Google admits Chrome is killing laptop batteries and promises a fix

geeteam

A recent report shed light on a major bug in Google’s Chrome web browser that causes the batteries in Windows laptops to drain much faster than normal. In fact, the issue could cause laptop batteries to die 25% quicker. The bug causes laptops’ processors to wake up and look for tasks 1,000 times each second instead of 64 times per second, as they should, and users have been advised to avoid using Chrome on Windows machines if they value battery life.

google-chrome-sign.jpg?w=625

But help is on the way: A new report states that Google has acknowledged the issue and is currently working to fix it.

A report on Thursday from PCWorld stated that Google is not only aware of the issue, it has a team working to fix it and has made it a top priority.

“In a statement to PCWorld, the company noted that the bug has been assigned internally, and that the Chrome team is working to fix it—though only after Morris shined a spotlight on the issue,” PCWorld’s Jared Newman reported. “The long-standing bug report has been bumped up to priority one.”

Unfortunately, no timeline was given for a fix.

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcs18

• oZ.

• MidnightDistortions

• geeteam

what? only in windows? the chrome that comes with Android L just kills my phone battery too, when will they address that? :angry:

well i only have firefox open, with a few tabs and my battery life on laptop (new laptop) seems to die pretty quick.... so i guess it isnt just chrome.

OH SWEET! YET ANOTHER RESAON TO HATE CHROME

I keep telling you guys GOOGLE IS EVIL. WAKE THE FUCK UP.

DID YOU MISSED THIS?

well i only have firefox open, with a few tabs and my battery life on laptop (new laptop) seems to die pretty quick.... so i guess it isnt just chrome.

MidnightDistortions

It isn't Chrome, it's MS's overbloated OS's.

ya... i wish someone would make a Windows 7 performance edition like they did back then with XP

ya... i wish someone would make a Windows 7 performance edition like they did back then with XP

There's no official "Windows XP Performance Edition".

Blackchildcx

I dont use chrome code since 2 years now, cause I realy dont like what google do!

Have been blacklisting Google Chrome through my security system - since a very long time. oTPNZ1s.gif

Have been blacklisting Google Chrome through my security system - since a very long time. oTPNZ1s.gif

That is not a good idea.

That is not a good idea.

Can you gimme a better idea, then - to abolish Google Chrome more permanently. yXZVmpE.gif

Edited by dcs18

DID YOU MISSED THIS?

the above comment is irrevlevant because google ADMITS THE FLAW.

Ya...but people made it happen and debloated XP.

DID YOU MISSED THIS?

the above comment is irrevlevant because google ADMITS THE FLAW.

AND? Admitting the fault is the first step to correctly fix the issue, FIrefox has a major issue on not being able to correctly use multi-core CPUs since what? around 4 to 5 years and no fix at all.

Ya...but people made it happen and debloated XP.

Neither Windows 7 or 8.1 is bloated at all, if u want a system that is more battery efficient or that gives u more performance, you just need to adjust it to your needs and disable everything else, that was what many people did in Windows XP, Windows is designed for low end and also for people with very little to no knowledge on IT.

It's like when you go to buy a cellphone an see an Iphone and an Android Phone, which one do you buy? A bloated Iphone or an Android that could be bloated by the company who is selling it, but usually isn't.

Iphones and Windows Phones are designed to people with no real knowledge at IT, as Windows system are.

Just go inside Programs and features and disable everything u don't need, it won't remove the files from the computer, yeah, but they will no longer be available and also won't run services or updates in background.

Regarding battery issue stated above, the battery WILL NEVER DIE cause the processor is receiving 1000 wake calls per sec, the battery will drain a lot faster, that is correct, but won't die, batteries usually just die by either by draining it below the minimal voltage, in case you overcharge it, in case you drain it wayyy too fast by requiring a higher current coming from it(which wouldn't happen due to hardware limitations) and also in case you don't discharge and recharge it from time to time, the biggest reason for batteries dying is usually 'cause people stay more time connected to their charges than using it disconnected, this way there is rarely any discharge, killing the battery.

People need to research a bit more before talking bullshit, whoever put this on PCWorld probably just assumed a dying as in destroying the battery, this can't happen on batteries just by using more process calls, technically unless the notebook had a system to power cycle by discharging and recharging(which usually you will only find in nobreaks) the batteries from time to time, it can't be possible to cause anything to destroy the battery.

Edited by TheRuan

MidnightDistortions

By the time you make Windows more energy efficent you could have just installed Linux instead http://firstimpressions.websitedesigningamarillo.com/firstimpressionswhatislinuxcomparedtowindowspart4.html

Even if you managed to turn everything off in Windows that is draining your battery you still have to decide whether to sacrifice cpu power/speed or battery life. Even with turning most services, background programs and features in WIndows such as Aero and reducing the cpu to 50% i still get more battery life out of Linux Mint. Roughly 40 minutes with WIndows and an hour or more with Mint and i tested this doing the same tasks. Windows in general might seem efficient, especially when you turn off features and background tasks but if you want battery efficiency Linux wins and you don't have to disable or tweak much of anything, just install and use.

It is true that laptops can kill batteries by leaving the charger on after it charges, over time permanent damage is done but i don't see laptop companies fixing this problem, either you have to remove the battery pack or buy 2 and keep the used one plugged in, though that is still a waste if you don't plan on using the batteries just take them out. Discharging the batteries only will use up cycles unless you only discharge them to 40% then recharge them. If you do plan on removing the batteries i suggest finding a way to ensure the laptop cord will not be moving around as laptop cords are another problem, they tend to break if there is too much movement, the laptop and cord should stay stationary when plugged in.

That is not a good idea.

Can you gimme a better idea, then - to abolish Google Chrome more permanently. yXZVmpE.gif

Don't hate Chrome.

That is not a good idea.
Don't hate Chrome.

bF79Bcn.gifal6wao4.gif

Airstream_Bill

No Google on My Computer, Never Happen. No Apple Crap either.

I am with the clan of no apple and no google on my pc! full of spam and BS

Firefox makes validation calls at Google servers - check out the full story, at this thread.