removed

knowledge-Spammer

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
knowledge-Spammer

hitman failed looks like hitman needs more work on it

His lack of proper pronunciation irritates me. "Fink" = Think, "Free" = Three... and so on.

-Arsehole.

Real nasty ransomeware these things.

I suppose hitman helps a little if you run one of these things but most people would be screwed. Only real way out is to make backups regularly and restore at the first sign of it.

I wouldn't attempt to carry on with Windows if the above happened to me. I'd never be sure if it got everything.

Restore a clean backup and sorted. B) Doesn't matter what your security setup is, it's pretty useless without backups.

It's the first rule of security. backup, backup, backup

markloman said:

Thanks for pointing us to the video. We’ve seen the video as well and we’re also aware of this new malware. Even though the title of the video suggests otherwise, it's not CryptoLocker in the video. The reason why some of the files are encrypted despite Alert is because the cybercriminals behind it have devised a new approach. Alert is capable of blocking CryptoLocker, CryptDefense and CryptoWall but not this new crypto-malware. We are currently working on HitmanPro.Alert 3 and will update CryptoGuard as well to accommodate for the different methodology of this malware.

CrytpoGuard creates a copy of each document when it's opened. When the file is written back to the disk CryptoGuard examines the contents of the written file and compares it to the original copy. When the contents are completely different it keeps track of the application that changed the contents. When this application is altering the complete contents of more documents, CryptoGuard steps in, halts the perpetrating application and restores the attacked files using the original backup copies.

This particular malware in the video is performing a different read/write approach. It is changing parts of the contents in multiple passes until its completely altered. We're adding support for this method in a coming update.

Source:http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hitmanpro-alert-support-and-discussion-thread.324841 Posts#1999 and #2008

In the realm of security, it either works perfectly or not at all - Hitman Pro has no excuse, being that it is such an old player in this business. RL8WwPy.gif

• 5 months later...

better use HitmanPro.Alert download new database then scanning

better use HitmanPro.Alert download new database then scanning

:yes: :cheers:

Archived