Please read the following announcement about thanks posts and their replacement; the like / thanks button.

Welcome to nsane.forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to nsane.forums, like most online communities you need to register to view parts of our community or to make contributions, but don't worry: this is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of nsane.forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Access special members only forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bitcoin miner "attached" to setup.exe

bitcoins miners

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 locoJoe

locoJoe

ViP Member

• ViP
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Mostly Illegal

• United States

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hello all. Ya ya I could google this and get an answer but wtf I'd rather talk to you guys about this. I dnlded CoD MW3 from usenet yesterday. Anyways the file setup.exe set off my AV plus was pretty large (i thought) so I sent it to Virus Total and it came back specifically as a bitcoin miner. Without this file tho I had no way to install the game so I looked closer and found that the .exe was really a sfx file. I extracted the contents and found the real Setup.exe along with the miner. I kind-of understand what a bitcoin miner does but aren't such "things" kind of useless? I meen it would have to connect to internet to "do its thing" and being that having a firewall is pretty much the norm what good does it do for someone to do something like this? Or am I not missing something here? Thanx

Edited by DKT27, 19 July 2013 - 12:47 AM.

-locoJoe

Spoiler

#2 BBs

BBs

• ViP
  • 741 posts

• Blank

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hello all. Ya ya I could google this and get an answer but wtf I'd rather talk to you guys about this. I dnlded CoD MW3 from usenet yesterday. Anyways the file setup.exe set off my AV plus was pretty large (i thought) so I sent it to Virus Total and it came back specifically as a bitcoin miner. Without this file tho I had no way to install the game so I looked closer and found that the .exe was really a sfx file. I extracted the contents and found the real Setup.exe along with the miner. I kind-of understand what a bitcoin miner does but aren't such "things" kind of useless? I meen it would have to connect to internet to "do its thing" and being that having a firewall is pretty much the norm what good does it do for someone to do something like this? Or am I not missing something here? Thanx

Why would such things be "kind of useless"? For you yes...

It is about making money with your computer, it won't be much but if he has enough "victims" then he could really earn some money. He simply pays no electricity :)
And yes that requiers internet connection.

And ps. do not run the setup, you downloaded some fake. It will probably just install the bitcoin miner on your computer...

Edited by BBs, 17 July 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#3 locoJoe

locoJoe

ViP Member

• ViP
  • 1,231 posts

• United States

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

I extracted the contents and found the real Setup.exe along with the miner.

And ps. do not run the setup, you downloaded some fake. It will probably just install the bitcoin miner on your computer...

The real setup worked fine. It was a custom setup done by Scene group Reloaded. It installed CoD MW3 perfectly. I did however install it first Sandboxed, after I knew everything was good I moved entire game folder from Sandbox and copied to my "games" HDD.

Off-topic: I wanted to say that I still use ur program WinLockr everyday. I love it. Been using it for a couple yrs now. Take care man.

-locoJoe

Spoiler

#4 DKT27

DKT27

ViP Member

• Moderators
  • 19,914 posts
  • Interests:Softwares,
    gaming and
    security.

• India

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

From what I can understand, Bitcoin miner makes your PC a bot, uses the power of your GPU and mines Bitcoins for the person who complied the miner with the setup.

NSANEDOWN-Portal_SC.png

See a thread or a post that needs moderator attention? Report it.

#5 vin3e

vin3e

• Veteran
  • 426 posts

• Blank

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:56 AM

Can't have been a very good scene if they bundle miners for you!

.,__,.........,__,....... ______
`·.,¸,.·*¯`·.,¸,.·*¯..|:::::: /\:_|/\
`·.,¸,.·*¯`·.,¸,.·*¯<|:::::: ( o wo)
-........--""-.......--"""u"'''''''''''u''''''''u

#6 DKT27

DKT27

ViP Member

• Moderators
  • 19,914 posts
  • Interests:Softwares,
    gaming and
    security.

• India

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:11 AM

I'll blame the packer / uploader, not the scene. The scene group would be banned from the scene if they do this.

NSANEDOWN-Portal_SC.png

See a thread or a post that needs moderator attention? Report it.

#7 locoJoe

locoJoe

ViP Member

• ViP
  • 1,231 posts

• United States

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

I'll blame the packer / uploader, not the scene. The scene group would be banned from the scene if they do this.

Yes, there are loads and loads of stuff in the newsgroups that are tried to be passed as a Scene release. Loads of people that try to "get you" this way. You really have to wade thru it to get to the good stuff. But make no mistake, its there, the good stuff. The uploader may not have even known that the ISO contained a bitminer, he is probably infected and doesnt even know it. He probably was just trying to share. Anyways DKT27 is correct, A scene group would never do this. Those guys live for their rep and would sooner cut off a leg than package a trojan with their release.

side note: the game runs great and may actually end up being my favorite of the whole series.

Edited by locoJoe, 18 July 2013 - 11:14 AM.

-locoJoe

Spoiler

#8 bundy-al

bundy-al

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Netherlands

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

May i ask you something locoJoe,

you said I extracted the contents and found the real Setup.exe along with the miner  from  CoD MW3,

What was the program you used to extract the real setup????

I wil extract a setup.exe but its not working.

Greetz

#9 locoJoe

locoJoe

ViP Member

• ViP
  • 1,231 posts

• United States

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

you said I extracted the contents and found the real Setup.exe along with the miner  from  CoD MW3,

Greetz

It was a self-extracting executable. I simply used wirrar to extract the contents. g/l

-locoJoe

Spoiler

#10 bundy-al

bundy-al

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Netherlands

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

Greetz

It was a self-extracting executable. I simply used wirrar to extract the contents. g/l

Ok thank you