Nadella confirms, next Windows will be one unified operating system

Matsuda

satya-nadella-microsoft-ceo-24.png

Satya Nadella just confirmed that the company was going to merge all of its major versions of Windows into one huge Windows platform.

Microsoft had been inching up to this for a while. At its developers conference in April, the company announced developer tools for "Universal Windows Apps" also known as the "Holy Grail" of app development.

These tools let developers write their app once to make the app compatible with all the major versions of Windows, Windows Phone, Xbox. But that's not the same as consolidating the operating system itself, which is what Nadella just promised to do.

"This means one operating system that covers all screen sizes," Nadella said to analysts on the quarterly conference call. "We will streamline the next version of Windows from three operating systems into one single converged operating system for screens of all sizes."

He explained, "In the past we had multiple teams working on different versions of Windows. Now we have one team with a common architecture. This allows us to scale, create Universal Windows Apps." This is a major departure from Apple's style and from Microsoft's previous approach.

Apple chose to cleave its tech products into two app eco-systems: iOS (mobile products, iPhone and iPad) and Mac OS (PC products, MacBook laptops, iMac desktop). Under previous CEO Steve Ballmer, Microsoft took a similar approach of multiple operating systems that couldn't always run each other's apps.

To be clear, Microsoft will still sell different editions of its operating systems, for instance, a Windows Pro edition, a Windows Enterprise edition, a cheap one tightly bound with Bing for low-price devices (which we'll see by the holiday season, Nadella says). But under the hood, they will be more alike than different.

And the company will "unify our stores, our commerce and developer platforms," Nadella promised.

This is hugely important to developers. A good billion people use Windows every day. But as long as Windows was chopped up into a bunch of different operating systems that didn't work together, all of those PC customers didn't add up to phone, tablet, or living room console app customers.

Sounds like we'll see the new consolidated Windows with Windows 9, which is rumored to be the next version of that could be available in 2015.

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/nadella-merges-windows-phone-windows-2014-7

• Replies 23
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcs18

• dMog

• steven36

• LeeSmithG

To be clear, Microsoft will still sell different editions of its operating systems, for instance, a Windows Pro edition, a Windows Enterprise edition, a cheap one tightly bound with Bing for low-price devices (which we'll see by the holiday season, Nadella says). But under the hood, they will be more alike than different.

This is exactly where you are failing - a unified scheme is convenient for you (not for end Users, like us.) RL8WwPy.gif

We want additional flavors of dedicated Windows clearly and distinctly demarcated into Desktop and TouchScreen - names like Pro., Enterprise, Home are just a deception.

Unfortunately, I fear good old-fashioned Peeps like me who believe firmly in standalones are declining at an alarmingly fast pace. h4CvlGL.gif

Sonds like that old Johnny Cash song "One Piece At A Time" but instead of being a 53 , 73 car its going to be a windows XP , windows 7, windows 8 :lol:

You may as well say Microsoft has ran out of new ideas and just rehashing old ones. Time to strat to using Linux more the free open source O/S B)

What's funny that even Apple (whom M$ is aping) still has clearly 2 distinct demarcated OS's for touch and desktop.

So win 9 is going to be another win 8.x version.

I would party if Windows 9 is going to be another Windows 8 - for example, just try to think what would happen if they decided to hard-code the retarded Microsoft Start Menu into the kernel . . . . . . . . . . leaving no windows of hope for exemplary Start Menus such as StartIsBack, Start8, etc., etc.

Think also what would happen if they decided to prove the rumors right by integrating the Modern UI so tightly into the desktop that your mouse has to encounter an equal splattering of Metro at every click for the rest of your life.

Give me Windows 8+ any day - it brings choices into our lives (pray that Windows 9 is just like Windows 8.)

insanedown58

That is just depressing. Why can't Microsoft get the hint? Keep our desktop away from our laptops. That's it. Apple is doing it right with iOS and Mac OS, how I wish OS X could easily be put on on any machine of your choosing.

Seems once windows 9 comes out there going to introduce a radical new software activation system anyways . I wonder will it be cracked even? If not most are going have to buy it so this will cut down a lot of hype on message boards about windows anyway . I dont care about windows made like 3 different O/S really I can go on my VM and play with any O/S I want . I guess ill just stay with Windows 8.1 because i just bought a computer with it. Unless 9 can be cracked no way im paying again unless i get a good discount .

Keep our desktop away from our laptops. That's it.

They are greedy and they do not care for you - and me.

Apple is doing it right with iOS and Mac OS, how I wish OS X could easily be put on on any machine of your choosing.

No, they are not doing it right - check out the contradiction (highlighted) in your own words. gNTdv9Q.gif

None of the OS Developers have got it right - neither Microsoft, nor Apple and by no stretch of imagination, Linux. XjpzZ69.gif

I would party if Windows 9 is going to be another Windows 8 - for example, just try to think what would happen if they decided to hard-code the retarded Microsoft Start Menu into the kernel . . . . . . . . . . leaving no windows of hope for exemplary Start Menus such as StartIsBack, Start8, etc., etc.

Think also what would happen if they decided to prove the rumors right by integrating the Modern UI so tightly into the desktop that your mouse has to encounter an equal splattering of Metro at every click for the rest of your life.

Give me Windows 8+ any day - it brings choices into our lives (pray that Windows 9 is just like Windows 8.)

There's been leaked pictures of how the start menu is going to look in windows 9 Its going to look like you can pretty much do your windows 8 to do the same but no doubt it change some

Here are the pictures and more info if you care to look

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2456028/leaked-windows-9-screenshots-reveal-more-detail-about-reborn-start-menu.html

So its going to happen it seems .

There's been leaked pictures of how the start menu is going to look in windows 9 Its going to look like you can pretty much do your windows 8 to do the same but no doubt it change some

Here are the pictures and more info if you care to look

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2456028/leaked-windows-9-screenshots-reveal-more-detail-about-reborn-start-menu.html

So its going to happen it seems .

I am concerned steven, have also mentally geared myself to ditch Windows if Microsoft succeeds in making Windows 9 absolutely impregnable. h4CvlGL.gif

@Mary Jo Foley

Wow! One Windows OS running on phone, tablet, PC and gaming console?

Not exactly. Later in the call, Nadella attempted to clarify his remarks, but not in time to stop the breathless headlines

Here's what "one Windows" really means:

1. A single team developing all Windows variants.

2. A single "core." - Windows Phone, Windows 8, Windows RT and Windows Server are all built on top of a common "core," known as the NT core. Because of Microsoft's layered architectural approach, each OS builds on top of this core using different pieces that make sense for the form factor/hardware on which it runs.

3. A unified Store and commerce model across all platforms - Microsoft has taken steps toward unifying its Windows Phone Store and Windows Store over the past year. But it still has a ways to go to reach the holy grail: A single store that spans all platforms.

4. A unified developer platform - Microsoft execs have been promising for years that one day, developers will be able towrite once and run on any Windows variant. To get there, Microsoft is working to unify, as much as possible, the core set of application programming interfaces (APIs) and the developer tooling for building apps for Windows Phone, Windows and the Xbox operating system. Microsoft has many of the pieces in place now that allow Windows and Windows Phone developers to reuse more of their code when writing what are called "Universal Windows apps."

Here's what "one Windows" doesn't mean: There will not be one Windows SKU. Or even two. There will continue to be multiple versions of Windows. Nadella stated this quite plainly on the earnings call.

"Our SKU strategy will remain by segment," he said. "We will have multiple SKUs for enterprises, we will have for OEM, we will have for end-users.... We will be disclosing and talking about our SKUs as we get further along."

http://www.zdnet.com/what-one-windows-really-means-and-doesnt-7000031917/#ftag=RSS14dc6a9

Glad that those were just the usual dose of rumors.

Edited by dcs18

Will some tell this Nadella to do the job first, the results will tell "everything". Don't make higher claims today.

what the hell is wrong with win8 other than the start screen issues that incidentally can be rectified by FREE programs or spending 3 bucks for start is back...non touch screen notebook here and i have absolutely NO issues at all with this OS...looks to me you guys just like to whine a lot.... if you do not like it stop using it and use linux or try and pirate the apple OS ...windows 8 just works...is it xp ...no it is actually better....one cannot put windows 8 on computer that was brand new when windowsXP or older came out and expect the miracle of no issues

edit...spelling

Edited by dMog

Looking at it in a developers perspective, I think its gonna be a brillaint idea, you dont have to build for all platform but the question is the ability to make apps that work on PCs, laptops, tablets, Windows Phones, and Xbox consoles right out of the gate should see the change welcomed by developers. A Big challenge for all. Maybe on a net framework might do the trick. I know a few apps that does that. I believe MS have been testing since. Even MS's Main rival — Apple keeps Mac OS and iOS separately.

Blackchildcx

I had so much hope for Windows 9........How huge will this OS be if they merge 3 OS in one?

This idea is ultra trash!

I had so much hope for Windows 9........How huge will this OS be if they merge 3 OS in one?

This idea is ultra trash!

you really need to re-read the article...it is NOT a one size fits all....it will have a common base and each OS will be from that point customised....or you can just read what Adriano posted or you can continue to be totally blinded by your crazy hate for MS and just post half baked rants

forget it linux users..if linux was as good as you claimed it would have taken over the market by now... it is just not anywhere what it needs to be for the average computer user to be anything but what it is...a novelty for extreme users who happen yo know what is required to make it work properly...if it ever gets to point where anything you want it to do is basical plug and play then it will take over a large part of the market...but reality is far from that ever taking place

Myself I was very happy when XP arrived.

Then Windows 7.

M$ should build on Windows XP & 7 for home and business users.

Make it subscription, maybe £20 per year.

M$ should update, tweak, improve and add to just one common base.

M$ should then release the same, Windows 8 which is really for touch screen screens and tablets.

M$ should then release the same, Windows 8 which is really for touch screen screens and tablets.

. . . . . . . . . if the User is incapable of disabling the Modern UI to exploit the remarkable and unprecedented features of the Desktop component in Windows 8+.

. . . . . . . . . if the User is incapable of disabling the Modern UI to exploit the remarkable and unprecedented features of the Desktop component in Windows 8+.

Windows 8 is a chore.

My Son got it on a system I purchased for him, zzzzzzzzzzzz is all I have left to say about Windows 8!

Windows 8 is a chore.

My Son got it on a system I purchased for him, zzzzzzzzzzzz is all I have left to say about Windows 8!

Well, yeah - exactly the point (glad you got it.) :sleep:

It is a one-time chore and then - thereafter, a blissful zzzzzzzzzzzz, for those who know their chores.

Well, for those who do not know their chores - it is a perpetual complaining & whining on every forum.