How To Upgrade From Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro Without Phone Activation

november_ra1n

november_ra1n

Important Notice:

1. This method works only W8 Pro to W8.1 Pro if you activate your Windows 8 Pro With Retail Keys.

2. It is only upgrading will not work clean installation.

3. Windows 8.1 WMC Edition does not work below methot!

Instruction:

1. Enable Show hidden files, folders and drivers to order to see and save all activation backup files

Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization

Then Checked Show hidden files, folders and drivers

t5d4.png

2. You need to backup your Windows 8 activation files...

A. Automatic backup Windows 8 activation files

Download Advance Token Manager

http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/
Click to start Application automatically backup activation files and save it in folder we need those 2 files.

data.dat

tokens.dat

or

B. Manual Backup Method

Go to this location and save spp folder in somewhere save in your other hard drive, partition, usb stick DVD etc..

C:\Windows\System32\spp\store\2.0
nzck.png

We only need 2 files.

1 file named data.dat which is hidden

1 file named tokens.dat which is visible

3. Download And Install Windows 8.1 RTM Pro Edition and use generic installation key when you are upgrading. More Info and download links in other topic there >>>

4. Stop sppsvc service

net stop sppsvc 
y7vf.png

5. Rename original data.dat file to cache.dat file and copy replace in the folder below: [from Advanced Tokens Manager/Windows Activation Backup to or from manual backup folder]

C:\Windows\System32\spp\store\2.0\cache
ky7g.png

6. Copy & Replace the tokens.dat file from Advanced Tokens Manager/Windows Activation Backup to or from manual backup folder

system32/spp/store/2.0
08du.png

7. Start sppsvc service back again

net start sppsvc 
q4jx.png

8. insert the key which you activated over the phone by using command pormpt

Type this script and hit Enter

slmgr.vbs -ipk <Your Product Key when you activate Windows 8> 
Example of <Product Key>: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-6273P

Done..!

aj5b.png

It does work for me as i was trying you have nothing to lose if it is not working for you you know where to go.....!

More Info About Activating Windows 8.1 RTM.

Edited by november_ra1n

• Replies 29
  • Views 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• november_ra1n

• hamede

• anakin206

• tezza

november_ra1n

I would like to see a full tut on how to uprade from Windows 8 to Windows 7...no pun intended.

lol just open your DVD Drive replace Windows 7 DVD ISO on the top of the Windows 8 DVD close the driver, reboot windows and install on boot that will do the job.

I would like to see a full tut on how to uprade from Windows 8 to Windows 7...no pun intended.

lol just open your DVD Drive replace Windows 7 DVD ISO on the top of the Windows 8 DVD close the driver, reboot windows and install on boot that will do the job.

Well ya see, that won't work as easy as that. I wish it was that simple lol.

@NR

does the upgrade mean installing win 8.1 pro rtm OVER top of windows 8 ?

how much time its take ? is it like installing full win 8.1 (regarding time consuming? )

10x :)

november_ra1n

@NR

does the upgrade mean installing win 8.1 pro rtm OVER top of windows 8 ?

how much time its take ? is it like installing full win 8.1 (regarding time consuming? )

10x :)

Yes it does over ****Windows 8 PRO****

Upgrading and clean installation take similar time to install they are fast to install within 10 min usually...

Edited by november_ra1n

Important Notice:

1. This method works only W8 Pro to W8.1 Pro if you activate your Windows 8 Pro With Retail Keys.

Instruction:

1. Enable Show hidden files, folders and drivers to order to see and save all activation backup files

t5d4.png

Click to start Application automatically backup activation files and save it in folder we need those 2 files.

data.dat

tokens.dat

or

B. Manual Backup Method

Go to this location and save spp folder in somewhere save in your other hard drive, partition, usb stick DVD etc..

nzck.png

We only need 2 files.

3. Download And Install Windows 8.1 RTM Pro Edition and use generic installation key when you are upgrading. More Info and download links in other topic there >>>

4. Stop sppsvc service

net stop sppsvc 
y7vf.png

5. Rename original data.dat file to cache.dat file and copy replace in the folder below: [from Advanced Tokens Manager/Windows Activation Backup to or from manual backup folder]

ky7g.png

6. Copy & Replace the tokens.dat file from Advanced Tokens Manager/Windows Activation Backup to or from manual backup folder

system32/spp/store/2.0
08du.png

net start sppsvc 
q4jx.png

Done..!

aj5b.png

It does work for me as i was trying you have nothing to lose if it is not working for you you know where to go.....!

Yes experiment succeeded it Thank you for the information

johnny lovejoy

wonder if my Windows 8 WMC Edition, also work using this method?
anyway, many thanks for all you've done, you guys are great, great, great =D

Edited by johnny lovejoy

blazeblaze456

Important Notice:

Instruction:

t5d4.png

data.dat

tokens.dat

or

B. Manual Backup Method

nzck.png

We only need 2 files.

4. Stop sppsvc service

net stop sppsvc 
y7vf.png

ky7g.png

system32/spp/store/2.0
08du.png

net start sppsvc 
q4jx.png

Done..!

aj5b.png

Edited by blazeblaze456

november_ra1n

Will the steps enumerated work with Windows 8 Enterprise to Windows 8.1 Enterprise?

Nope as the title says only Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro.

:wtf: is it possible to do an upgrade to W8.1 Pro from W8.0 pro and keep your settings and apps?

when ever i try i don't get the full menu which gives you dont get the option to keep files and apps.

i only get keep files and nothing.

I have upgraded w8.0 pro WMC and w8.0 pro Preview (via iso hack) and i get the option.

It seems that w8.1 pro RTM will only upgrade the WMC version.

I am using

MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.RTM.X64.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT

Ra1n thanks for all your work.

Have also tried to modify the CVERSION.INI file from 9458 to 9431 and 8508 (preview) to no avail.

have tried to upgrade to preview version but i still dont get the option to keep FILES AND APPS.

Have tried 2 pcs and 1 laptop. All the ones that fail are W7 upgrades to w8.0.

Seems to me that w8 RTM cant update a w7 updated to w8.0 pro. these were all activated with a bought w8 upgrade DVD.

I am thinking that if i upgrade to WMC and activate it will then do the w8.1 upgrade?

Cheers

Edited by Kaos

:wtf: is it possible to do an upgrade to W8.1 Pro from W8.0 pro and keep your settings and apps?

when ever i try i don't get the full menu which gives u the option to keep files and apps.

I have upgraded w8.0 pro WMC and w8.0 pro Preview (via iso hack) and i get the option.

I am using

Yes it is possible to upgrade with the ISO you are using, and keep all files ,settings and apps, but i found that Win8 Pro "upgrade" editions only give keep files or nothing options, if that is not the case for you i don't know, as there are some strange things happening with Win8.1 :lol: (what works for everybody else fails for a few ).

when ever i try i don't get the full menu which gives u the option to keep files and apps.

I am using

Yes it is possible to upgrade with the ISO you are using, and keep all files ,settings and apps, but i found that Win8 Pro "upgrade" editions only give keep files or nothing options, if that is not the case for you i don't know, as there are some strange things happening with Win8.1 :lol: (what works for everybody else fails for a few ).

I got all the options available:

vzLDRNc.png

I got all the options available:

@anakin,

Is that upgrading from a Win8 pro "upgrade" edition (ie the Win8 pro upgrade disc) or standard Win8 pro though ?

If it is a standard Win8 Pro we know this already, we are trying to establish if using the Win8 "upgrade" edition only gives option of keep files or nothing.

Edited by tezza

@anakin,

Is that upgrading from a Win8 pro "upgrade" edition (ie the Win8 pro upgrade disc) or standard Win8 pro though ?

If it is a standard Win8 Pro we know this already, we are trying to establish if using the Win8 "upgrade" edition only gives option of keep files or nothing.

OK I get it. That capture is from the installation disk for Windows 8.1.

But , If have tow buck up ( like me :D )

1- one activation for W. 8 only .

2 - Second for W. 8 WMC .

Can I upgrade to W.8.1 WMC ?

First do like your post

then enter WMC key to add WMC , after restart copy folder from Second buck up ( WMC) > I think it will success and activate W.8.1 WMC

What is your opinion Sir !!!!!

First do like your post

then enter WMC key to add WMC , after restart copy folder from Second buck up ( WMC) > I think it will success and activate W.8.1 WMC

I suggest to go step by step again If you were on Windows 8 Pro you will upgrade Windows 8.1 but as you install WMC already there is no save way also clean installation suggested for some reason,

Once again Install Pro activated then add features WMC and activate with retail keys.

Even it may be quicker but don't try to jump from window if you have your own door. B)

First do like your post

I suggest to go step by step again If you were on Windows 8 Pro you will upgrade Windows 8.1 but as you install WMC already there is no save way also clean installation suggested for some reason,

Once again Install Pro activated then add features WMC and activate with retail keys.

Even it may be quicker but don't try to jump from window if you have your own door. B)

OK , sir , let me say why I suggest this to you ,

first of all I do not try W.8.1 yet cause I have not WVM to try+ I have office 2013 activated + W8 + WMC and do not want to loss it SO , If you try and success , you will help me and all of us.

I tried this method 4 times after clean installation of W. 8 ( I have tow back up I mention it before ) , the last result W.8 pro + office 2013 + WMC.

All I do is :- ( no internet connection during all steps)

1 - Clean install W8 pro + install office 2013 < active it with my back up ( copy and past) So I have W8 pro activated + office 2013

2 - I have my WMC key that activated it before , apply it to upgrade to W8 pro + WMC.

3 - After PC restart apply my second buck up ( copy and past) < restart < DONE

IF those buck up applied on W8.1 , work or not , HELP PLZ Before Format my PC

first of all I do not try W.8.1 yet cause I have not WVM to try+ I have office 2013 activated + W8 + WMC and do not want to loss it SO , If you try and success , you will help me and all of us.

I tried this method 4 times after clean installation of W. 8 ( I have tow back up I mention it before ) , the last result W.8 pro + office 2013 + WMC.

1 - Clean install W8 pro + install office 2013 < active it with my back up ( copy and past) So I have W8 pro activated + office 2013

2 - I have my WMC key that activated it before , apply it to upgrade to W8 pro + WMC.

If you did not include WMC you could only upgrade function during installation but as you have WMC Edition too you have one save option clean installation. Those backup from Windows 8 will not work on Windows 8.1 RTM cause you have already WMC Edition

If i was you backup all necessary files and folders somewhere then do clean installation and all activation keys are still working i personally help to send you confirmation ID or you can easily do for yourself.

Same way as you did on Windows 8

1. Install Windows 8.1 RTM Pro Edition be carefull you need to use installation keys here those activation keys on Pastebin link does not install look at the topic on the top you see installation keys only then chose Pro Edition installation key

2. After install you no longer need installation key you need activation keys now see pastebin there are over 20 activation keys all currently working

3. After activation keys no longer disable internet connection but you select phone activation with slui 4 all step by step details on the Windows 8.1 topics.

4. After activate Pro Edition if you wish to upgrade WMC same you do here again instruction on the same topic..

Edited by november_ra1n

If you did not include WMC you could only upgrade function during installation but as you have WMC Edition too you have one save option clean installation. Those backup from Windows 8 will not work on Windows 8.1 RTM cause you have already WMC Edition

If i was you backup all necessary files and folders somewhere then do clean installation and all activation keys are still working i personally help to send you confirmation ID or you can easily do for yourself.

Same way as you did on Windows 8

1. Install Windows 8.1 RTM Pro Edition be carefull you need to use installation keys here those activation keys on Pastebin link does not install look at the topic on the top you see installation keys only then chose Pro Edition installation key

2. After install you no longer need installation key you need activation keys now see pastebin there are over 20 activation keys all currently working

3. After activation keys no longer disable internet connection but you select phone activation with slui 4 all step by step details on the Windows 8.1 topics.

4. After activate Pro Edition if you wish to upgrade WMC same you do here again instruction on the same topic..

I see and I can do all Mr. professional

but I will loss office 2013 activation :think:

I see and I can do all Mr. professional

but I will loss office 2013 activation :think:

I would not be worry about we have working keys almost all M$ Product keep updating them daily.