Windows 8.1 Update 2 coming Aug 12; will actually be called 'August Update'

Matsuda

1_win-8.1-4_story.jpg

Last week, a rumour emerged via a Russian site, claiming that Microsoft was planning to deliver the second update to Windows 8.1 on August 12. The screenshot that supported that information referred to an upcoming 'August update'.

Today, Rod Trent from Windows IT Pro reports that one of his sources has confirmed that info as correct, and the update will be delivered on the next Patch Tuesday, August 12.

His source also confirmed what the update will be called. Some had expected that it might be named "Windows 8.1 Update 2", or perhaps even "Windows 8.2". Sadly, it seems that Microsoft still suffers from being hopeless when it comes to naming things - following on from the Windows 8.1 Update that was released earlier this year, the next update will be called "August Update".

Could the choice of name indicate that Microsoft might shift to a monthly update cadence for Windows 8.1? Sadly, that's not what we're hearing at the moment - in fact, this may well be the last significant update for Windows 8.1 before the next major Windows release, codename Threshold, arrives early next year.

While the previous update was mandatory, the August Update will not be, so you can - for whatever reason - choose not to install it, and you'll still be able to get other updates without issue. However, if you want to install the August Update, you must have installed Windows 8.1 Update previously.

Microsoft will reportedly announce the August Update next week, ahead of its rollout on Patch Tuesday.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-81-update-2-coming-aug-12-will-actually-be-called-039august-update039

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcs18

• mjall

• Matsuda

• Zigen

Top Posters In This Topic

"From what my sources are saying, Microsoft is unlikely to deliver a third update to Windows 8.1 later this fall. There are some who believe the company could opt to deliver one more update to Windows 8.1 that would include some new features, possibly this fall. But others said the operating systems team is leaning toward putting all the wood behind the Windows 9 arrow, while continuing to deliver small monthly updates and fixes to Windows 8.1 until Windows 9/Threshold arrives" - Mary Jo Foley stated.

First they have promised to "us" -- the Win 8/8.1 users that the Start Menu will come back with the update... now they are moving it to Win9....

Well... I can only say - if I wouldn't use a Start-Menu replacement now ... I would be pretty much pis*ed right now...

Glad the stupid Metro flaunting Microsoft Start Menu is not gonna be shipped with the Windows Update 2. tRsCXmU.gif

Boo haha. It probably contain lots of flaws. When update 1 was released, I couldn't update it for weeks due to some error. Took them long enough for me to update successfully.

never faced any issues with the upgrades to date, in the end, not sure as to why we need to criticize as in the end, all they are doing is fixing things for our own sake, otherwise as the old saying, if you can't take it, get rid of it, that's my motto if you don't like MS products or any other product, just stop winning and don't use it otherwise cherish the hard work of it's creators, there is so much of pessimism man, just enjoy life!

Personally, no issue/s here - getting to Update 1 or even any other version of Windows for that matter.

FWIW, have been following the simple principle of a full, clean install, all along - never, patching through an over-install.