Fix Windows 8.1 GUI Bug

rkkdjb

Since no one else posted this, i took the intiative.

Let's talk about the bug first. Whenever u delete a file and the delete confirmation dialog box appears (if u have it enabled) u might notice a black line on the left of the file icon(see pics), this was not present in the earlier version of Windows and has started to appear in Windows 8.1 and thereafter.

BUG Pics

ESJ5y6S.png

Correct GUI(BUG Fixed)

VrXttfx.png

So here's the solution.

U might want to copy the below into a text file bcoz it requires numerous sign outs.

For easy testing, create a new folder on desktop.

1. Go to Desktop

2. right click anywhere and bring the context menu.

3. go to personalize

4. go to display(see bottom of the left pane).

5. there tick and enable 'Let me chose one scaling level for all my display', it is by deafult set to medium option(if it's not chose medium), click apply, click sign out now and then sign in again.

6. ur icons and screen will be magnified and the bug is still present(check on the created folder).

7. again go to display and this time chose smaller( from samller and medium options), click apply, click sign out now and then sign in again.

8. ur screen and icons will be back to normal but the bug is still present(check on the created folder).

9. again go to display, and this time just disable or untick the 'Let me chose one scaling level for all my display', click apply, click sign out now and then sign in again.

10. now check the folder, this solves the folder gui bug only.

But is still present on other file types(vlc, jpg, txt, iso, srt, etc.) To solve this, proceed further.

11. now again enable or tick 'Let me chose one scaling level for all my display', click apply, click sign out now and then sign in again.

12. last step, disable or untick the 'Let me chose one scaling level for all my display', click apply, click sign out now and then sign in again.

Restart ur computer.

p.s. for some people, the bug may stop at step 10 only, for others at step 11, for majority at step 12. And ofcourse, some exceptions are always there(for whom it may do nothing).

• Replies 20
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not a proper fix, Scaling down the DPI settings makes fonts & display look jagged! Good news is that with the recent Windows 8.1.1 UR update Delete Confirmation dialog box bug is fixed :yes: but send to context Menu bug is still there! :P

IMO No one can fix this issue unless Microsoft releases a working Patch! :pissed:

This is not a proper fix, Scaling down the DPI settings makes fonts & display look jagged! Good news is that with the recent Windows 8.1.1 UR update Delete Confirmation dialog box bug is fixed :yes: but send to context Menu bug is still there! :P

IMO No one can fix this issue unless Microsoft releases a working Patch! :pissed:

thanx for ur opinion but if u look carefully at the end we r setting all the things to their defaults only, so initially it make look jagged and all but after completion of the steps its back to normal.... :)

i m not having the context menu bug(mayb the above fixed it) and i m unable to reproduce it also, so sorry in that regard.

@rkkdjb.. It may work sometimes..hence may be workaround only but not the permanent solution.. :rolleyes:

I tried all the steps.. but still Send To bug is still there.. :o

Better wait for MS patch or the MS update.. :lol:

@rkkdjb.. It may work sometimes..hence may be workaround only but not the permanent solution.. :rolleyes:

thanx for ur opinion but this post is for dialog box gui fix only, and not for context menu, plz tell if it worked for the post as listed....

nowhere i m claiming the context menu fix here....

thanx for ur opinion but this post is for dialog box gui fix only, and not for context menu, plz tell if it worked for the post as listed....

nowhere i m claiming the context menu fix here....

Oops! the fix is not for context menu.. :P

Anyway for other gui bug, it worked but after restarting the system the bug is still there.. :(

Let's talk about the bug first. Whenever u delete a file and the delete confirmation dialog box appears (if u have it enabled) u might notice a black line on the left of the file icon(see pics), this was not present in the earlier version of Windows and has started to appear in Windows 8.1 and thereafter

I do not have this problem in my W8.1. neither in my laptop. So stop using tools that mess up your PC, my recommendation :P

Let's talk about the bug first. Whenever u delete a file and the delete confirmation dialog box appears (if u have it enabled) u might notice a black line on the left of the file icon(see pics), this was not present in the earlier version of Windows and has started to appear in Windows 8.1 and thereafter

I do not have this problem in my W8.1. neither in my laptop. So stop using tools that mess up your PC, my recommendation :P

why not post screenshots of various file types then, just like i did?

UnderShadow

I think there's a worse bug on the delete subject in windows 8/8.1.

If there are enough files in the recycle, say more than those on display, and you open recycle bin and then empty it, it does not display empty, you can still see a lot of files in the recycle bin despite the fact it's now empty.

I think there's a worse bug on the delete subject in windows 8/8.1.

If there are enough files in the recycle, say more than those on display, and you open recycle bin and then empty it, it does not display empty, you can still see a lot of files in the recycle bin despite the fact it's now empty.

will look upon it but no idea atm

sloppy coding.. what's so great about Windows 8 again that justify putting up with all these problems?

was successful in reproducing the context menu bug, reversed the steps to fix it.

pics:

I1WEcnK.png

an interesting observation while finding the fix:

try opening the context menu with keyboard.

just select a file, then right click it from mouse or keyboard(the key b/w Alt and Ctrl on the right of space bar).

donot use mouse nywhere in the next step

select send to by pressing 'n' and see if the bug is still there....

If the bug is not there, the problem can be solved.

Again the solution is not universal but one thing is for sure that it has to do with display settings only like in above case.

Hence, u need to try out various combination and see which one fixes ur problem.

• 4 months later...

A long time back my friends Roger D and SlimRock asked for the solution to 'Send-To' Context Menu Bug, gud thing i found a solution

Here's the bug illustrated, notice the icon in the context menu:

Bugged.png

But it should look like this :

Correct.png

The Solution is very easy, navigate to system properties > Advanced system settings > go to Advanced Tab > In the performance section, select settings > disable/uncheck the entry 'Fade or Slide menus into view' > click apply > Ok done :D

image.png

(Disable/uncheck the highlighted option in the image above)

During the very initial Windows 8 phase, this was pointed out to me (at the ShoutBox) - did not find the mentioned flaws on my config, then - do not find it now, either.

This could possibly be because of my customized icons. yXZVmpE.gif

During the very initial Windows 8 phase, this was pointed out to me (at the ShoutBox) - did not find the mentioned flaws on my config, then - do not find it now, either.

Well, what can i say u r the Configurator, The Perfectionist, knew u wud have it solved already :thumbsup: :cheers:

Well, what can i say u r the Configurator, The Perfectionist, knew u wud have it solved already :thumbsup: :cheers:

In my case, rather - I think the superior quality of those hand-made icons bypassed the issues mentioned above. yXZVmpE.gif

• 2 weeks later...

you think its copied :think:

well :think: again as it maybe other way round

or if u have any concern why not ask VG himself who presented him with the guide first :yes:

copy cat.... :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived