XBMC is getting a new name!

Pedrito

We are excited to announce that the media center software we’ve all loved for so many years will have a new name, starting with version 14. Instead of XBMC 14, we’d like to introduce you to Kodi 14.

Since 2002, the software known as XBMC has gone through three namings. First, it was called Xbox Media Player. Upon realizing that it did a bit more than your traditional media player, in 2004 the development team elected to rename it Xbox Media Center. A mere 4 years later in 2008, the team once again elected to rename the software to simply XBMC, given that it had moved on from its original roots on the Xbox. Support for the Xbox was dropped shortly thereafter. Today it’s all happening one last time.

Real World Problems
Six years have passed since the Xbox Media Center became XBMC, and simply put, “XBMC” fits less now than it did even in 2008. The software only barely runs on the original Xbox, and then only because some clever developers are still hacking on that platform. It has never run on the Xbox 360 or Xbox One.

Furthermore, while the software still acts as a media center, it also hosts addons, loads games, streams content to and from numerous devices, and can ultimately act as a complete replacement for whatever platform it is hosted on. Indeed, XBMC today is far more an Entertainment Center than a simple Media Center.

In essence both the “XB” and “MC” simply don’t make a whole lot of sense any more.

Legal Problems
Beyond the nonsensical nature of the software’s name, there is a secondary issue. Because “XBMC” was originally based on the name Xbox, the developers of the software (that’s us) have never had any sort of legal control over the use of its name, which has resulted in a whole slew of problems.

In the past few years, we have seen the mass confusion that resulted from this lack of control first hand. Users have been fooled into wasting money buying boxes running hacked and typically broken versions of XBMC. News sites and blogs have gotten caught in confusing language numerous times. Unrelated fan communities, often founded under the best of intentions, have found themselves under attack, simply because no guidelines existed to simplify the process of clearly distinguishing themselves from the XBMC Foundation. What’s more, the Foundation itself and all of its developers have always operated under a potential legal threat from other companies that did have a legal trademark in a similar name. And that legal threat has actually gotten more problematic in recent years.

Because all these problems have been getting more and more pronounced, the Foundation decided to review its options with the help of the legal team at the Software Freedom Law Center. In the end, it was decided renaming the software that we all love so much was the most realistic solution. We’ve done it twice before. We believe this time Kodi will be the name we can keep forever.

kodi-splash-600x336.png

Original article at the official site: http://xbmc.org/introducing-kodi-14/

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pedrito

• software182

• avmad

• Whi5t1eR

Top Posters In This Topic

KODi ? well, that sounds weird for me :s

Weird or not I think it's much better than XBMC. ^_^

Badly needed a new name. Anything that's not xbox would do.

"In essence both the “XB” and “MC” simply don’t make a whole lot of sense any more." :tooth:

Dude, thats the name of my daughter :(

software182

Dude, thats the name of my daughter :(

Oh God, I'm really sorry for that :(, I didn't mean about something bad with this new xbmc name especially your beloved daughter...

I apologize if I hurt you and say something bad :(

Edited by software182

wow. I didn't know that it didn't work on the newer xboxes.

I just thought that it was an indepent server for them.

Amazing the things you don't know that you don't know.

The only reason they are changing it is because of M$....they haven't supported xbox in quite a while. The new version might actually stop some addons from ever working with it to protect XBMC from lawsuits I have read. I will be sticking to 13.2 when stable release is out. That's just me though....I like the good addons. lol