Leaked build of Windows 9 shows reborn Start menu, Metro apps running on the Desktop

exitrade

windows-9-threshold-start-menu-crop-640x

Over the last couple of days, screenshots that purport to be from an early build of Windows 9 (Threshold) have leaked online. Most notably, one of these screenshots includes the new, resurrected Start menu that Microsoft first showed off at its Build conference in April. Another screenshot shows Metro apps running in a window on the Desktop. The leaked Start menu appears to be physically identical to the one shown off in April, but with a different set of tiles, indicating that the Metro portion of the Windows 9 Start menu will be customizable in the same way as the current Windows 8 Start screen.

The new hybridized Start menu appears to be part of build 9788, which was compiled on July 4. While no one seems to have leaked the ISOs for build 9788 yet, the general consensus seems to be that the build does indeed exist somewhere at Microsoft — and that it might also feature Windows NT kernel version 6.4 (i.e. the complete version number is 6.4.9788). The screenshots show a Windows 8.1 Pro watermark, but this isn’t unusual for a very early alpha of a new build of Windows. If this really is the next version of the Windows NT kernel, then we’re most likely looking at an early build of Windows 9 (Threshold) rather than Windows 8.2.

windows-9-threshold-build-9788-start-men

The resurrected Start menu itself is fairly unremarkable; it’s identical to the Start menu demoed by Microsoft back in April. The left side of the new Start menu is virtually identical to what you might find in Windows 7, while the right side looks like a mini Start screen. There’s no info on how customizable the new Start menu will be, but presumably you can move and resize the live tiles. While I’m sure there are lots of people who would rather just have a stock Windows 7 Start menu without the Metro stuff on the right-hand side, I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re forced to keep the live tiles (Microsoft is still firmly set on making Metro the unified UX across all of its operating systems).

windows-9-threshold-build-9788-metro-in-

Another screenshot shows the new Metro PC Settings (control panel) running in a window on the Desktop. In my opinion, this is a far more important change than the resurrected Start menu. This change might actually make mouse-and-keyboard users somewhat inclined to interact with Metro, rather than avoiding it like the plague (assuming Microsoft massively increases the use of keyboard shortcuts within Metro apps on Windows 9, anyway).

screeny-640x512.jpg

Windows 9, codenamed Threshold, is due to be released in spring 2015 — probably at the next Build conference. The latest rumors suggest that Windows 9 will probably be split into multiple SKUs (versions), with at least one SKU that will be oriented towards mouse-and-keyboard use. Presumably this version will boot to the Desktop and open Metro apps in a window by default. There will also likely be a continued push towards creating a unified experience between Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox — but until we hear some official information from Microsoft, we don’t want to speculate too much about that.

Source

• Replies 27
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcs18

• digimon

• GRiM

• Reefa

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who were banking with their hopes high on a Microsoft Start Menu are gonna be disappointed with the more-than-generous splattering of Start Screen items. :thumbsdown:

So you mean to tell me that after customizing the f**k outta WIN 8.1 to make it usable... Treshold comes up and ...

Wait.. I can live with this new OS from the looks of it..

MICROSOFT PLEASE FIRE WHOEVER CODED THE WIFI IMPLEMANTATION ON WIN 8+. INTEL WIFI ADAPTERS STILL DO NOT WORK!!!

jimbojet2011

Thanks 4 the information

This Start Menu is not destined to displace 3rd party Start Menu alternatives - StartIsBack and Start8 look set to rule for a really long run. oxHmXdP.gifRlW5CMh.gif

MidnightDistortions

Funny how MS is still using that ugly interface. If W9 can be tweaked to look like Android (especially the app folder feature) i might pirate a copy lol.

This Start Menu is not destined to displace 3rd party Start Menu alternatives - StartIsBack and Start8 look set to rule for a really long run. oxHmXdP.gifRlW5CMh.gif

I real'y do hope so :showoff:

No sweat. My $3.50 dollar StartisBack license won't go to waste. Do whatever version of a Start Menu you want. USER opinions of what we want don't seem to matter. Repeat after me: I do NOT have a touch screen; I do NOT have a touch screen......

Edited by shorty6100

Leaked build of Windows 9...?

All talking about, so that was leaked. Everyone has the pictures, but where is the link where can download it. Where is the place, where it was leaked?

Or is it just someone's utopian dream?

software182

Leaked build of Windows 9...?

All talking about, so that was leaked. Everyone has the pictures, but where is the link where can download it. Where is the place, where it was leaked?

Or is it just someone's utopian dream?

120 Pages, maybe you can read this one by one

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/55109-News-Discussions-On-Windows-Upcoming-Products-W8-1Update-x-W365-WThreshold-Win9

MICROSOFT PLEASE FIRE WHOEVER CODED THE WIFI IMPLEMENTATION ON WIN 8+. INTEL WIFI ADAPTERS STILL DO NOT WORK!!!

Intel Wi-Fi problems on Windows 8.1 can usually be solved by:

f**k, that looks ugly, that PC Settings looks like someone's running a mobile OS emulator on desktop... :wtf:

I just want a complete removal of metro on desktop OS and that is what win9 should concentrate on, but seems M$ is still the same shit.. :angry:

MICROSOFT PLEASE FIRE WHOEVER CODED THE WIFI IMPLEMENTATION ON WIN 8+. INTEL WIFI ADAPTERS STILL DO NOT WORK!!!

Intel Wi-Fi problems on Windows 8.1 can usually be solved by:

well there are some problems that cannot be solved.. :lol:

I have Centrino 2230 on my laptop and that shit doesn't want to run with anything other than the drivers that came preinstalled with windows, i install latest intel drivers, and get 2 request timed out after every 4-5 replies when pinging the gateway... :huh:

It's i think intel's fault to disregard driver implementation for some of their products, intel forums are flooded with 2230's poor driver implementation, but we all know that intel is one of the worst companies in driver department... B)

insanedown58

Well, I can live with it but then again there's Windows 7. I doubt this is the final version for the Start Menu but if it is, then DEEYYMMM that looks bad.

I doubt this is the final version for the Start Menu . . . . . . . .

Damn right - it is not.

The final version is gonna look far more retarded than this one - Microsoft, in their crooked wisdom are hell-bent on brainwashing Users into embracing their Metro scheme-of-things. JhuZmso.gif

knowledge-Spammer

i no they wood use that poo looking Start Menu not good

MSFT suffering loss after buying Nokia. Will take down 20,000 employee. This is so rude.

Metro is good on touch screens - but I use it on both touch and non touch. Once you 'get your head round it' it works just fine. (In my opinion)

Blackchildcx

Seems like the M$ rule ...One OS good then one bad...one good and so on...is

OVER...

Think this will be next flop in a row.!

Its a leaked build they have plenty of time to fix it valve decided to try left four dead two on the new source two to do testing this also can be testing on microsofts part hate microsoft all you want your using windows what you people are doing is like eating food and as your downing the food saying this shit is nasty wtf did you put in it tastes like roadkill with a smile on your face. There is ample time for them to correct any leaked screenshots you see if the final version comes out and it looks like that it looks worse than that then you can BF (white chicks movie quote means bitch fit) lawls and Ill stand corrected with a smile on my face. That looks like someone put the start menu I decided to use for windows eight point one identical whats the point of putting a start menu in if your just going to copy another alternative waste of programming code and work seriously I doubt thats what the final start menu is going to look like..

Edited by Holmes

The pictures might even be for both versions a windows 8 update to get the start menu back, cause M$ is getting way too much complains about it and also the new Win 9 interface as it's almost sure that they will bring the start menu back and they also need to keep the metro apps, so...

They have no reason to not update the Windows 8 interface to that style, besides, they need to make happy Windows 8 users if they want to sell Windows 9...

This isnt a leaked build. It's leaked images from a internal build and they're not really showing anything new/what hasn't been shown before.