Microsoft KB2859537 Update Causes BSOD on Windows 7 and XP

SnakeMasteR

Microsoft KB2859537 Update Causes BSOD on Windows 7 and XP

bluescreenl5pzw.jpg

As we’ve reported to you this morning, one of the critical updates released by Microsoft on Patch Tuesday

causes more harm than good on some computers, so the company decided to pull the patch completely.

Now it appears that another update, this time KB2859537, is causing lots of problems on Windows 7

computers, with some users claiming that in most cases, installing the fix leads to lots of unexpected

BSODs.

“When I install KB2859537 on my Windows 7 X64 machine I get a BSOD during reboot either trying to

boot normally or trying to boot in safe mode. Had to restore the primary disk three times now to get

the PC back,” one user reported on Microsoft Community.

“Same here, can't start any program. Uninstall the update, restart and hide in Win Update. It's not

the first time!” another one confirmed.

Microsoft has already acknowledged the issue, but the company claims that it only heard of cases

when some users cannot launch certain games on Windows 7 computers.

“Some users may experience issues with certain games after they install security update 2859537.

In some cases, users may not successfully start and sign in to the games. Microsoft is researching

this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available,” it

noted.

Since no workaround is yet available, users affected by the buggy update have no other choice than

to uninstall the patch and keep their fingers crossed for a fix that’s expected to be released any day

from now.

To remove the update, you need to go to “Control Panel” and launch the “Programs and Features”

window. Click on “View installed updates” in the left sidebar and look for KB2859537. Once you find

the entry, simply right click it and hit the “Uninstall” option.

Update: according to our reader Bilbo, the same issue is also affecting Windows XP, If you're

experiencing similar problems, make sure you let us know by posting a comment in the box below.

Source

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MS13-063 (2859537)

A related kernel update to put on hold

According to an MS Security Research & Defense post, KB 2859537 also addresses the DEP/ASLR-bypass

exploit revealed at the Pwn2Own contest. But unlike the above IE fix, this patch is for Windows.

As I’ve often noted, I make it a rule to delay installing kernel updates for a few weeks — they’re known

to cause problems with security applications and other software. At the moment, I’m checking out reports of a

potential BSoD triggered by KB 2859537, as noted in a Microsoft Community thread.

Source

• Replies 16
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnakeMasteR

• speedy57

• Guinness

• STEEL

No problem here and at my dad's laptop.

By the way, nice shirt :P :naughty:

Why did i knew it whould get more attention than the article for which it is made for? :lol:

Well, it is a warning for people in first place, you can feel lucky that everything is fine on your side, others actually have to suffer from the opposite now.

Thanks, M$. :P

All fine here too, windows 7 64 bits French.

And...

lovely BSOD shirt. :rolleyes:

Edited by alaindc

Some irregularity spotted here too, but other than that, it's all fine !

Thank your very much for the info. :)

This kind of thing is why I never rush to install MS updates. I usually wait a week to 10 days after patch Tuesday. By then if there is a problem Ive heard about it and can avoid the offending update(s). g/l all.

Phew! Like the previous poster, I normally wait until the end of the month to do the Windows updates, for the same reason.

Unthinkingly, did the updates yesterday and all was fine. On Windows 7 Professional x64.

Updated my computers here, they have all the updates including this one from this past Tuesday and no problems here

BUT it wouldn't surprise me if this is happening mostly on older Windows 7 and XP machines rather than newer ones

Edited by LiLmEgZ

Whoopenstein

I hate to be an ass, but if the update worked for you - do we really need to put a comment? Say the update screws up one in 10,000 computers - we don't need to pick through 9,999 messages to find the important info - like what kind of computer/hardware, software (AV, firewall, etc..)

MasterFaster

Win7 x64 - the update was installed. While I didn't have problems in the last 3 days that the update was installed, though today I got BSOD at Windows loading.

I don't know if this BSOD is related to this update (I'll have to analyze the crash dump), but I decided to remove it.

MidnightDistortions

Should i remove this then? I didn't install it til the 16th but could it cause problems later even if it doesn't now?

Edit: Never mind, i just uninstalled it. Don't want to wake up one day with a BSOD.

Edited by MidnightDistortions