Microsoft Security Essentials bug kills XP boxes

anuseems

Minor bug turning into a nightmare for IT departments

From Fudzilla:

Microsoft discontinued support for Windows XP earlier this month, which prompted more than one security scare. However, Microsoft and various security outfits were quick to reassure the public. Even though there was no official support, XP could be patched and kept secure.

However, it is now starting to look as if the biggest problem was caused by none other than Redmond. More specifically, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSSE) is killing XP boxes, just in case we needed an extra dose of irony and sarcasm this morning. Microsoft discontinued support for XP on April 8, but it is still updating MSSE for XP users. The last update to the Anti Malware Service for Windows XP seems to be the culprit.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34518-microsoft-security-essentials-bug-kills-xp-boxes

Edited by anuseems

• Replies 26
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcs18

• CPowell46

• SPECTRUM

• jackieo

Top Posters In This Topic

"Microsoft Security Essentials is the source of the problem. For some reason the security suite starts acting up and cases XP systems to slow down dramatically, rendering them practically useless in some situations."

is fake, I'm running a XP machine here with MSE updated, and everything is working fine.

it have red color but still works, also updates continue working too.

Microsoft Security Essentials bug kills XP boxes

I agree with what's been expressed above - it must be a fake or, . . . . . . . . at least, a Microsoft trick. :yes:

My logic is simple - how can Microsoft Security Essentials kill something that's already dead. :unsure:

It's the zombie of xp that's alive now. Its soul (MSFT) has left it and now just the body remains.

MSFT is now playing the game 'Zombienator'.

Holly Stewart, senior program manager of the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, has told Dennis Technology Labs in an interview that Security Essentials is intended to provide "baseline" protection and recommended that users install an anti-virus on top of it for better security from advanced threats.

Source

You don't need MSE on an XP box. Period, end of story. I NEVER run it on any of my machines.

for people like us, it only gets in the way, if you know what I mean ;) we know what-not-to-click-on by now dont we? cmon man....

you dont need MSE on ANY machine.

and anyway... installing xp is no big deal . even from scratch...autopatcher, or a good backup image of your C: drive,

using Acronis Home or equivalent,

and youre all set to recover from a big f*kup like this.

stupid micro$oft

Edited by jackieo

Some people are actually hostile toward those of us who intend to continue using XP. This attitude isn't far short of pathological. It doesn't bother me in the least that many, many people like 7. 7 isn't for me, but everyone to his own taste. It doesn't even bother me that a few people like 8; somewhere there may even be someone who likes Vista. I may not understand these people, but I don't think less of them because their tastes differ from mine.

Some Peepz don't like Windows 7, they don't like Windows 8, they don't like Windows 8.1, they don't like the 8.1 Update - whew, they don't like liver.

It's each to his own life - life though, differs from Liver to Liver (pun intended.)

XP is an awesome platform, it taught me everything i know basically...Win ME was my introduction to computers, back in 2001...

and thankfully XP came along and saved the day!

vista was a huge disapointment

Win7 was too until sp1 came out, then i tried it last summer, and ya know what? I really like 7, everything that ran under XP runs under 7

and to me.... so far win8 is a joke. they try to reinvent the wheel, its maddening.

I have a fondness for XP...Its a brilliant system, but i think it has run its course, because most of the new software and games are more demanding of graphics horsepower and processing....time to move on...BUT- if you just surf the web XP is fine..into infinity basically...til the hardware dies.

Edited by jackieo

Yes, XP was an awesome platform, for me - 12 years ago.

Yes, Vista was a great disappointment - did have the best looks of it's day (had skinned my XP Pro to look like Vista.)

No, Windows 7 was never a disappointment for me - until it became possible to port a Start Menu onto Windows 8.

No, Windows 8 is not a joke - unless the User is a Joker or a Clown.

Right, XP is fit just to surf the net - with the connection firmly switched off.

XP is good enough for quite a lot more than "surfing the Web". It's good enough for developing and executing some pretty substantial programs for astrodynamics, electrodynamics, optics, et cetera. And it's good enough for writing books on astrodynamics, numerical analysis, and nuclear rockets. I imagine it's good enough for a number of other things that I haven't tried.

By the way, I'm amused, not annoyed, by snide remarks from people whose intellects are obviously far inferior to my own.

That's exactly the point - most XP Users get shafted for being under the delusion that others are inferior to them.

Now, here are some self-confessed examples that supposedly make an XP User superior to others:--

• "surfing the Web"
  • "developing and executing some pretty substantial programs for astrodynamics, electrodynamics, optics, et cetera."
  • "And it's good enough for writing books on astrodynamics, numerical analysis, and nuclear rockets."
  • "other things that I haven't tried."

It just so happens that this particular XP user is decidedly superior to many "others"...mentioning no names. Computer users are not all created equal.

I think I've made my point...ably assisted by a person who seems to assume that he is the target of a slur upon the intelligence of un-named persons!

But the best solution to the problem is to use an anti-malware program that is more effective than Security Essentials...and that could be just about any other program.