Windows 8 is 21 times safer than XP, and 6 times safer than Windows 7

Mr Orus

I remember the UK launch of Windows XP very well. It took place in London a few weeks after the attacks of September 11 and security around the event was tight. Steve Ballmer was there to discuss the new OS in his own inimitable style, and afterwards we were given a copy of XP to try out for ourselves. That was 12 years ago, and obviously a lot has changed in the tech world since then, yet plenty of businesses are still running XP -- a major source of frustration to Microsoft.

In a blog post yesterday, Tim Rains, Director of Product Management in Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing group, discussed the risks of running Windows XP after support ends in April 2014. In a second post elsewhere Chris Hallum, Senior Product Manager at Microsoft, talked about how the evolution of security threats impacts businesses.

http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/MS-WINXP.jpg

Two separate and equally interesting posts, but with a common aim -- to get businesses away from XP and onto a newer operating system. Microsoft would like this to be Windows 8 or 8.1, but Windows 7 would at least be a step in the right direction.

Chris Hallum's post also came illustrated with an infographic showing the evolution of security threats and how things have changed since XP first launched back in 2001. I'm a sucker for these kinds of things, and it's packed with the sort of numbers you want to see. In 2001, for example, there were 50 million internet users, today there are an estimated 2.7 billion. There were 31 billion emails sent in 2001, today it's 297 billion. When XP launched we had fax machines, chat rooms and in-person meetings, now we have social media, the cloud, web apps and video conferencing.

The infographic also looks at how the threat landscape has changed in 12 years, and then finishes with an interesting statement. According to Microsoft, Windows XP is currently 21 times more likely to be infected by malware than Windows 8, while Windows 7 is six times more likely to be infected than the new OS.

Microsoft doesn't go into any details about the source of those figures or how they were derived -- it's not a new claim though, Chris Hallum has said the exact same thing in interviews previously -- and while I have no reason to doubt the statement, Microsoft is clearly comparing unprotected machines here (i.e. Windows XP with no form of third-party anti-virus installed).

I wonder whether market share might not also play a role. After all, according to NetMarketShare, as recently as last month Windows XP had a 37.19 percent share of the desktop operating system market, and Windows 7 a slightly larger 44.49 percentage. Windows 8 accounted for just 5.4 percent.

Original Article: Source

• Replies 41
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emerglines

• smallhagrid

• DKT27

• MidnightDistortions

MidnightDistortions

Any OS that is the most mainstream will be targeted for malware or other infections. While MS may have better security on the latest OS releases (like Windows8 ) it's best to have your system backed up and always have a good A/V software. Back when i first got Windows 7, i was told that it was the most secure Windows system. That's because it's new and it currently is not a target for this kind of thing. I do agree that Windows 7 is susceptible to virus infections because i now have have my A/V block sites (even from just doing a google search) several times a week now from attempted malware attacks. As always i suggest that if people continue using whatever OS that they get reputable software to scan or block viruses like Avast, Bitdefender, Malwarebytes. It used to be that you would have to click on a link to get an infection. Now it can take what seems to be a simple search to get an infection. So whatever OS you are using, it's best to have a good, effective virus/malware scanner. I scan my system monthly and i am free of any infections, both on my XP and Windows 7 machines. I haven't run into a problem, but even if i do i'll simply re install. I don't trust even dealing with just removing malware or other infections, i secure erase my hard drive.. reformat it and then i know i am at 100% again :).

Edited by MidnightDistortions

and Windows 8 is 21 times piece of :shit: than Windows 7 :lmao:

Edited by sanjoa

Im completly *rickrolled*

:unsure:

Some people are "never gonna give you up" on XP.

Ok I want to say I USE to like Windows 7 I always hated XP I rather use linux or Mac OSX any day even tho I hate OSX lol and since I just re-installed a fresh install of latest leaked 8.1 with start button and many other features but only 11.7Gigs of space used in system files with all current updates and drivers. versus 7 at about 19Gigs or more. also 7 requires 1.5times your ram for virtual memory while latest 8.1 needs 52% for virtual ram meaning no more giant wasted hard drive space also 8.1 15 to 20 second boot time on a traditional hard drive versus almost minute 15 on 7 no need to install antivirus on 8.1 already built in however there are few IE security features needed to be turned up in Internet options but i still rather use chrome with adblock and java popup block I don't see a need for 3rd party A/V anymore. i use it exclusively for my gaming rig and have noticed 15fps on average more then laggy 7. and at any given time I'm usually only using 13 to 15% of my memory 8Gigs while gaming with BF3 its at 26 to 28% depending on map in 8.1 versus 34 to 38% in 7.

This is still beta or preview version well newer then preview but still not final release set for october. I still can't stand the Metro GUI but 8.1 bypasses it. It would be good for older people its rather simple and bold and easier to navigate then original 8. Right clicking on start button in 8.1 gives you so many options its ridiculously loveable not to mention you can now pin control panel to taskbar as well as shortcuts to subs in control panel for even faster use i will never go back but I will never use just windows 8 cuz it also sucks with memory leaks and lack of options of 8.1. Finally MS is listening to the billions of users it has also 8.1 is free upgrade to all those 8 systems out there, another bonus for those that were smart enough to buy 8 when it was only $15 to $40 hehe

also with the October release comes new hardware support DX11.2 from amd the 9970 GPU and BF4 setting the standard in advanced graphics and gaming all a coincidence i think not also making it plausible to forget about considering PS4 lol.

and Windows 8 is 100 times ugly tan Windows 7 or Vista, and 50 times ugly tan XP.

Edited by SPECTRUM

Why do we compare an operating system which is 12 years old from a new one which is only months away? During 12 years XP has been attacked through millions of mallware and 8 is still on its early ages, it's like comparing a 10 year old car when everyone knows its main faults to a brand new which has never visited a garage and people say this new model is more reliable, and xp code has been revised for more than a decade how it can still have security flaws? This is just a bad marketing move in a way to entice people to upgrade to their new crap operating system

98 :)->Me :shit:->XP :) ->Vista :shit:->7 :) ->8 :shit:

1) you forgot Win2K

2) you pattern has truth dating way before where you picked up the time line. One could easily push the same logic backwards through the DOS era as well. My rule-of-thumb is every even numbered Microsoft O/S is junk.

MidnightDistortions

Why do we compare an operating system which is 12 years old from a new one which is only months away? During 12 years XP has been attacked through millions of mallware and 8 is still on its early ages, it's like comparing a 10 year old car when everyone knows its main faults to a brand new which has never visited a garage and people say this new model is more reliable, and xp code has been revised for more than a decade how it can still have security flaws? This is just a bad marketing move in a way to entice people to upgrade to their new crap operating system

I know what you mean, i might have had a few bad updates (including the most recent one) and while i do enjoy Windows 7 more, it seems that Microsoft abandons each older OS for a new one rather then working on just the one so there are fewer headaches. Why would i need a new OS every 3-4 years anyway? Xp still works great for me (even tho some of the features in 7 are better or improved) but i said it in another topic on here, if people want to keep using XP let them. I don't care if someone is having trouble with their Windows 95 not working. I don't care that they are using it, all i really do is reinstall it or do basic maintenance that the user doesn't seem capable of doing. They can't use the internet with it but they don't care if it prints out the novels they are writing on it or whatever. XP gets hit with malware attacks? Well Windows 7 is the same way. Windows 8 will have to deal with that same problem as more users are on that. It's like buying a new car because your old one doesn't have a feature the new one has. If it works and if it's maintainable then its fine. It's FUD with XP users. Microsoft is getting their millions with Windows 8 anyway. What, they want another million? lol ok =P

98 :)->Me :shit:->XP :) ->Vista :shit:->7 :) ->8 :shit:

+ 1

and Windows 8 is 100 times ugly tan Windows 7 or Vista, and 50 times ugly tan XP.

Personally I think 7 looks 1000 times better than XP. XP looks like some kiddie Fisher Price stuff, it is real immature looking (better than dull suicide inducing Windows Classic though).

well, if you use XP Silver Theme (the one you can select in the options)...

wxpsilver.png

or Zune Theme (go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=75078)...

zune-theme.jpg

both looks really nice, and better tan Windows 8.

Edited by SPECTRUM

This is a screenshot of my XP Machine, with custom theme, widgets, a way more appealing than 8, and more importantly, YES it has the Start Button and the Start Menu

untitled.jpg

Edited by viggen66

I think it's irresponsible to stop supporting WinXP, I realize it's quite old, however it's still in second place compared to Win7 and to Win8 it's way ahead. Stopping the support is not necessarily going to boost Win8's lackluster sales. So we'll have a few million XP PC's running around with no update protection infecting General Business, Health Care, Banks and the rest of us! Not a good idea. There's a lot of bright guys up here on nsane so let's see how many reasons you can come up with as to why they should keep supporting WinXP. This is just for some serious amusement of course. ;)

so ms quits support.. third party progs will provide as long as there is demand on the Xp platform be it entertainment,security..whatever,you know your junk is old when folks running linux say update your hardware man!

MidnightDistortions

I think it's irresponsible to stop supporting WinXP, I realize it's quite old, however it's still in second place compared to Win7 and to Win8 it's way ahead. Stopping the support is not necessarily going to boost Win8's lackluster sales. So we'll have a few million XP PC's running around with no update protection infecting General Business, Health Care, Banks and the rest of us! Not a good idea. There's a lot of bright guys up here on nsane so let's see how many reasons you can come up with as to why they should keep supporting WinXP. This is just for some serious amusement of course. ;)

Yeah that seems to be the direction that MS is going. It seems like a warzone will happen once MS stops supporting XP but you know Microsoft is trying to really push W8's new UI. I wonder if they had plans to do that even before W7 was released or they clearly were trying to pull something new in hopes that users will move off XP but it doesn't seem like it's working. With XP users they might have not have seen the need to get W7. After all it's pretty much the same basic thing and then they tried with Windows 8. I do plan on keeping a couple of XP machines running on the internet for amusement to see what would really happen. While i do enjoy W7 better, i don't really have many reasons to go back to XP but i do understand users frustration for having to be forced to upgrade. It might even happen to me with W7 so i'd like to have others to have my back in keeping W7 if it becomes necessary. I am learning Linux but again it's a very slow process and i hardly even really use it since W7 still works. Could be the reason some are avoiding upgrading from XP but regardless it looks to me like there is a market for XP and if users hold their ground then e might see the first OS in history to be supported by fellow users, similar to what Linux already does. If developers or hackers can't fix XP so it stays secure then yeah i can see the demise of XP but otherwise if it can be done then why not? If XP works for people then it should still be maintainable.

Remember when it was just farms and people just living day to day rather than being consumed with making sales? Yeah little by little nice, laidback societies did exist while the labor might have been tough at least you didn't have a million deadlines to finish. Well, since that has changed MS is attempting to do the same, forcing people to believe that we need a new OS, we need to upgrade and stay current with the rest of the world. Meanwhile the start screen is making me twitch lol. Anyway MS needs a better solution than to force users onto new OS's they are not liking. If they managed to change the UI to make it kinda silly and childish and manage to get at least 5% of the user share that i guess could either be a good sign or a bad one, but MS certainly cant' get users off of XP and i am pretty sure many XP users are not even worried about it. Oh sure some are but i think some of these users are totally oblivious that their OS is about to end support.