Laptop does not get full WIFI speed

Diego T.

Hey guys, more bizzarre issues with my Win8.1 laptop x64

I have a 20mb internet connection but my laptop is only getting 2mb of download speeds.

I tested the wifi with my iphone and I am getting the full speed from my ISP with the Speedtest.net App

I connected the laptop direct to the ethernet and I have the same issue.

So I got the latests drivers for my LAN and WIFI devices, I was able to update them and I for full speed on my WIFI and LAN connection.

However, after a reboot the speed drops again to 2mb on both WIFI and LAN

I have manage to have a workaround where I delete the device from the Device Manager and Windows installs it again and the speed resets again to full 20mb.

Is there anything that is causing this to happen?

Here is my devices:

Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8176&SUBSYS_818110EC&REV_01
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8176&SUBSYS_818110EC
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8176&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8176&CC_0280
Driver Version: 2012.14.417.2014
Driver Date: 4/30/2014
Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_2062&SUBSYS_FDD21179&REV_C1
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_2062&SUBSYS_FDD21179
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_2062&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_2062&CC_0200
Driver Version: 2.1.0.21
Driver Date: 7/16/2013

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Diego T.

• Kalju

• Sonar

• mazigh

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the actual contracted speed with your ISP?

20 MBps or 20 Mbps? If it is a dedicated connection, with 20 megabytes, yes, there is something wrong. If it is a normal connection with 20 megabits, this is as fast as it gets...

It really is a problem all the time, people do not write clearly - is it 20 mb (millibit) or 20 MB (megabytes) and when we talk about speed, it can not be measured in kilograms. Should still use the correct units. So if it must be speed, then mbps (millibit per second) or MBps (megabyte per second), but not kilograms.

1 Mbps = 125 KBps ( b is bit, B is Byte )

20 Mbps = 2500 KBps = 2.5 MBps

ISPs use Mbps while your browser or Internet download manager use KBps and MBps so maybe that's why you are confused :)

Edited by mazigh

See how it is, I didn't knew also this.

Edited by Kalju

ISPs use Mbps while your browser or Internet download manager use KBps and MBps so maybe that's why you are confused :)

My contractual speed is 20 as stated above, where my downloads are supposed to be at 2.5

But since my laptop is not getting the full speed the top speed is 2 and my downloads speed are at 200kb/s

My contractual speed is 20 as stated above, where my downloads are supposed to be at 2.5

But since my laptop is not getting the full speed the top speed is 2 and my downloads speed are at 200kb/s

restart or reset router? -> has some played around inside the router settings?

I have a 35mbps (megabits per second) internet connection also. I am getting the speed below from my ISP with the Speedtest.net and other.

NUvNBbJ.png
FCe6943.png

I get a download speed of 3,5 MBps (megabytes per second) usually.

post-39782-14063323202432_thumb.jpg

This is the speed that I get on my iPhone, goes between 15-20 during the day.

But my laptop only reaches 2 on WIFI and on LAN

Got it now! From where did you downloaded these latest drivers? from Manufacture Official website? or other websites?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1406332317.618152.jpg

This is the speed that I get on my iPhone, goes between 15-20 during the day.

But my laptop only reaches 2 on WIFI and on LAN

You probably do not know very well what you're talking about. It seems that you have all the things a mess.

Even it is not possible to understand what those numbers represent. If you're talking about some kind of speed, then it must also have unit.

Nobody can understand if you write some weird numbers only.

And what WiFi speed you're talking about? Maybe instead it of the maximum connection speed, and even then - is it the upload speed or download speed? Moreover, they depends of the server, of yours server and of another servers where the data must to get or save.

And bit more - how can you compare your computer and your iPhone?

If you want to get any help, then you also need to know what you really (exactly) need.

Router is OK.

What is QOS?

Quality of service

Quality of service (QoS) is the overall performance of a telephony or computer network.

Router is OK.

What is QOS?

i maybe wrong about qos but its down those lines where you can set up permissions for each computer.

like set your iphone to get 100% connection speed & your laptop only 50%.

now if uve tried your laptop on another connection and facing the same problem then its your laptop.

do you have anthing else u can try on your router? you mention only iphone and laptop? maybe a third software to test to see if that is capped or gets full speed.

The issue that I face is that when I delete the wireless device from the "Device Manager" and windows installs it again automatically and connect to my wifi afterwards I get full download speeds.

Does that has to do with QoS?

you're properly done

ISPs use Mbps while your browser or Internet download manager use KBps and MBps
your ISP deal speed divide by 8 (20000 MBps equal to 20000 / 8 = 2.5MBps (ps is per second)

there are bit and byte

Update you Lappy drivers from your Toshiba site and after that you good to go..

Edited by iih1

I did, and I'm having this problem with the windows default drivers and the latest Toshiba drivers, even with ones from the Realtek site.

To quantitatively measure quality of service, several related aspects of the network service are often considered, such as error rates, bandwidth, throughput, transmission delay, availability, jitter, etc.

Quality of service is particularly important for the transport of traffic with special requirements. In particular, much technology has been developed to allow computer networks to become as useful as telephone networks for audio conversations, as well as supporting new applications with even stricter service demands.

Try a live os (linux) in a cd/usb (ubcd->parted magic) and do several speedtests. If there's no problem then it's your windows installation, not only a driver issue (both drivers can't have the same problem).

If there's a problem then you should reset your modem/router (don't forget to save your connection's parameters as login, encapsulation, vc, etc)

And if the problem persists... kill your lap... xD

Luck!

jimbojet2011

Do you have a firewall or whatever security suite that can limit the speed! ?

Malware?