Popcorn Time Adds Apple TV Support, iOS App Coming Soon

shamu726

When the Popcorn Time app brought BitTorrent streaming to the masses this year the "Netflix for pirates" gained the hearts of millions. Today, one of the most popular Popcorn Time forks continues to innovate by adding Airplay support, and a native iOS app is coming soon.

popcorn.png

The Popcorn Time phenomenon is one of the biggest piracy stories of the year thus far.

The software became an instant hit by offering BitTorrent-powered streaming in an easy-to-use Netflix-style interface.

While the original app was shut down by the developers after a few weeks, the project was quickly picked up by others. This resulted in several popular forks that have gained millions of users in recent months.

Today one of the most popular Popcorn Time forks releases a highly anticipated feature. The developers inform TorrentFreak that the latest version now has Airplay support, making it possible to stream movies directly to Apple TVs and other supported devices.

Ironically, Airplay support is currently limited to the Windows release, but a Mac version is due early next week and the Linux release will follow shortly after.

The latest feature follows the addition of Chromecast support a few weeks ago, but this is by no means the last planned development.

Popcorn Time adds Airplay support

popcorn_time_appletv_airplay.jpg

Looking ahead the developers hope to bring the Popcorn Time experience to as many operating systems and devices as possible.

“Our ultimate goal is to bring Popcorn Time to every platform, operating system and device that can play videos, so Airplay is one particle of a huge revolution we’re making to the torrents and movies world online,” the time4popcorn.eu team told us.

“This is only the beginning… You know us, we have many more surprises coming your way,” they add.

One of the “surprises” is a native iOS app. Although it probably won’t be featured in Apple’s App Store anytime soon, Popcorn Time will be available on jailbroken iPhones and iPads in the near future.

“Support for iOS devices will be ready in August. It’s already working in our development environment and it’s looking beautiful,” the team notes.

Popcorn Time’s popularity hasn’t gone unnoticed by Hollywood. A few weeks ago the MPAA pushed back and managed to get two popular forks removed from Github claiming that the apps are hurting the major movie studios.

While this was a setback, it doesn’t seem to have hindered development much. Both Popcorn Time forks are still around and new features are being rolled out faster than ever.

Source: TorrentFreak

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Win7nerd

• shamu726

• jackieo

• Reefa

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried this and was not impressed with it.... alot of cams on it ( early releases of movies on the scene )

If i want a movie i usually just bit torrent it, and if its a cam I like to see the comments of others who downloaded it and how the quality is

some people just want entertainment and not so driven to use bit torrent. I understand this as well. whatever makes you happy :)

I tried this and was not impressed with it.... alot of cams on it ( early releases of movies on the scene )

If i want a movie i usually just bit torrent it, and if its a cam I like to see the comments of others who downloaded it and how the quality is

some people just want entertainment and not so driven to use bit torrent. I understand this as well. whatever makes you happy :)

Well maybe you should try it again obviously something went wrong being as they are pretty much all top quality torrents..

Edited by F3dupsk1Nup

the most recent version for windows hase KNOWN bug in it, with the audio cutting in and out, i downgraded to an earlier version and all is good. but therwise a good service :P