Windows 8.1 'August Update' now available for download

geeteam

Microsoft has released the 'August Update' for Windows 8.1 which will be part of a new monthly release cycle that will bring minor enhancements to the OS. For those of you who do not want to wait for the update to be delivered via the Windows Update feature built into the platform, we have posted the direct download link at the bottom of this post.

screen_shot_2014-08-11_at_10.18.30_pm_st

Microsoft has said that the following updates will be included for Windows 8.1 users:

• Precision touchpad improvements – three new end-user settings have been added: Leave touch pad on when a mouse is connected; allow right-clicks on the touchpad; double-tap and drag.
  • Miracast Receive – exposes a set of Wi-Fi direct APIs for Independent Hardware Vendor (IHV) drivers or OEM drivers to develop Windows 32-bit applications that run on all supported x86-based or x64-based versions of Windows 8.1, enabling the computer as a Miracast receiver.
  • Minimizing login prompts for SharePoint Online – reduces the number of prompts with federated use in accessing SharePoint Online sites. If you select the “Keep me signed in” check box when you log on for the first time, you will not see prompts for successive access to that SharePoint Online site.

While this update may not be all the large in terms of new features, if the company does keep to its promise and deliver updates on a regularly monthly schedule, much like the Xbox team, then these incremental updates will eventually turn into a sizeable improvement over the coming months.

Download Links

August Update x86

August Update x64

Source

• Replies 41
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice!!!

Not yet been deployed via Windows Update, yet - should be through within the next couple of hours, though. yXZVmpE.gif

Nice!!!

Not yet been deployed via Windows Update, yet - should be through within the next couple of hours, though. yXZVmpE.gif

Yeah i guess... you heard it first on nsane :)

so... this is why i've been this morning pushing windows update to search for new updates :showoff:

EDIT:

only 100MB's for x86 (more or less) :huh:

and about 180MB's for x64?

i'm running x64 Win 8.1 Up1 x64

i wondering when iso will be available? :guns:

I don't think there is goging to be any new ISO this time.

Installed with no issues-I don't notice any changes. Probably not necessary for many. Detailed change log, anyone?

i got windows update..but altogehter its shown only 220 mb .did i miss anything?

sumone told its abt 1.5 gb.hows that possible?

knowledge-Spammer

ok i download and installed and rest pc all worked fine but now everytime i open firefox it redownload the files i have install ?y it keep redownloading the files for i have them installed? windows 8.1 64bit

mKeLAHB.png?1?2081

edit fixed now

k my doubt cleared.i have no office on my w 8.1

thank u

People hyped and speculated for so long, for such a weak sauce update.

Best to just stick with 3rd Party UI mods until Windows 8.

Reminds me of the "analysts" who claim next iPhone every year will be made of graphene and capable of time travel to attempt to pump and sell the stock.

Do you think this has something to do with UltraUXThemePatcher or similar theme patcher? I've really been wanting to do custom themes lately, but I've heard so many stories about theme fixes creating a blinking desktop like you described or something crazy like that. I just don't want to go through resetting everything every time a big update comes around.

i download this said August update, but after i installed it, i notice that there's a new update in my laptop, it comes with security update, internet explorer updates, windows updates and many other, not the office updates, it was published yesterday, August 12, so now i downloading it today, maybe this is the real "August Update"

Do you think this has something to do with UltraUXThemePatcher or similar theme patcher? I've really been wanting to do custom themes lately, but I've heard so many stories about theme fixes creating a blinking desktop like you described or something crazy like that. I just don't want to go through resetting everything every time a big update comes around.

F3h9xqz.gif That is a really good example of troubleshooting (those Theme Patchers are responsible for most of these sort of issues) - in my case though, I no longer have any Theme Patcher installed.

I believe that probably one or more of my Group Policies pertaining to File Explorer is/are not permitting explorer.exe to be updated - I could well be wrong (anyways waiting for the ISO.)

I don't think others will necessarily be affected like I am. yXZVmpE.gif

F3h9xqz.gif That is a really good example of troubleshooting (those Theme Patchers are responsible for most of these sort of issues) - in my case though, I no longer have any Theme Patcher installed.

I believe that probably one or more of my Group Policies pertaining to File Explorer is/are not permitting explorer.exe to be updated - I could well be wrong (anyways waiting for the ISO.)

I don't think others will necessarily be affected like I am. yXZVmpE.gif

I got a BSOD. Had to system restore.But I selected ALL updates.

I have UXTheme Multi-Patcher 12.0 – Enhanced compatibility installed.

I'll investigative after work.

This is another thing that show how much windows is breakable when try to tweak it for your eyes , unlike linux which can tweak and kick and still can get update what so ever... :duh:

I'd rather use something that might break occasionally but, keeps me invested and interested with its drop-dead looks and amazingly swift work-flow - rather than use something that does not break but bores me, to death and takes a retarded long time to accomplish by way of productivity.

BTW, this is the first time folks might have witnessed Windows failing on me - easily redeemable within 12 minutes, thanks to Acronis (that actually is one of the hallmarks of Windows - cross-compatibility.)

Moral:--

Windows breaks itself - Linux breaks people.

Archived