Help - This Intel or That AMD ?

majithia23

So, i am rejuvenating my old ( actually , very old ! ) home PC with a new build .

Nothing fancy , but just the basic build .

I am in a fix in shortlisting one of these processors .

Intel Core i3-3220 @ 3.30GHz

or

AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core

These 2 cost almost the same .

Increasing the budget a little , i can slip in the option for AMD FX-6300 Six-Core .

Now my requirements for this PC are the cliched ones -- The regular basic use . Mom and dad more so use this PC .

Surfing, HD Movies view , HD pictures view, light gaming, Skyping, MS Office and all that .

So i think for these requirements the FX6300 will be a huge overkill !!!

I have never used an AMD . So no idea about it .

The old CPU was Pentium 4 and it served pretty well , until lately when its aging speed or system entropy started showing signs and the system indeed seemed liked from the rock ages !

So for the above requirements , keeping in mind Performance , Reliability , Longevity what do yo guys suggest .

Any other models also , please tell .

Also, I wouldnt mind going for a model lesser in the specs compared to these listed , given it serves the requirements well :)

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• majithia23

• Djurba

• jackieo

• STEEL

look at this system and see if u can get an offer -> here - its around £50 more then the one you posted in UK for this current one.

Edited by Sonar

In 2005 I built my XP desktop box with a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester and overclocked it 30% from 1800 to 2.4 stable :) with 1 gig ram

AMD processors have the memory controller inside the cpu so you gain a bit of performance boost

personally, im an AMD guy, I wouldnt think of using intel anything. their graphics makes me puke - Im a gamer, so there ya go :)

I've been looking at something similar recently, and I've been an AMD fan for years, however I am currently running an intel cpu. My personal preference are the AMD chipsets, I've just always found them easier for overclocking.

I wouldnt think of using intel anything. their graphics makes me puke

Intel only produce on-board graphics cards, which are limited anyway, but it's certainly no basis to not use an intel processor.

I run a Intel Q9550 2.7 oc'd to 3.10 on stock, along side a 8800 768mb gtx, runs most games fine (bf4, cs:go, tf2, starcraft, grid 2, Skyrim....and more) clearly not all at max resolution with ultra AA x 44 and the rest, but it's the card producing the graphics, not the CPU. :)

Yes I'm long time gamer..

Edited by Dodel

Thanks for the suggestions guys .

The FX range by AMD is sure good enough . The FX 4300 is an under performer , as i noted from the reviews and most recommend investing a few bucks more to go for the FX 6300 . And most probably yes over the i3 range .

But one thing i noticed is that the FX range lacks onboard graphics !

Here comes now , the AMD APU range . Been going through the models available and they sure seem pretty impressive . Dedicated Radeon chip and a multi core CPU in one unit !

Any personal reviews about the APU chips performance ....?

Here comes now , the AMD APU range . Been going through the models available and they sure seem pretty impressive . Dedicated Radeon chip and a multi core CPU in one unit !

I dont know it by my personal experience , but my friend have latest edition of AMD APU Richland , and he is very satisfeid, he is using it for almost same things that you had mentioned. Actually AMD have build APU chip especially for that group of users , plus integrated graphic on latest Kaveri is good for even medium low gaming on latest games , of course paired with some fast RAM . With integrated graphics your PC woud be pretty quiet aswell . CPU lacks L3 cache , but overall I think its pretty fast for regular pc using. I am not forcing you to go on APU Kaveri , take your time and think whats best for you :) , I am planing to build APU machine for myself soon . Of course that I would buy some Intel I7 paired with some high end MB and some GTX Titan graphics , but I dont have money for that . You cant go wrong with AMD FX 6300 aswell , I think after FX 8350 , FX 6300 has best price/performance ratio . .But as some guy on newegg told APU is not to great for non-gaming purposes. If you are not looking to exploit its gaming capabilities then go with a non-APU comparably priced CPU, not that CPU in APU is bad , its blazing fast compared to old chips , but I must agree with his qoute. I can suggest you 3 ways , go for AMD APU build ( plus MBos for APU are really cheap right now and with very good performance ) , 2nd - Go for AMD FX 6300 paired with some cheap GPU like R7 250 1GBDDR5( will be enough for your needs) , or 3rd- You can even go for AMD Athlon x4 750 k paired with some cheap GPU , that CPU is ultra cheap and for regular users gives ultra perfromance , and you can put it on some FM2+ motherboard cause its compatibile with FM2+ socket ,so in year or 2 you can upgrade it with some new generation APU. Cheers :)

Edited by Djurba

Nothing fancy , but just the basic build .

Now my requirements for this PC are the cliched ones -- The regular basic use . Mom and dad more so use this PC .

Surfing, HD Movies view , HD pictures view, light gaming, Skyping, MS Office and all that .

az by that rquirement u can go for intel core 2 processor.......

if more high u need go for intel corei3 if more u want to spend then core i5

For an IGP build(minus dGPU) you really cannot go wrong with AMD plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a comparable Intel build, any Intel build in fact especially in India, plus with an aftermarket CPU cooler you can overclock it as well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys .

The FX range by AMD is sure good enough . The FX 4300 is an under performer , as i noted from the reviews and most recommend investing a few bucks more to go for the FX 6300 . And most probably yes over the i3 range .

But one thing i noticed is that the FX range lacks onboard graphics !

This ~

Go for AMD APU Kaveri A10 7850K .

For this; CORE I3 = Perfect.

Allright , thanks for the good input guys . Appreciate it ...!

Did some survey and weighed out my options .

I strongly wanted to go for the AMD FX6300 processor , simple because it indeed is a very good and capable chip esp for the price . But, the pricing of assembling this chip exceeded my budget as it requires a better MoBo and a graphic card too !

And more so , the FX6300 is a powerful silicon which would have been wasted if it was to be used to watch just Youtube or play Solitaire !

So dropped the FX6300 .

@Djurba,Roh1t

The same thoughts ! Best of both the worlds in an AMD APU unit .

The A10 was not available , so i shortlisted the A8 5600K . But i wanted a USB3.0 with HDMI port MoBo and the mechanic did not had such a board readily available . The one he had was quite expensive . So by the time he arranged for a decent budget board with these specs , the last A8 was already sold out by the dealer !

The next available piece was 4 days from today .

I had to finalize this build today , so in the end bought a i3 !

A good processor with a decent onboard graphic chip . Should suffice .

Jammed it on to a Gigabyte B75M-D3H board

So now --

i3 3220

Gigabyte B75M-D3H http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4308#ov

Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 4 GB http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/hyperx/blu

WD Caviar Green 1 Tb

:)

I was in a similar situation last month. Had a customer who needed a new desktop for business purpose and I got to a point where I had to decide whether if I should get the Intel i5-4670 or the AMD FX-8350. Price wise the AMD was cheaper about £30-40. I looked at every benchmark possible and even though AMD had overall better than the Intel, I choose to go for the Intel for two reasons.

1. Intel out performs AMD on single-threaded applications
  2. Lower power consumption of the Haswell chip

The main deciding factor was the fact that i5-4670 was faster at single-threaded applications. If the customer on the other hand was a gamer or does video editing I would have gone for the AMD FX-8350.

So to sum up you should go for the Intel Core i3, preferably as mentioned above get the Haswell 4th gen.

Allright , thanks for the good input guys . Appreciate it ...!

Did some survey and weighed out my options .

I strongly wanted to go for the AMD FX6300 processor , simple because it indeed is a very good and capable chip esp for the price . But, the pricing of assembling this chip exceeded my budget as it requires a better MoBo and a graphic card too !

And more so , the FX6300 is a powerful silicon which would have been wasted if it was to be used to watch just Youtube or play Solitaire !

So dropped the FX6300 .

@Djurba,Roh1t

The same thoughts ! Best of both the worlds in an AMD APU unit .

The A10 was not available , so i shortlisted the A8 5600K . But i wanted a USB3.0 with HDMI port MoBo and the mechanic did not had such a board readily available . The one he had was quite expensive . So by the time he arranged for a decent budget board with these specs , the last A8 was already sold out by the dealer !

The next available piece was 4 days from today .

I had to finalize this build today , so in the end bought a i3 !

A good processor with a decent onboard graphic chip . Should suffice .

Jammed it on to a Gigabyte B75M-D3H board

So now --

i3 3220

Gigabyte B75M-D3H http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4308#ov

Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 4 GB http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/hyperx/blu

WD Caviar Green 1 Tb

:)

mr-burns-evil-laugh-smiley-emoticon.gif :lol: :)

i can give opinion based on personal experience..

I had an old HP Pavilion DV4, which originally came with Vista.. and an Intel Pentium Dual Core t4200 @ 2 Ghz.

- so you can do the math and figure out about how old it is..

Just got a new HP Pavilion TS 14, came with Win8, and an AMD A4-5000 QuadCore SoC @ 1.5 GHz.

- same as Playstation 4/XBox's platform ..

Based on my experience between those two architectures:

- if you plan to go with AMD.. ensure it has Turbo ..

AMD is not as advanced in CPU development / manufacturing.. essentially .. i have 4 underpowered Cores ..

Given my choice.. i'd stick with Intel..

my old Intel Pentium would blow this AMD apart .. it only had 2 cores.. but were efficient..

Intel has AMD beat in the CPU stage..

AMD is able to compensate a bit with their SoC platform.. where the GPU/CPU share everything.. improving performance.. but it's still in infancy stage..

• 1 year later...

For CPU, my choice will be Intel always and I won't mind paying a few extra bucks to get one.