• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emerglines

• smallhagrid

• DKT27

• MidnightDistortions

Very good points, and I must say:

Yeah that seems to be the direction that MS is going. It seems like a warzone will happen once MS stops supporting XP but you know Microsoft is trying to really push W8's new UI. I wonder if they had plans to do that even before W7 was released or they clearly were trying to pull something new in hopes that users will move off XP but it doesn't seem like it's working. With XP users they might have not have seen the need to get W7. After all it's pretty much the same basic thing and then they tried with Windows 8. I do plan on keeping a couple of XP machines running on the internet for amusement to see what would really happen. While i do enjoy W7 better, i don't really have many reasons to go back to XP but i do understand users frustration for having to be forced to upgrade. It might even happen to me with W7 so i'd like to have others to have my back in keeping W7 if it becomes necessary. I am learning Linux but again it's a very slow process and i hardly even really use it since W7 still works. Could be the reason some are avoiding upgrading from XP but regardless it looks to me like there is a market for XP and if users hold their ground then e might see the first OS in history to be supported by fellow users, similar to what Linux already does. If developers or hackers can't fix XP so it stays secure then yeah i can see the demise of XP but otherwise if it can be done then why not? If XP works for people then it should still be maintainable.

Remember when it was just farms and people just living day to day rather than being consumed with making sales? Yeah little by little nice, laidback societies did exist while the labor might have been tough at least you didn't have a million deadlines to finish. Well, since that has changed MS is attempting to do the same, forcing people to believe that we need a new OS, we need to upgrade and stay current with the rest of the world. Meanwhile the start screen is making me twitch lol. Anyway MS needs a better solution than to force users onto new OS's they are not liking. If they managed to change the UI to make it kinda silly and childish and manage to get at least 5% of the user share that i guess could either be a good sign or a bad one, but MS certainly cant' get users off of XP and i am pretty sure many XP users are not even worried about it. Oh sure some are but i think some of these users are totally oblivious that their OS is about to end support.

I always wonder how it is possible that so many folks are fooled into believing that 'mikr0$0ft' & 'support' are concepts that can even make any sense when used together...?!

20+ years ago when they outright stole DOS (and many other coder's works and lives...) they ONLY did stuff to increase their profits and wealth - that has not changed. Not even a little. They are NOT the PC user's friends at all.

Frankly - if the Redmond goons weren't so bloodthirsty about their thievery I'd admire them as being the very 1st kings of warez.

BUT=> real warez folks are all about sharing and reverse engineering because they enjoy it and NOT about hurting others carelessly (which mikr0$0ft has truly excelled at for decades).

And to the fanboys among us here, I suggest that before you cry foul - learn the history behind the 'heroes' of your favourite OS - and be most attentive to the outstanding number of small companies with promising, smart products that were heedlessly slaughtered when they tried to litigate against mikr0$0ft for outright stealing their code.

Gates & co. have NEVER been innovators.

Godfather Gates was the world's most brilliant marketer, the inventor of the EULA, and always made sure his company had a throng of lawyers so huge that they could bury anyone with ease.

And that is EXACTLY what has brought us where we are today.

I suggest a question for all and sundry:

After over 20 years of supposed 'growth' for PCs, why are we all NOT sitting at our desks using fully speech-interactive computers ?!?

(Could it be that when 'innovation' is ruled with an iron fist to protect profits that stagnation is the main result ???)

Edited by smallhagrid

certain features have been removed from windows 8 so it's safer and faster it's good for tablet n other touch screen devices but as a desktop version it is not appropiate for my use...

Windows 7 is cocaine but I still miss XP

I suggest microsoft should make Windows Xp an open source OS , then Community member's will work for it's Updates...may be Windows + Linux = Wibuntu :wub:

certain features have been removed from windows 8 so it's safer and faster it's good for tablet n other touch screen devices but as a desktop version it is not appropiate for my use...

Windows 7 is cocaine but I still miss XP

I suggest microsoft should make Windows Xp an open source OS , then Community member's will work for it's Updates...may be Windows + Linux = Wibuntu :wub:

I like this one, but still just a dream :)

ZORIN LINUX FOR ME :rolleyes:

AND NEXT - THE HOLLOW/DECK :lol:

ZORIN LINUX FOR ME :rolleyes:

AND NEXT - THE HOLLOW/DECK :lol:

Any chance you could increase font size so that people from the back can see?

Oh, and next time if you can make every letter with different color that would be wonderful!

Edited by ande

• Administrator

@smallhagrid: I always wonder what's your views on Apple.

After over 20 years of supposed 'growth' for PCs, why are we all NOT sitting at our desks using fully speech-interactive computers ?!?

Actually, voice functionality is there from a long time in Windows, probably introduced along with Vista or even XP. However, it requires training and calibration, and I don't know how effective it is.

Something similar too exists on phones.

Actually, voice functionality is there from a long time in Windows, probably introduced along with Vista or even XP. However, it requires training and calibration, and I don't know how effective it is.

Voice functionality is a pain in the ass, worst than ever you think.

Edited by emerglines

• Administrator

I remember HX1 (member here) use to talk about it. He probably once mentioned that he used to do some things with it, and probably even wrote things with voice.

Ready ?? OK:

What I meant was no more mice, keyboards, etc=> ONLY voice.

If you try some of the voice apps (even after years of development) you will piss yourself laughing at the results - they are still a joke. (Dictation apps make good comedy - try one and see for yourself !!!)

As to Apple - I was once a great admirer of it even though the h/w was truthfully low-end and overpriced - it made computing easy for those afraid of tech....BUT:

When mikr0$0ft drove (stupid) Apple down so far that the generous 'gift' of $180 mill was taken publicly in a huge TV announcement which must have humiliated The Steve maximally - it was all over for Apple as an independent company forever.

Do you remember what came immediately after that ??

The pastel coloured, absolute piece of junk iMacs - which were based upon WHAT CPUs ???

Intel.

Which is where the 'i' came in.

Real Apple computers were ALL Motorola CPU based - and that time is now over and done for good.

Now they are just re-badged Intel-based PCs with a bastardized OS that will run on alot of regular PC h/w (Hackintosh) and the iApple h/w will also run windows now pretty easily.

So what's the point of spending extra $$$ for a re-badged PC ??

You could just get a cheap PC and a copy of that OS and make a Hackintosh PC for 1/2 or less of the cost.

I am sad for the powers of monopoly and what this has done that most folks don't even know about...

Edited by smallhagrid

I remember HX1 (member here) use to talk about it. He probably once mentioned that he used to do some things with it, and probably even wrote things with voice.

This is how voice functionality meant to be not what microsoft did :

• Administrator

@smallhagrid: I see.

As for keyboard / mice, all I can say is that voice doesn't give precision, something that mice and keyboards give to us gamers, or even some power users.

What I'm actually asking you is that you have a lot to say about Microsoft, which is the same I'm asking about Apple, as a company. But yeah, I get your point.

@smallhagrid: I see.

As for keyboard / mice, all I can say is that voice doesn't give precision, something that mice and keyboards give to us gamers, or even some power users.

What I'm actually asking you is that you have a lot to say about Microsoft, which is the same I'm asking about Apple, as a company. But yeah, I get your point.

Voice ! can be a good tool for people who do some coding stuff, cause some time it hurts in hands and you need an alternative for typing.

Apple:

Small, very closed & proprietary s/w & h/w - great ideas, big on design & appearance - but too closed to be forward looking.

Not criminal enough to really make it big in a world where theft is an acceptable corporate business strategy.

Mikr0$0ft:

Started small - took whatever it damn well pleased from any/everyone - had no scruples about anything, ever.

Screams & cries about 'piracy' while being the most successful pirate company ever.

Godfather Gates wanted Apple tech from the start but was thwarted by the Steves.

Later - he won, they lost...everything, really.

Now Apple only exists to be a pretend competitor for m$ while making loads of phones, ipads, ipods, i-whatevers.

Is this now a better reply for your query DKT27 ??

Very cool demo of that ability in that situation:

Not the same as what I meant, but still very cool.

What I referred to is how we should be using WAY more powerful computers than we are - totally.

The 'progress' made in the last 20+ years is really quite silly compared to what it might have been if not restricted in so many ways.

I had a housemate over 20 years ago who was a successful programmer in the days of DOS.

I suggested to him - why not make software so that any exec can just talk to his desk to get things done - a voice controlled PC for completely non-tech folks.

We discussed this in the days when the 386 was NEW.

He said he could do it - but he didn't want to - as simple as that.

Was it his big ego making false, inflated claims ?? Maybe. We'll never know now.

I know I ask odd questions - I think things could be very different & better than they've turned out too.

Very cool demo of that ability in that situation:

Not the same as what I meant, but still very cool.

What I referred to is how we should be using WAY more powerful computers than we are - totally.

The 'progress' made in the last 20+ years is really quite silly compared to what it might have been if not restricted in so many ways.

I had a housemate over 20 years ago who was a successful programmer in the days of DOS.

I suggested to him - why not make software so that any exec can just talk to his desk to get things done - a voice controlled PC for completely non-tech folks.

We discussed this in the days when the 386 was NEW.

He said he could do it - but he didn't want to - as simple as that.

Was it his big ego making false, inflated claims ?? Maybe. We'll never know now.

I know I ask odd questions - I think things could be very different & better than they've turned out too.

If they give us the source code it will be easy to develop more new and innovative things, instead of been silly as you had said, they just want money so we would be staying at the start point more years coming!