - i hate that when that happens!

OP:

Just out of interest, can you replicate the issue in Safe Mode?

Thanks a lot for all helpers above, Good recommendations, I have put 2GB RAM from friend's laptop in mine (Laptop) and the issue still occurs, therefore RAM is not the problem, Now I have a strong feeling that it's a GPU issue as since the last two days got a blue-screens related to NVIDIA process, ASAP will go to a repairer and feedback what was the real issue :)

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the repairer, told me that it's a GPU issue, the same I had since 7 months ago, told me that soldering it for the second time (I already did once) may make the GPU not working anymore what do you think will be the best solution? find another compatible GPU? and are they available at good price?

NB:

1- Found a topic talking about the same issue here

2- my GPU : NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS and BTW found something interesting about this model

806702ea4e.png

That's a pretty old GPU my friend. But as you have it so, I will recommend, try soldering again (which you must do as you have no other option). If worked, it will give you a few months more time or you may want to sell it on ebay or elsewhere. If soldering 2nd time makes your laptop dead, then they will change the mobo which will cost 1/4 of the total laptop price. Explore these things and see what fits you. After repair, sell it. Don't keep it as it will be the pain in your a$s.

Buy a new one.

Archived