50 Open Source Replacements for Windows XP

anuseems

Why would people continue using a twelve-year-old operating system that would put them at risk?

No doubt, many are home users who simply aren't very technology savvy and/or may not have the desire or the money to upgrade to a newer version of Windows. Some probably have older, underpowered PCs that can't run Windows 7 or 8. And others have specific softwareoften custom business applicationsthat only runs on Windows XP.

Fortunately, the open source community has free operating systems that meet the needs of users in all of these situations. This month we've put together a list of 50 different applications that can replace Windows XP. It's organized into several different categories. Those that are easiest for beginners to use come first, followed by lightweight operating systems that can run on old hardware, then operating systems that are particularly tailored for business users and open source operating systems that aren't based on Linux. The list ends with a few applications that aren't complete operating systems but do allow users to run their existing XP software from Linux.

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/50-open-source-replacements-for-windows-xp-1.html

Edited by anuseems

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lurch234

• anuseems

• banned

• matekudasai115

Top Posters In This Topic

matekudasai115

Some new OS's no supports some old hardware, so is not possible to upgrade:

PAE required for 32-bit ISOs
The 32-bit ISOs of Linux Mint 14 use a PAE kernel. If your processor is not compatible with PAE please use Linux Mint 13 Maya LTS instead. Linux Mint 13 is supported until 2017.

Only for Intel pentium socket 775 or newer p.e

Why would people continue using a twelve-year-old operating system that would put them at risk?

To make 12-year olds like you ask stupid questions?

To make 12-year olds like you ask stupid questions?

He didn't write that! Its in the source. If you would have checked you would have kept yourself from making a stupid post...

smallhagrid

One great looking alternative mentioned in that helpful article seems to be Robolinux, which is news to me.

An excerpt from their site=>

A personal message to you from the Founder John Martinson:
First of all, permit me to thank you for your time spent reading about Robolinux. Indeed time is the most valuable commodity on earth. In fact the primary mission here at Robolinux is to provide a secure Linux Operating System that significantly increases your productivity on a Personal Computer or laptop, which ultimately saves you time.

My vision was to create "An operating system for your world", so I traveled to dozens of countries, even to many in Asia and listened carefully to hundreds of PC and laptop Users on several continents and here is exactly what I learned:

Each user had several things in common. Firstly they all wanted something virus & malware free. Secondly they wanted to run all their Windows programs they currently like and own. Thirdly they did NOT want a learning curve. The fourth request was to increase their productivity to a greater level. i.e. Accomplish more tasks in less time.

In essence they wanted to do things faster and more securely than what they can do today with Microsoft Windows. They also said it had to be FREE so they could install it on any PC or laptop they desired without paying Microsoft hundreds of dollars per machine.

Many people I talked to had tried Linux but said they went back to Windows so they could use their programs that did not work on any linux operating system.

Welcome to Robolinux version 7 "An Operating System For YOUR World!"

Today my vision is a reality. Now Users all around the earth are downloading Robolinux, reaping the benefits I was so fortunate to be able to create.

Indeed Robolinux runs many times faster than any Windows OS. It also runs Windows programs flawlessly and natively inside its 3D desktop which increases the speed with which you can operate your PC or laptop in our rock solid Linux partition that is not affected by Microsoft Windows viruses & malware.

It all looks very good - very VM oriented while staying very simple - seems ideal for making a windows=>Linux switch...

Seems like it would be very cool to try out as long as it is a freebie, but, go to their download page here=>

http://www.robolinux.org/downloads/

And what is there ??

Buttons requiring small, minimum donations.

Meh.

However if one looks at Distrowatch=>

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=robolinux

There is a link to Sourceforge instead:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/robolinux/files/

Here is the direct link for one option of it:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/robolinux/robolinux32v7.4.1.iso

Aside of this distro there are indeed a total of 50 small write-ups of different things windows 'orphans' can choose from should they wish to avoid contributing to the mikr0$haft wealth & world domination.

My preferred configuration is likely to remain Ubuntu + LXDE + XP running in VMWare Player because it is easy, very fast & stable.

I'll likely give this Robolinux a spin though when I have time to get it's ~2GB ISO.

Edited by smallhagrid

Soon X.P. Will be Forgotten but not gone. It will than be the safest platform to run on. Useing EmuLaters to run Software Like AnyDvd :rolleyes: