Just curious: what is so great about Macrium ?

smallhagrid

smallhagrid

There's been plenty of work done by folks to get Macrium Reflect properly medicated and I see that there's even been some success with it lately.

I've been through their site & read about it & about the different versions of it too.

This leaves me baffled because it makes me wonder what is so great about this one backup app that has folks wanting it over so many others ?!?

I have never used Macrium - but I have used Easeus Todo, Drive Snapshot (and others) with very good results.

In particular - Todo workstation version has the snapshot function, which is very helpful & good.

(Macrium lacks this function BTW, so that is a downside to it IMO.)

So - I am NOT asking for advice about all the bazillion other backup programs there are - I'd just like to know if there is something extra-super-great about Macrium's that I've somehow missed ?!?

Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcs18

• steven36

• avmad

• smallhagrid

Back up & Disk Imaging + Recovery >>> Demands Stability and Being Able to Recover The Backupped Data Successfully

Macrium Reflect offers Stability and recoverability In most scenarios that one could face

yes it lacks some features that other softs might have but focuasing on what it's supposed to be created for is the point "Disk imaging & Backup " in the first place not to mention other features such as Cloning Partitions , hard drives Migration etc...

Edited by nanoman

Macrium should be great since even don2 finds it easy enough to use :tooth:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/macrium-reflect.356309/

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/backup-image-newbee-macrium.364388/

Bonus :P

Use this coupon in the next three days to receive 20% discount

Enter the coupon code below at the checkout to obtain your 20% discount.

P89-KXP-A5U

Edited by Ponting

Use this coupon in the next three days to receive 20% discount

Enter the coupon code below at the checkout to obtain your 20% discount.

P89-KXP-A5U

How about updating it - to your Recent Status? :naughty:

How about updating it - to your Recent Status? :naughty:

Don't want to get myself :banned: again :tooth:

Edited by Ponting

smallhagrid

Fascinating.

I guess nobody here can answer my question from their own experiences with it....?

Since I've got no problems with data integrity and have good backups this is no worry to me.

Someday maybe I'll find out what all the fuss is about.

From what I've seen, Macrium frequently has version updates.

Keeps its name popular that way ? Or constantly fixing bugs ?

I've tried Macrium yet use EaseUs instead for some reason. Yet when I do run a system image restore, I always choose the one made by Microsoft. The others are just backups to the Microsoft because anybody can explore EaseUs quite simply without hand holding and get a single file from within its image with ease.

Having used Macrium, Acronis, AX64 and Acronis I would have to say Macrium Reflect is an excellent product. I only stopped using it recently when it sometimes didn't load my USB 3.0 drivers(back to Drive Snapshot now). I'm guessing many of the updates are addressing issues with Windows 8. I was using the Standard version but the free version is that good that most people will find it more than enough. Not many services etc running in the background unlike Acronis.

Most folks commit the cardinal sin of installing such software even when the same is available as a BootCD. Not to forget that backing up to, and/or restoring from a live environment is not as efficient or fail-safe as performing the same in Boot mode.

I suppose it is so liked because people who use it don't run into problems. It just works every time and so gets recommended a lot.

Compared to Acronis which has let down many people, me included. Just look around for the reputation of both to see why it is popular.

I imagine that poll is very much influenced by what you can get for "free" here on this site. The same poll on Wilders Security where members appear to pay for everything will probably have a very different result. I'm using Drive Snapshot but I probably wouldn't pay for it.

I think most polls on warez sites people vote for it because they dont have pay to for it.. you take an anti virus for example the most used in 2013 was Microsoft 2nd was AVAST these are things you can get for free 2012 it was AVAST then Microsoft ..Still waiting on this years opswat report :)

Edited by steven36

Therefore polls on a warez site reflect a more balanced view which does not take the biased cost factor, into consideration.

Yes you get to try it an extended x amount of time for free but the masses dont or wont but even people who make cracks tells you if you have the money you should buy the software to support future development. If your poor that's a different story. I use to post warez at the site I came from they had there own crack team and they always said to buy it if you like it and they allso supported open source software as well.

wait- we dont use shit because its free?

we use it because IT WORKS.

theres tons of free apps that aint worth a hill of beans.

Having said, that Acronis DOES go to pre-boot mode to install restore image,

and you can turn off those services that Acronis runs in the background. :)

Have Fun

wait- we dont use shit because its free?

we use it because IT WORKS.

theres tons of free apps that aint worth a hill of beans.

Having said, that Acronis DOES go to pre-boot mode to install restore image,

and you can turn off those services that Acronis runs in the background. :)

Have Fun

If you had to buy it would you still use it ? Did you buy Acronis ? How long you been using it for free . This is the point Im getting at if people didn't crack software most people would use something for free.

Really I use none my last windows install last me for years because I test in a portable VM I dont install stuff I dont use much .. I use portables and just install what I need . This install I made when I 1st got my computer even :)

It's only recently us 64bit users could run Macrium, not sure if x86 has been around for longer. Explains while it's low in the poll.

When I said reputation it has nothing to do with polls. It has more to do with unhappy users telling their tales of woe on the internet. Every product suffers from complaints, but when you see them without even searching you know somethings pretty messed up. -_-

I use paid (by me) and extended trial ;) for backup software.

It's only recently us 64bit users could run Macrium, not sure if x86 has been around for longer. Explains while it's low in the poll.

When I said reputation it has nothing to do with polls. It has more to do with unhappy users telling their tales of woe on the internet. Every product suffers from complaints, but when you see them without even searching you know somethings pretty messed up. -_-

I use paid (by me) and extended trial ;) for backup software.

Really I would not mind to have some back up software But just never needed it in a long time..My friend bought Image for Windows the whole thing It comes with Image for DOS .. Shes used every x64 O/S there is since vista and it always worked for her no problems . I guess its all in what you like.

Your feeble attempt at explaining away the blooper reeks of self-delusion & self-denial.5yavqy6.gif

BTW, the part of your tale about the 64-bit late-coming, was a sordid & incriminating confession - has been the ethos of Macrium (late - at practically everything.) :lol:

:lol: I even agree with dcs18 on that there's a difference between free and good and just free and a lot pay-for stuff is not worth using. If it dont work on x64 right I dont want no part of it let alone pay for it.

Windows 8.1 x64 with update here.

Edited by steven36