Punish Music Pirates With Finger Amputations, Artist Says

shamu726

One musician thinks she has the ultimate solution to killing off music piracy. By employing a unique type of graduated response - amputating a finger at a time for each offense - music pirates might think again about their actions. Even if they don't, it won't matter, she says, as they won't have fingers to pirate anymore.

carrot.png

If there was a guaranteed and cost-effective way for the creative industries to clamp down on piracy, rest assured they would take it. Unfortunately, there is no silver bullet in today’s arsenal.

Ordering ISPs to block ‘pirate’ sites is one approach, but at least in the first instance the process is both expensive and drawn out, often taking a number of years to come to fruition.

Another method is to hit Internet users who dare to download and share copyrighted material. Some frameworks, such as those in the United States and United Kingdom, envision a situation where people can be persuaded to do the right thing after receiving warning letters. More aggressive schemes, such as those in South Korea and New Zealand, foresee potential disconnections for persistent pirates.

But one musician in Nigeria believes she has a quick and easy solution to stop people illegally pirating her work. Her version of the so-called “graduated response” is controversial, but might just work.

“Cutting their fingers off will stop them, by the time you cut off two people’s fingers others will stop,” popular singer Stella Monye told the News agency of Nigeria.

Amputations, the singer says, are doubly effective. Not only do they act as a deterrent, but already-punished pirates will not be able to re-offend either.

“If their fingers are cut, they won’t [be able to use the hands] in pirating the works,” Monye said. “They will learn and it will be faster in stopping them; without a drastic measure they won’t stop.”

Web blockades have been previously described as a potential abuse of human rights, but Monye’s anti-piracy solution pushes new boundaries.

Source: TorrentFreak

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VileTouch

• jackieo

• Ugo4brain

• shamu726

Top Posters In This Topic

funny that it comes from a nigerian...in a country where the ability to cheat and steal other people's goods is seen as a "virtue" (hence the inmense amount of scams coming from that country compared to anywhere else in the world)

Stella can sleep well tonight assured that I've never heard of her or her 3rd world hit parade until now.

*sigh* ... This is why we can't have nice things ...

funny that it comes from a nigerian...in a country where the ability to cheat and steal other people's goods is seen as a "virtue" (hence the inmense amount of scams coming from that country compared to anywhere else in the world)

come on like seriously, all countries has there own share of bad eggs.

Perhaps a different view might be that amputating somebody's fingers reduces their chance of working and makes them more liable to steal.

edit: ya know, thats really fucking sick when you stop and think about it for a sec.

the culture of power and control and the machete menatlty. its sad. they need a wakeup call.

I am a musician. I write songs. I have recorded my songs. I produced compact disks, and album cover artwork.

I have created videos of my songs... it was a good way to learn how computers work, and so many of the editing kit softs.

Basically, self-produced in house, using a Fostex 4 track, and Ampex 12 track cassette mixing board to record all the songs,

We had local college radio play exposure in 1989, and did several gigs around town.

( so..yeah when computers came along, and in 2003 I was able to learn how to convert cassettes to MP3)

I NEVER tried to sell my music. ...something about creating commercially sounding music...radio style? I dunno ..it was the 80's

I always gave it away. Music is for shared experience of life and the passion for living, and enjoyment.

I have performed my songs publicly years ago, when I had dreams of being a rock star ( the internet makes us all rock stars now :) )

I dont really care about making millions of my songs ( I always felt creepy about it ...just me )

but I understand. Its a business...( the sound of that word bores the crap out of me ) but I understand....(fuck money)

Record companies have literally killed bands. stole their profits and left them with nothing.

Badfinger was one such band. 2 of the band members killed themselves when they learned the record company robbed them blind.

Having said the above, I have this to say to Stella :

I will NEVER listen to your music! Having read all the above -

I will go out of my way to AVOID your music just because of what you said, and not because of fear of retribution!

as an artist, what you crave IS EXPOSURE not money. ( well... money is nice too, yes?)

IF NO ONE KNOWS WHO YOU ARE, WHO WILL BUY YOUR SONGS?

exposure exposure exposure word of mouth...create a following...create desire ...if the music is good, it will do it all on its own!

think ...the "Happy" song....cause im happyyyyyyyyy that song flies on its own power.

and has been heard by literally millions. ( and pirated too but who cares?)

You Tube ..... so many video and audio portals. she needs to be educated about the facts of life on the web.

YOU DONT ATTACK YOUR FANS !! OR YOU WONT FUCKING HAVE ANY!

Edited by jackieo

Perhaps a different view might be that amputating somebody's fingers reduces their chance of working and makes them more liable to steal.

+1 million

Indeed it would harden them.

I agree with her..but only if all drug using/sharing/bad behaving "rock musicians" (e.g. Justin Beiber) are injected with cyanide first. :wub: :wub: :wub:

no. not all countries teach their children to cheat as a valid way to succeed in life. you, that have seen it first hand should be the least apologetic. it is not a minority of the population doing that. it is wide spread as i'm sure you know very well.

but don't get me wrong, i have no hate for the country itself, it's just the ubiquity of that particular "custom" that is both unique and gives anything from there an instant bad rep. blame the "bad eggs"...however many there are.