Windows XP with No Support Is like a Car Without Airbags, Lights, and Seat Belts, Expert Claims

software182

software182
Windows-XP-With-No-Support-Is-Like-a-Car

Another day, another self-proclaimed security expert makes comments on Windows XP, the operating system that will get the axe in no less than 10 days.

This time, Tim LeRoy, an engineer working for Novatech, a company that also provides IT assistance to small businesses, told Portsmouth.co.uk that Windows XP without support was basically like a car without airbags, seat belts and without any lights, explaining that it was extremely dangerous to use both of them.

“If you’ve ever been a victim of a serious attack you’ll know that at best it’s incredibly irritating and disruptive, but at worst it can be a terrible personal violation, cripple all of your finances and delete some of your most precious digital possessions,” he pointed out.

What’s more, he defended Microsoft and its efforts to kill Windows XP, adding that Redmond wasn’t trying to move users to a newer OS version because it wanted to sell more licenses, but due to the fact that Windows 8.1 was much safer and more reliable than previous builds.

Microsoft wants all users to move from Windows XP to Windows 8.1, but such a transition would also involve hardware upgrades, which obviously makes the process much more expensive. It remains to be seen, however, how many users complete the migration to a newer Windows platform by April 8.

Source : softpedia

• Replies 34
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcs18

• CPowell46

• dMog

• MidnightDistortions

Windows XP with No Support Is like a Car Without Airbags, Lights, and Seat Belts, Expert Claims

I reckon it's more like a car without a parachute. :tehe:

What’s more, he defended Microsoft and its efforts to kill Windows XP, adding that Redmond wasn’t trying to move users to a newer OS version because it wanted to sell more licenses, but due to the fact that Windows 8.1 was much safer and more reliable than previous builds.

Sure, I agree that XP must die (sooner than later) - I do not agree, though that XP Users should necessarily move to a Windows platform only.

The fact remains though that if moving over to a different platform Windows Users will certainly find incompatibility with various software a major turn down.

Edited by dcs18

How can Microsoft's creatures keep straight faces? I've been using XP since it was released, have installed no updates since SP3, and have had no malware problems. If you have Avast!, why do you need Microsoft's "security updates"?

I myself had used XP right from it's inception - when it wasn't so royally pimped & pawned. Why did those who boast of never having installed updates feel compelled to install the SP3? :unsure:

A warm welcome also to the new savior of the Universe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Avast. :lol:

Much experience with Windows updates makes it quite clear that letting the more trusting users field test them is a very good idea. By the time an update is incorporated into a Service Pack, you can be fairly sure that it will at least do no harm.

I don't consider Avast! the Saviour of the Universe. I merely mention it as one of a number of effective anti-malware programs. As a matter of fact, I'm using AVG at the moment.

Experience with Windows Update is not a monopoly of only XP Users or only Avast Users - for that matter.

All security system can be effective if the User is effective - no security system can be effective if the kernel itself is a whore.

How can Microsoft's creatures keep straight faces? I've been using XP since it was released, have installed no updates since SP3, and have had no malware problems. If you have Avast!, why do you need Microsoft's "security updates"?

because xp has so many holes in it even with sp3

and avast sucks in a big way

Over the years, those holes in the eXPerience have become quite large, too - it's time now for the final hole . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . deep down into the ground, with the Dinosaurs. :pope:

No XP user has the slightest desire to force XP upon anyone who doesn't want to use it. But there seem to be a lot of people, in and out of Microsoft, who would, if they could, force 8 upon everyone who prefers to stick with XP. Fortunately, these people lack the ability to force the rest of us to use an OS we don't like.

Still hope that XP can survive longer as it is always the best OS !

When I dumped XP in 2006 - she was already an old ugly fag . . . . . . . . (can't see how a particular XP User can even dream of pimping it to me - today . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 years down the line.) :lol:

i know several older people (in their late 70's and older)that only use their computers for email and looking at their pictures and surf the web to look for vacation places... now they think if they turn their XP computer on for 10 seconds it will cause the very end of their existence on this earth because within 10 seconds some cyber criminal form russia will steal their identity and all their money and possessions

Microsoft wants these and other ignorant users to be frightened...if there's any chance of selling 8 to them.

Nobody here gives a $hit about Microsoft and what they think - this thread is not about anybody selling (not just Windows 8, but) any Windows to anybody and that's a point which was made abundantly clear at the very outset, on my very first post (highlighted in red letters.) This thread is purely about the inevitable demise of XP.

As for the ignorant XP users - well, it's not possible for anybody to change their kind of chromosomes (we're not interested, either - we've got better things on our minds.) BTW, we've only gathered here - with pleasure, for the funeral procession. :pope:

The obituaries for XP have been greatly exaggerated. But if they make the XP-haters happy, the rest of us don't mind.

Hakah, it's not a question of XP surviving. You can use it for the rest of your life if you like. Of course, the time may come when you can't update some of your programs, but the versions you're using now will continue to work.

MidnightDistortions

Do people even need XP to surf the internet? Linux can take care of that and you shouldn't need to upgrade your hardware either. Though i think the average person who doesn't even know what an OS is will probably stay on XP looking at cat pics all day and wonder why their PC is dying. :huh:

That's such a painful & torturous death - waiting in suspended animation even as each and every life support system is yanked off. First, Microsoft delivers the slap on the butt, chopping off its umbilical cord - next, all 3rd party Developers join in the conspiracy to choke XP even as farting & gurgling noises emanate from all the wrong outlets in its last gasping breaths.

FWIW, umpteen of 3rd party Developers have not bothered to even wait for Microsoft to arrive with the axe - they already went ahead opting for technology against backward compatibility, by stopping all further development and support for XP . . . . . . . . . Adobe Photoshop CC, Java Runtime Environment 8, Adobe Lightroom, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7, Adobe Illustrator CC, onOne Software Photo Suite 8 - the list is growing by the day . . . . . . . . . . . and the XP Apologists cry foul.

I don't understand why the fact that some of us dislike XP less than we dislike Vista, 7, and 8 causes some people so much distress. Do all these people work for Microsoft?

I hate liver, but it doesn't bother me in the least that some people like it. I don't even think less of a person for liking liver.

MidnightDistortions

XP got 12 years, that's impressive for any OS to really last that long. Linux would be a good solution if your tired of having to upgrade your hardware (and possibly lose some software), but MS putting XP under the bus isn't really different when they did the same with 3.1, W95, 98, ect.. they do have that right to cut off support if they wish. But you only have yourself to blame for not coming up with a solution to the problem. Eventually W7 will get the same treatment, i'm not worried though because i am already making the switch to Linux.