"Compilation Of Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Updates"

dcs18

The logic is quite simple, I displaced only your Global Rules with mine (rest of every other parameter remained exactly the same.)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Views 1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

The logic is quite simple, I displaced only your Global Rules with mine (rest of every other parameter remained exactly the same.)

My rules were for addon and not program.

1 minute ago, dcs18 said:

Exactly my point.

All I'm saying is show me an example where the program is blocking 'more' requests(other than the HTML-type) than the addon. :rolleyes:

Even if I show you an example, it would never be a perfect comparison between my program behavior vs your add-on behavior — my suggestion is, for the same set of rules why don't you make a comparison on your own system against the log entries (that should be a fair evaluation.)

Just now, dcs18 said:

Even if I show you an example, it would never be a perfect comparison between my program behavior vs your add-on behavior — my suggestion is, for the same set of rules why don't you make a comparison on your own system against the log entries (that should be a fair evaluation.)

I already have made such a comparison, and found that other than the PITA HTML blocking, the program and addon didn't have any difference in blocking. And that's why I asked for an example from you because I definitely don't see the 'more' part.

42 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

<snip> the (lack of) HTML granularity gives me a feeling that it's fixable (probably something that I ought be doing differently.)

I just reset my database to see whether that would fix my add-on issue (it didn't) — however, now my HTML blocking delivers full granularity.

@Undertaker  &  @dcs18

Hello.

I know you hate Chrome and Chromium and don't use it.

( And you're think decidedly i know nothing :D )

But do you know a rule to add in UblockOrigin or Adguard Or uMatrix

For stop Chrome add itself any search engine when visiting any web page with search box.

The name is OpenSearch. 

I want can search when i am in web page but not the search engine add itself in Chromium Chrome.

In Setting ; Manage search engines ; Other search engines 

Exemple go here : https://translate.google.com/?hl=en

End Chrome Chromium add in : Other search engines :

Google Translate             translate.google.com                   http://translate.google.com/?source=osdd#auto|auto|%s

This rule not work anymore : ##link[type="application/opensearchdescription+xml"]

If you can't or won't no Problem.
Thanks anyway.:)

9 minutes ago, snf said:

For stop Chrome add itself any search engine when visiting any web page with search box.

Not enough all the known inconveniences, there is also this?!... WTF

@snf

Hope they help you

56 minutes ago, snf said:

Have been doing a bit of research (after reading your query,) and your issue is a legitimate one — PowerUsers like you, are requesting to be able to disable Chrome from adding custom search engines but Google is adamant about it.

Came across an article which suggests using a Chrome add-on, "Don't add custom search engines" — it's just a workaround,though.

@Undertaker  &  @dcs18

I read above in topic you're talking about rules for Youtube.

Do you know in the next  uMatrix 1.3.3 ; implementation of an option : 

A new button ("puzzle" piece icon) is available in the popup panel: uMatrix will offer you the ability to import community-contributed ruleset recipes which are relevant to the current page (see #30). Hopefully there will be many contributions to populate ruleset recipes ready to be used to unbreak sites.

See here: 

https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/releases

youtube.com 1st-party script allow
youtube.com googlevideo.com image allow
youtube.com googlevideo.com media allow
youtube.com ytimg.com css allow
youtube.com ytimg.com image allow
## youtube.com 1st-party xhr allow

Don't enable the xhr to avoid ads. You can follow this example @snf if you don't need more (it will play any video but it's buggy in fullscreen without the xhr).

1 hour ago, Ecarion said:

## youtube.com 1st-party xhr allow

Works without ##  in uMatrix

Like that:

youtube.com 1st-party xhr allow

5 hours ago, snf said:

Personally, I don't know. If as a user we are using uMatrix, then we should be knowing what we are getting into. The whole purpose is devoid if you use someone else's rules. Plus the fact, the personal opinion that may get into making rules and hence the site maybe broken even after those rules for some whereas for some with those very rules, it might be allowing too much. Then there is the geo-location factor - what may fix it for you, may not necessarily fix it for me. But I don't mind as long as it's an option. Would I use it? - maybe for just a one-off site. Thanx for the update.

5 hours ago, Ecarion said:

Don't enable the xhr to avoid ads. You can follow this example @snf if you don't need more (it will play any video but it's buggy in fullscreen without the xhr).

Just a glance and I can infer without trying that those rules won't work for me.

It may be a geo thing but I need to allow xhr requests from googlevideo.com on youtube.com.

Otherwise the site won't work for me.

Plus, I also allow a particular script from google to have the YT searchbox give me suggestions, my personal choice.

Also, it's not the xhr type requests per-say, that is giving the ads, it's requests from other domains like doubleclick, googleadservices,etc.

It's just another example if you want to watch a video on DDG.

duckduckgo.com googlevideo.com media allow
duckduckgo.com youtube-nocookie.com frame allow
duckduckgo.com youtube-nocookie.com image allow
duckduckgo.com youtube-nocookie.com script allow
duckduckgo.com youtube-nocookie.com xhr allow
duckduckgo.com ytimg.com css allow
duckduckgo.com ytimg.com image allow
duckduckgo.com ytimg.com script allow

I will explain @snf Then in fact it's an very old habits (several languages (such as Python, Bash, etc) use this kind of syntax): to resume, each line which start by one (or as you wish) # is in fact a commentary.

Remove the both ##, it won't be anymore a comment but one new rules (or directive). But that's right to be able to understand that you must have a little knowledge in programming.

And yes it will work but you might dislike the ads. That's why I decide to write this line as one comment (to resume is a little warning).

* * * block
* 1st-party css allow
* 1st-party image allow
## It will block everything else.
## So I don't need to add this rules : "youtube.com 1st-party xhr block"

About the geo, I can't tell @Undertaker.

But about the ads, no these other domains are already block (and as you can probably guess now). Then sorry but no you are wrong because I can see the ads only when I enable this rules. I had discover this several months ago.

In the past, it was from youtubei.com (and no it doesn't exist anymore). So yes Youtube has made several changes over the time. Now these ads are coming from googlevideo.com but only once after I enable the xhr rules (mentionned before). And in the case, I had check today and nothing has change (the ads was visible just between 2 videos. It has started right before the second video).

PS : If you need one example, I can upload the ads (ou shoud I called it video_ads ? To be more clear).

9 hours ago, snf said:

@Undertaker  &  @dcs18

I read above in topic you're talking about rules for Youtube.

See here: 

https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/releases

The last version of uMatrix that I used (in 2017) was 1.0.0.

Sounds like a good initiative from gorhill — worth learning from the logic other folks use, to create their rules.

I'm pleased to see more of you guys using uMatrix, too — it was my fav. ad. blocker until Undertaker convinced me to switch to AdGuard. F3h9xqz.gif

5 hours ago, Ecarion said:

PS : If you need one example, I can upload the ads (ou shoud I called it video_ads ? To be more clear).

Yes pls do so.

BTW this is how it is in my system with your rules.

https://i.imgur.com/wk38C29.png

Points to note: There is not even a single request of media-type coming from googlevideo.com and secondly, my video is not playing at all, in default size, in expanded size or in full screen.

Hmmm....so what was it that was the culprit and preventing the working of the addon?

I suspect that bad news is you don't want it anymore. :P

43 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

Hmmm....so what was it that was the culprit and preventing the working of the addon?

The problem was with the installation of  Firefox and AdGuard, as well.

43 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

I suspect that bad news is you don't want it anymore. :P

Matter of fact, I'm running AdGuard on the standalone add-on and testing it for all parameters except two — loading speed and level of blocking.

Bad News

Have lost almost all my configurations on Firefox and individual Filters & Rules on AdGuard.

46 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

The problem was with the installation of  Firefox and AdGuard, as well.

Now if you have setup AGW then do test whether that local.adguard.com script is present or not.

46 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Matter of fact, I'm running AdGuard on the standalone add-on and testing it for all parameters except two — loading speed and level of blocking.

BY standalone, you mean the standalone version of the addon or the addon independent of the program?

When you are done testing the addon exclusively, try the combo also. Addon + AGW ;)

48 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Have lost almost all my configurations on Firefox and individual Filters & Rules on AdGuard.

AFAIK you, you will be having those in backup form somewhere. Otherwise, you can retrieve it from one of your customers(that'll give you a headstart atleast).

• Matrix locked this topic

Archived