Bitdefender, F-Secure, Kaspersky Rated Top Anti-Virus Suites

Maxhedroom

New report from AV-TEST rates most major AV suites are at the top of the charts with Windows Defender trailing.

"After three complex tests and six months of work between January and June 2013, the laboratory experts at AV-TEST have now achieved their objective: The first part of the company’s endurance test is complete and many of the test candidates performed extremely well; many, but not all."

Full story here.

• Replies 32
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calguyhunk

• Holmes

• MidnightDistortions

• Lyon275

insanedown58
  1. Bitdefender
  2. Kaspersky
  3. Norton

Thats final results acording to them! :)

1. Meh.

2. Meh.

3. Dafuq is it doing there!? :troll:

Bitdefender keeps emerging as the No. 1 engine in almost every other test result I see, but somehow doesn't seem to get the sake amount of traction as Kaspersky or Norton. Dunno how that works :dunno:

BTW, I didn't even mention McAfee 'cuz I'm not in the mood for bad jokes :angry: :p

Bitdefender keeps emerging as the No. 1 engine in almost every other test result I see, but somehow doesn't seem to get the sake amount of traction as Kaspersky or Norton. Dunno how that works :dunno:

BTW, I didn't even mention McAfee 'cuz I'm not in the mood for bad jokes :angry: :P

Well maybe because they have a bug in their software since Bitdefender 2010 which they still didn't manage to fix :) They ignore/ban people posting about the bug in their forums or social network sites. Many users don't even notice that bug, they just think their connection is slow, but actually bitdefenders firewall is failing by not properly terminating connections, so it simply downloads files, flash videos(youtube) in background even after closing your browser.

BTW, I didn't even mention McAfee 'cuz I'm not in the mood for bad jokes :angry: :P

Well maybe because they have a bug in their software since Bitdefender 2010 which they still didn't manage to fix :) They ignore/ban people posting about the bug in their forums or social network sites. Many users don't even notice that bug, they just think their connection is slow, but actually bitdefenders firewall is failing by not properly terminating connections, so it simply downloads files, flash videos(youtube) in background even after closing your browser.

So BBs, you say that BitDefender makes slow connections buddy? Is it better kaspersky or norton in this case?

Edited by denzel

As most companies/corporations around the world they only care about making money ..But about Bd old bug, they probably got rid of it . "I am not expert or even advanced in computer" But I think the old bug was fixed in the last version v17 (according to few tests by me :) )

So BBs, you say that BitDefender makes slow connections buddy? Is it better kaspersky or norton in this case?

You can test both and decide which you like better, both protect well.

As most companies/corporations around the world they only care about making money ..But about Bd old bug, they probably got rid of it . "I am not expert or even advanced in computer" But I think the old bug was fixed in the last version v17 (according to few tests by me :) )

Nah, the funny part is that it just doesn't happen that often like in the old version ;) Instead of fixing it, they just changed something so it doesn't happen that often. Trust me, lots of people allready reported it. I also tested it...

See: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=46323

Edited by BBs

Nah, the funny part is that it just doesn't happen that often like in the old version ;) Instead of fixing it, they just changed something so it doesn't happen that often. Trust me, lots of people allready reported it. I also tested it...

See: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=46323

Maybe that's right ..

but the most important thing is huge Bitdefender improvements in protection and look :D

... bitdefenders firewall is failing by not properly terminating connections, so it simply downloads files, flash videos(youtube) in background even after closing your browser.

Windows firewall FTW!!! :showoff: :lol: :P

Paid tests ;)

Also it has annoying ages old bug that BBs mentioned ...

There's plenty of people complaining about it but they just ignore it :dunno:

They don't listen to anyone , and they have terrible tech support .

Maybe that's right ..
but the most important thing is huge Bitdefender improvements in protection and look :D
Nice user interface ? :huh:
That doesn't matter if AV is full of bugs and if it's constantly and massively using your bandwidth . ;)
I would rather have :shit: UI than buggy piece of :shit: AV :)
Edited by Lyon275

MidnightDistortions

Bitdefender is terrible. I had the paid version but kept crashing on me. Even with going to the free version it was awful. Kaspersky seems pretty good although even with a friend's computer running Kaspersky there was still malware on his computer. Avast seems to run really well for me, although the updates can be annoying sometimes. Had fixed the volume level but for some reason the high volume came back months later lol.

I'll stick with Kaspersky 2013 until they for some reason decide to no longer support it. Kaspersky 2014 sucks since they took all of the advance options away.

I dunno how so many people end up with so much malware on their PCs! In all these years I've been using PCs (Since '94; internet since '99) I've only once had malware and that too while using a $h!tty paid AV (Quick Heal) issued by my school! :angry:

Since then and before that, I've only had free AVs - apart from my first PC for which I'd bought Norton 'cuz I didn't know any better LOL - but never ever have I got anything remotely malicious :D

Edited by calguyhunk

Kaspersky seems pretty good although even with a friend's computer running Kaspersky there was still malware on his computer.

It is not right to make virus as host and install KIS to judge;

Install KIS on clear PC

Then insert the virus to see the result!

eset av all the way

bitdefender too heavy, kaspersky causing problems with my univ vpn

norton too many false positives...

You guys do realize mcafee uses the avast antivirus engine since 1997 and a couple other antiviruses do to (F-secure and G DATA). I used to use eset but it's antirootkit protection is crap (supposedly gots anti-stealth technology which is basically antirootkit but it only stops rootkits that are currently active they cant be inert). That test shows avg free and avg internet security but avast only shows free version doesnt test avast pro internet security or premier. How is that fair to avast free compared to other antiviruses free and paid version sorry thats incomparable. I do not use eset because it's anti-rootkit lack in efficiency. If avast closed its door's tomorrow and I needed to choose a different antivirus I choose Kasparsky I use kasparsky tdsskiller I dont know how many times kasparsky kick's ass in the anti-rootkit category but not as much as radix does radix is what disinfected my HORRIBLE rootkit on my xp drive. I did have to run it multiple times but after four times I think the rootkit got beat. I dont know whats better when it goes to antirootkit but the best one I know right now is radix next in line is gmer. The author gmerek works for avast now and there SP module kicks ass now (it uses rootkit techniques and so if you use avast and you run a antirootkit tool and you get red items from avast you can tell the file names start with asw and there false positives) to and there engine now gots gmer technology (same antirootkit that gmer uses obviously)..

Edited by Holmes

I dunno how so many people end up with so much malware on their PCs! In all these years I've been using PCs (Since '94; internet since '99) I've only once had malware and that too while using a $h!tty paid AV (Quick Heal) issued by my school! :angry:

Since then and before that, I've only had free AVs - apart from my first PC for which I'd bought Norton 'cuz I didn't know any better LOL - but never ever have I got anything remotely malicious :D

ye me to years ago i caught soft soldier some stinkin ransomware.but never since i learned my lesson.it was some site tellin me i needed a codec to play the video and i fell for it.and i beleive i was using avast at the time and it didnt pick it up.and now for a long time no av and im fine with just mbam pro,winpatrol,zemana,sandboxie and sd when i need to test some shit.the moral of the story most of it is common sense and obviously some knowledge :) oh and by the way no disrespect to avast i no now its a great antivirus.its just when i was using it it was still that ugly little grey box.with those horrible sounds.im out peace :P

MidnightDistortions

Kaspersky seems pretty good although even with a friend's computer running Kaspersky there was still malware on his computer.

It is not right to make virus as host and install KIS to judge;

Install KIS on clear PC

Then insert the virus to see the result!

You are right, it is possible that my fried installed it after he had viruses when he should have started from a clean slate.

MidnightDistortions

ye me to years ago i caught soft soldier some stinkin ransomware.but never since i learned my lesson.it was some site tellin me i needed a codec to play the video and i fell for it.and i beleive i was using avast at the time and it didnt pick it up.and now for a long time no av and im fine with just mbam pro,winpatrol,zemana,sandboxie and sd when i need to test some shit.the moral of the story most of it is common sense and obviously some knowledge :) oh and by the way no disrespect to avast i no now its a great antivirus.its just when i was using it it was still that ugly little grey box.with those horrible sounds.im out peace :P

I too keep finding infected machines! I run regular scans on mine and never find anything. The main reasons i can gather why infected machines run rampant. The biggest reason i could guess is they either at one point didn't have a virus scanner or they never bothered to update it (or let the subscription expire). Another reason is the antivirus scanner isn't a good one, either one that doesn't have internet protection, doesn't detect viruses well or the system itself is not stable (due from crashes, freezing, ie; lack of hardware system requirements) and could cause some viruses to slip through while the AV is not working correctly.

Also clicking on random websites, downloading programs and even ignoring your AV's warnings. Usually if a site with malware i won't visit it even if it's a trusted website (it has happened before). Malware does seem to be tricky as even from google searches i had my AV block pop up. Still, i come back after a scan in safe mode that there are no viruses or malware. So either the popups are a false positive or most likely, i assume the malware is being blocked by my AV. I'd be more worried if it never pops up in the first place as pop ups indicate that it is indeed protecting my system from evil codes. But i think a huge reason why so many machines end up infected are just from users that are not entirely aware how they can properly protect their system and to avoid sketchy sites. I trust tomshardware for security tips and why i went with Avast (besides AVG giving me false positives on some software).

You guys do realize bitdefender uses avast engine and mcafee since 1997 and a couple other antiviruses do to (F-secure and G DATA).

It`s the first time that I hear such a stupid claim ...

BitDefender is one company that uses it`s own anti-malware engine , like Kaspersky , ESET and Avast does .

There are also a lot of companies that use rebranded engine from other vendors (Raxco , Auslogics ...) and others that use one or more engines from other vendors plus one or more engines developed in the house (F-Secure , GData , Qihoo , Baidu ...)

Edited by AlienForce1

oh and by the way no disrespect to avast i no now its a great antivirus.its just when i was using it it was still that ugly little grey box.with those horrible sounds.im out peace :P

Ugly little grey box ? haha :lol:

It looked like Media Player to me :rofl:

receiver-avast1.jpg

Ohh and sounds :O

Sirene and then "CAUTION A VIRUS HAS BEEN DETECTED !" Creepy stuff :D

Edited by Lyon275