Microsoft confirms it's dropping Windows 8.1 support

anuseems

"Microsoft TechNet blog makes clear that Windows 8.1 will not be patched, and that users must get Windows 8.1 Update if they want security patches, InfoWorld's Woody Leonhard reports. 'In what is surely the most customer-antagonistic move of the new Windows regime, Steve Thomas at Microsoft posted a TechNet article on Saturday stating categorically that Microsoft will no longer issue security patches for Windows 8.1, starting in May,' Leonhard writes. 'Never mind that Windows 8.1 customers are still having multiple problems with errors when trying to install the Update..."

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/04/15/0053213/microsoft-confirms-it-is-dropping-windows-81-support

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-confirms-its-dropping-windows-81-support-240407

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gladiatormsft/archive/2014/04/12/information-regarding-the-latest-update-for-windows-8-1.aspx

Edited by anuseems

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GRiM

• dodo248

• dcs18

• Rok

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they kidding?! :wtf:

So I have to install this update whether I like it or not otherwise I leave my PC at risk? Really good job MS :thumbsdown: ......You keep losing customers everyday, hope you realize the mistakes you are doing before it's too late

I don't see how this is much different from requiring an update in order to continue receiving support ~1 year after the release of a service pack. That's how it's always been.

So I have to install this update whether I like it or not otherwise I leave my PC at risk? Really good job MS :thumbsdown: ......You keep losing customers everyday, hope you realize the mistakes you are doing before it's too late0

And what's wrong with that? The nacesary patches are in the update, why is necesary to duplicate work? Your point is wrong.

So I have to install this update whether I like it or not otherwise I leave my PC at risk? Really good job MS :thumbsdown: ......You keep losing customers everyday, hope you realize the mistakes you are doing before it's too late0

And what's wrong with that? The nacesary patches are in the update, why is necesary to duplicate work? Your point is wrong.

Agreed. Similar case was with e.g. XP SP3 -- you needed to install it first to receive the rest of the updates.

The topic title is a bit misleading don't you think?

lets say it straight up , the topic is all F up :D....MS patches will fit only win8.1 with update1 ... that "all" < :wtf:

So I have to install this update whether I like it or not otherwise I leave my PC at risk? Really good job MS :thumbsdown: ......You keep losing customers everyday, hope you realize the mistakes you are doing before it's too late

therefore i am going to shut down windows permanently and waiting for Trusty Tahr 14.4. I don't like licencious behavior of Microsoft.

So I have to install this update whether I like it or not otherwise I leave my PC at risk?

Do you know how stupid you sound when you said this?

On one side, you don't want to install updates, and the other you cry for not getting support!! come on grow up.

SnakeMasteR

What's more important 4 ya, security or "liking" something? M$ could give 2 shits about if people like it or not, i can fill a frikken book with shit M$ did in the past i don't like. You should read maybe why they won't support 8.1 anymore, it's understandable and a logic step.

You could just go back to Windows 7 if you don't "like" 8+, it's that easy. ;)

On one side, you don't want to install updates, and the other you cry for not getting support!! come on grow up.

That's not my point.....I always keep my PC updated, but I don't like some of the features of 8.1 update so I shouldn't be forced to install it. If I want to stick to 8.1, they should keep supporting it not kill it, come on it's not Win XP

So I have to install this update whether I like it or not otherwise I leave my PC at risk?

Do you know how stupid you sound when you said this?

No I don't know......why don't you enlighten me :wtf:

Again I know that, I just don't like the 8.1 update so MS shouldn't force customers to install it by ceasing support for 8.1

We are not talking about an ordinary update with security patches, we are talking an update that changes many stuff in Windows so it should be optional

That's not my point.....I always keep my PC updated, but I don't like some of the features of 8.1 update so I shouldn't be forced to install it. If I want to stick to 8.1, they should keep supporting it not kill it, come on it's not Win X

Which are those features of Windows 8.1 Update that you don't like?

well after I read the articles; what I understood that it's not thay they will stop updating your windows, but they will stop making the downloadable update files so it's more or less like if you dont have a cracked or licensed windows that can download auto from the windows updates, you can download stand-alone files to update your windows, i dont think there is more to it, so it's not something that will affect anyone, its more of making their job easier and more efficient

That's not my point.....I always keep my PC updated, but I don't like some of the features of 8.1 update so I shouldn't be forced to install it. If I want to stick to 8.1, they should keep supporting it not kill it, come on it's not Win XP

If that's you want, than just imagine, where Windows will end up, and how much development would need??? And, above all the development of the new updates would never happen, as the developers will remain busy customizing Windows per user.

MidnightDistortions

The problem shouldn't be UI issues, you can customize it the way you want it to and that's one good thing about W8 is that it encourages others to create custom UI's for Windows or just about any OS for that matter.

The problem with cutting support for your existing W8 version within 30 days if the update doesn't work correctly and your stuck without it and then your stuck with being unsecure. 30 days isn't enough, 120 days for businesses might be better but it depends on how long fixes are made and whether you can make the time to make it work.

This is why so many PC's are running unsecure these days is because users are unable to update leaving them wondering what to do.

You're not forced to install it. Either install it or don't, choice is yours.

What features of 8.1 update dont you like enough to make you not want to update?