Windows 8.1 Question

uffbros

I have a legal Windows 8 key. I just read an article that I can't use this key to install 8.1. Is this true? Do I have to install 8 first and then get 8.1 from the windows store? That would suck if true as I have the latest 8.1 Update 1 .iso. Is there another way if true? Keep in mind I have a legit key. I know using the various other ways I can do 8.1 from the git go. Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uffbros

• tezza

• Matt

• knowledge-Spammer

Top Posters In This Topic

knowledge-Spammer

install 8 first and then get 8.1 from the windows store is smart thing two do

but cant see y u can not just burn iso and install its what i do with my legal key

• Administrator

I have a legal Windows 8 key. I just read an article that I can't use this key to install 8.1. Is this true? Do I have to install 8 first and then get 8.1 from the windows store? That would suck if true as I have the latest 8.1 Update 1 .iso. Is there another way if true? Keep in mind I have a legit key. I know using the various other ways I can do 8.1 from the git go. Thanks.

No, you can use it on same 8.1 update 1 ISO.

I have a legal Windows 8 key. I just read an article that I can't use this key to install 8.1. Is this true?

it's not if a key what u have is retail & it is if is VL or single language edition(OEM).

It would be nice, yes, if you say more specifically, which key you have and whether have you previously been activated legal to Windows 8 on this computer... it's important to give you any recommendation.

phone microsoft and whine and cry...really... but not like a child would do it... ask them why they are making you jump through all the hoops when you actually paid..they might make an "exception: and give you a key for 8.1

the key for windows 8 works on windows 8.1 and 8.1 update 1.

even after a clean install. even a upgrade key will ,work. (after some changes ) like this to use a upgrade key. save following in a regfile (for use of upgrade key) :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE]
"MediaBootInstall"=dword:00000000

now you can use youre upgrade key

otherwise you can use youre key to activate 8 - 8.1 - 8.1 update1

Thank you all. It is the key from my HP Desktop that came with Win 8 installed. I saved the key from the BIOS

The Windows 8 key will work for Windows 8.1/Update activation but not when you install Windows 8.1. For this to work you have to install Windows 8.1 with a generic OEM key (which is legal), then you can change your key in the control panel (I think in both desktop and metro ones) for activation.

Here's the whole things to do to get the .iso:

1. You go there: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
  2. Download both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 installers.
  3. Launch the Windows 8 one first and paste your legal Windows 8 key
  4. Go next and choose you want the .iso
  5. When the download of Windows 8 starts, close the installer
  6. Launch the Windows 8.1 installer
  7. It will redownload from start, but it will be the Windows 8.1 .iso file.

Oh, and there's the generic OEM key for the installation of Windows 8.1 pro : XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

Simply install Win8.1 Update ISO, (with generic installation key) but the same edition is needed, as you have key for ( ie if you have Pro installed / use Pro ISO, Single language/ SL, Core/Core etc.

If does not activate automatically, simply enter key, job done

;)

Edited by tezza

Simply install Win8.1 Update ISO, (with generic installation key) but the same edition is needed, as you have key for ( ie if you have Pro installed / use Pro ISO, Single language/ SL, Core/Core etc.

;)

I just had my friends Asus Laptop that came with Win 8 Core preinstalled. I got the license extracted from the BIOS. I used my bootable USB drive that has 8.1 for clean installs. It did not ask me for any serial during install probably because I have read it detects the key from the BIOS and installs core or pro depending on the license it detects. It came with Core but it installed Pro. When windows came up for first time it was not activated and the key I had extracted did not activate it. I do many many clean installs on OEM computers so I don't want to do the 8 then 8.1 upgrade route that probably works but takes way too long. So why didn't my scenario work? Can someone point me to a guide that shows exactly what I need to do? Thanks.

;)

I just had my friends Asus Laptop that came with Win 8 Core preinstalled. I got the license extracted from the BIOS. I used my bootable USB drive that has 8.1 for clean installs. It did not ask me for any serial during install probably because I have read it detects the key from the BIOS and installs core or pro depending on the license it detects. It came with Core but it installed Pro. When windows came up for first time it was not activated and the key I had extracted did not activate it. I do many many clean installs on OEM computers so I don't want to do the 8 then 8.1 upgrade route that probably works but takes way too long. So why didn't my scenario work? Can someone point me to a guide that shows exactly what I need to do? Thanks.

Did you use a modded Pro ISO not to ask for a key on installation? Therefore you are installing Pro edition and expecting a Core key to activate it.

(It does not detect the key on installation and install correct edition, correct edition has to be installed).

As stated if Core is installed, you will need to install Core ( same edition as legit Win8 key) , use the latest multiple edition Win8.1 Update ISO ( has Pro and Core, installation key determines which is installed) , and install Core with generic Core installation key ( ending in D3VPT), once installed it will activate automatically by detecting legit key or simply enter your activation key and you should be good to go

Here is a guide for you as well

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/40897-Guide-to-preserve-Windows-8-x-OEM-Activation :)

Edited by tezza

After further investigation of the .iso I am using the sources folder has an ei.cfg file that says the following:

[EditionID]
Professional

[Channel]
Volume

[VL]

This is why it installed Pro and not core. Now I have 2 questions?...Do I just delete the ei.cfg file and rebuild the .iso and it will now ask me for the key? Another scenario would be if the computer won't boot thus I can't retrieve the key from BIOS and I know the version what would the ei.cfg file need to look like for each of the windows versions..Pro and Core like I posted above. I will save this info in the event of a non booting computer. Thanks.

I just did some reading at above site and it says never use VL edition. Is that what I have? Where would I get a Retail then of the latest 8.1 Update 1. This stuff keeps getting more confusing. Since I do mostly OEM installs which version do I want now? Can you point me to them? Thanks.

I just did some reading at above site and it says never use VL edition. Is that what I have? Where would I get a Retail then of the latest 8.1 Update 1. This stuff keeps getting more confusing. Since I do mostly OEM installs which version do I want now? Can you point me to them? Thanks.

pm :)