"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

dcs18

2 hours ago, Undertaker said:
14 hours ago, dcs18 said:

They have adopted a completely new implementation which causes every connection to loopback — as a test example you can try all those 27 block IPs on Firefox instead of IDM and surf their site.

But could it bypass IPSec in this way?

Oh yes, of course — once anything bypasses the firewall, it bypasses the IPSec, too (the IPSec is below the firewall in the food chain.)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Undertaker said:
3 hours ago, Undertaker said:

I'm assuming hosts ain't working either, you tried that I think, what was the result?

Yeah hosts is not working either, it's only able to block the connection partially. :s

g99OlkV.png

Undertaker

Router, CIDR, Adguard Block works

IPSec, Hosts, IP Block not working :(

So now what? :think:

I think Dave left Martau behind in fixing stuff :P

This is the key — we must find a way to segregate outbound svchost.exe UDP traffic on port # 53:—

MeTZe3Y.png

Undertaker
2 hours ago, dcs18 said:

This is the key — we must find a way to segregate outbound svchost.exe UDP traffic on port # 53

Just tried it out, seems difficult :P

3 hours ago, Undertaker said:

Router, CIDR, Adguard Block works

IPSec, Hosts, IP Block not working :(

So now what? :think:

The Bad News:—

Have not even tried Router blocking because most of my clients use their laptops on different routers — that's a dangerous stunt (even for nSane Users).

CIDR is the fools paradise — IPs of nearly half the globe are needlessly blocked (it's better to use a trial reset — or, even a patched IDM.)

Adguard blocking does not go well with my deployment scheme of things — as discussed in our world record-beating status report.

The Good News:—

Firewalling continues to work.

Undertaker
1 hour ago, dcs18 said:

Have not even tried Router blocking because most of my clients use their laptops on different routers — that's a dangerous stunt (even for nSane Users).

I can see the problem.

1 hour ago, dcs18 said:

CIDR is the fools paradise — IPs of nearly half the globe are needlessly blocked (it's better to use a trial reset — or, even a patched IDM.)

I admit that I'm still learning CIDR and that's why the mess :P But the other guy's topic in same sub-forum has it trimmed down to just a few.

1 hour ago, dcs18 said:

Adguard blocking does not go well with my deployment scheme of things — as discussed in our world record-beating status report.

Activation was handled way back

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/222515-compilation-of-tutorials-guides-tips-updates/?page=136#comment-977615

And it still continues to hold good.

1 hour ago, dcs18 said:

Firewalling continues to work.

Ofc, nothing supersedes it.

Can you try this — navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and backup idmwfp.sys before deleting it.

I could be wrong but just cross-checking to see whether this is a proxy driver that is using svchost.exe to divert IDM IPs — at this point, my IDM is in no condition.

Undertaker
7 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Can you try this — navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and backup idmwfp.sys before deleting it.

I could be wrong but just cross-checking to see whether this is a proxy driver that is using svchost.exe to divert IDM IPs — at this point, my IDM is in no condition.

In that very location, there is no idmwfp.sys file(even after showing hidden files/folder)

6 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Can you try this — navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and backup idmwfp.sys before deleting it.

idmwfp.sys on x86 windows 7 is in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\

Undertaker
11 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Can you try this — navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and backup idmwfp.sys before deleting it.

Ok found it, backed up now what you want me to do?

BTW I suspect it's the driver file which is necessary for IDM functioning, capturing downloads etc. Adguard too uses a WFP driver, that's why I have some hint.

But let's proceed with what you want me to try.

Delete or rename it — it won't bite your ass. :D

4 hours ago, dcs18 said:

This is the key — we must find a way to segregate outbound svchost.exe UDP traffic on port # 53:—

MeTZe3Y.png

This must be making Dave very nervous. B)

Undertaker
2 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Delete or rename it — it won't bite your ass. :D

Done, next?

Reboot and start testing for any sign of loopback — on IDM and also on their site with your browser (firewalled with the 27 IPs.)

Undertaker
Just now, dcs18 said:

Reboot and start testing for any sign of loopback — on IDM and also on their site with your browser (firewalled with the 27 IPs.)

Be back in 5

Undertaker
7 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

After reboot, when you first open up IDM, it gives a UAC prompt because it wants to install the driver file(that we deleted) So the file is back in its original location.

So deleting that file will render IDM to not open.

6 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

Be back in 5

Back early because testing ended prematurely :P

To combat this new issue why don't we do with  idmwfp.sys, what we did with the IDM Helper?

Undertaker
Just now, dcs18 said:

To combat this new issue why don't we do with  idmwfp.sys, what we did with the IDM Helper?

Dummy file?

i just pressed no in the UAC prompt and idm popped up afterward,:mellow: but it seems to do want to install it every time u load up idm again if closed.

7 minutes ago, Undertaker said:
8 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Dummy file?

Yep.

12 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

After reboot, when you first open up IDM, it gives a UAC prompt because it wants to install the driver file(that we deleted) So the file is back in its original location.

6 minutes ago, bubbada said:

i just pressed no in the UAC prompt and idm popped up afterward,:mellow: but it seems to do want to install it every time u load up idm again if closed.

Wow — how do you guys manage to live with the Microsoft UAC? 6HUIPBa.gif

Undertaker
12 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Yep.

Same result, it wants to install that file. If you click no at UAC prompt, it will popup every time you open IDM and if you click yes, it will place the file at its location replacing the dummy file(even when the dummy file was made read-only).

12 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Wow — how do you guys manage to live with the Microsoft UAC? 6HUIPBa.gif

:medic:

13 minutes ago, bubbada said:

You're using Comodo right? It's bypassing there too?

idm must do a hash file check or something in those lines?:blink:

55 minutes ago, Undertaker said:
2 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Activation was handled way back

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/222515-compilation-of-tutorials-guides-tips-updates/?page=136#comment-977615

And it still continues to hold good.

Activation was just the insignificant part — recently, I deployed uBlock and uMatrix (replacing Adblock Plus) and actually experienced myself getting old. :P

Just want to live a full, peaceful life.

Undertaker
1 minute ago, dcs18 said:

Activation was just the insignificant part — recently, I deployed uBlock and uMatrix (replacing Adblock Plus) and actually experienced myself getting old. :P

They are good but not to my taste.

@Ice Frog here uses my rule and some customized rules for ublock to make nsane dark theme(You remember how I wanted it black).

ublock fully supports the style modifier, Adguard only supports it partially. But Adguard has it's own CSS injection thing.

I would have posted the rules but since I don't use uBlock, I don't have them.

6 minutes ago, 0bin said:
29 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

+1 for uMatrix, is nice isn't it? 

uMatrix is indeed awesome — it replaced 3 add-ons, for me (including the venerable NoScript — my very first add-on.)

I keep switching between uBlock and Adblock Plus — but, uMatrix has been a constant denominator.

• Matrix locked this topic

Archived