Bitcoin miner "attached" to setup.exe

locoJoe

Hello all. Ya ya I could google this and get an answer but wtf I'd rather talk to you guys about this. I dnlded CoD MW3 from usenet yesterday. Anyways the file setup.exe set off my AV plus was pretty large (i thought) so I sent it to Virus Total and it came back specifically as a bitcoin miner. Without this file tho I had no way to install the game so I looked closer and found that the .exe was really a sfx file. I extracted the contents and found the real Setup.exe along with the miner. I kind-of understand what a bitcoin miner does but aren't such "things" kind of useless? I meen it would have to connect to internet to "do its thing" and being that having a firewall is pretty much the norm what good does it do for someone to do something like this? Or am I not missing something here? Thanx

May i ask you something locoJoe,

you said I extracted the contents and found the real Setup.exe along with the miner from CoD MW3,

What was the program you used to extract the real setup????

I wil extract a setup.exe but its not working.

Greetz

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bundy-al

• locoJoe

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all. Ya ya I could google this and get an answer but wtf I'd rather talk to you guys about this. I dnlded CoD MW3 from usenet yesterday. Anyways the file setup.exe set off my AV plus was pretty large (i thought) so I sent it to Virus Total and it came back specifically as a bitcoin miner. Without this file tho I had no way to install the game so I looked closer and found that the .exe was really a sfx file. I extracted the contents and found the real Setup.exe along with the miner. I kind-of understand what a bitcoin miner does but aren't such "things" kind of useless? I meen it would have to connect to internet to "do its thing" and being that having a firewall is pretty much the norm what good does it do for someone to do something like this? Or am I not missing something here? Thanx

you said I extracted the contents and found the real Setup.exe along with the miner from CoD MW3,

Greetz

It was a self-extracting executable. I simply used wirrar to extract the contents. g/l

Greetz

It was a self-extracting executable. I simply used wirrar to extract the contents. g/l

Ok thank you