Windows 8 and 8.1 storing info on M$ server for sync

Cerberus

Let me give you some background on how I know for a fact even though you turn off all kinds of settings M$ still finds and stores on their server for syncing. I had a Dell that I installed win 8.1 on. It took a crap and died so I just bought a HP envy x360 2 in 1 lappy/tablet. When I finished setting it up and finally got to the start screen, I opened IE 11 and low and behold...it showed my surfing history in browser dropdown menu. It even changed the HP desktop background to Dell like my old lappy. I just purchased this from best buy brand new. I had smartscreen filter disabled in win 8.1 and in IE 11 and M$ still was able to watch and store my surfing. We really need to find out how to stop this syncing crap for that is what is causing the issue I think. Not sure but I don't like being spied on from M$...but even worse is that they store the data for "syncing purposes". Wonder what else they gather...

Edited by Cerberus

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcs18

• Cerberus

• gh0st_

• sternog

ok I know this sound dumb...where do I find those settings? lol I feel like a noob again. :)

Update: Never mind I found them...thanks ghost. :) OK so in order to test my theory, I will have to purchase another lappy. lol I think not. hehehe I hope this shuts that syncing off...you never know with M$. lol Does anyone know if this can be turned off by using a reg file for example? Just curious.

Edited by Cerberus

Not here, none of that happens on my Windows 8.1 Update - I would be the first to switch loyalties to Windows 7 if it happened. XjpzZ69.gif

Let me give you some background on how I know for a fact even though you turn off all kinds of settings M$ still finds and stores on their server for syncing.

Can you share with us the "all kinds of settings," you turned off (always eager to learn new tricks.) bF79Bcn.gif

Airstream_Bill

Well I have done a complete system Restore to out of the Box Recovery and it did not have any of that Info UNTIL I logged on to the Computer with my Hotmail and then synced everything.

Windows 8 OS Family Sync settings are deep integrated inside the OneDrive.

To Delete the sync settings follow below given steps:

1. Remove all PCs from Trusted devices from your account settings at https://account.live.com/Proofs/Manage and re-authorize it on all your current devices.
2. Delete the old PC's backed up settings from https://onedrive.live.com/Options/DeviceBackups
3. If it was a Bit Locker encrypted PC you can remove it's backed up key from https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey,
4. Temporarily turn off syncing PC Settings on all your current PCs in PC Settings, then go to https://onedrive.live.com/win8personalsettingsprivacy to clear OneDrive-stored settings that may have been stored from the old PC (as you cleared trusted devices in step 1. Settings from that PC aren't synced to the account anymore, so in regards to that PC you can ignore to turn off syncing on it). Then you may re-enable settings synchronization on your current PCs.
5. Open Windows Store. In the Settings charm go to Your account. Remove the old PC Account from the PCs list.

2Old2Remember

ok I know this sound dumb...where do I find those settings? lol I feel like a noob again. :)

Update: Never mind I found them...thanks ghost. :) OK so in order to test my theory, I will have to purchase another lappy. lol I think not. hehehe I hope this shuts that syncing off...you never know with M$. lol Does anyone know if this can be turned off by using a reg file for example? Just curious.

dont have to buy a new laptop to test your theory, just reinstall windows 8.1 on a vm or new partition and use your email as your account to see. To avoid all that just login locally, (without putting your email.) use a fake email and pass at prompt when it errors out, select sign in locally, or create a local account or whatever it says about "local". :)

I have both a online acct and a local acct just in case I don't have the internet so I can still use my lappy. I did the above that army-spy said to do and that worked great. I did not know about the syncing part of win 8.x but still would like to know the reg entries so in the future I can add to firstlogin.cmd to turn that off. I will research it when I have time but I wanted to say the no no word....thank you. ;)

If you do not need it, also disable OneDrive:

Run : gpedit.msc

Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\OneDrive

double click : Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage , select Enabled and then click OK.

Let me give you some background on how I know for a fact even though you turn off all kinds of settings M$ still finds and stores on their server for syncing.

Can you share with us the "all kinds of settings," you turned off (always eager to learn new tricks.) bF79Bcn.gif

Since this question about the "all kinds of settings," went unanswered for a long time, I thought of sharing the stuff which I personally like to disable (post # 52) - please note, they are not limited to sync with the Microsoft server.