NSA whistleblower reveals himself: 'I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things'

shamu726

The Guardian has published an interview with the NSA whistleblower, who revealed himself as a 29-year-old former technical assistant named Edward Snowden. In recent days, Snowden has leaked top secret NSA documents to The Guardian and the Washington Post detailing the NSA's PRISM and Boundless Informant programs, among others. The Washington Post has confirmed that Snowden was the source of their leaks.

Speaking from Hong Kong, Snowden described himself as a classic whistleblower, motivated by civic duty, a description he also applied to Bradley Manning. "I think the sense of outrage that has been expressed is justified," Snowden told The Guardian. "It has given me hope that, no matter what happens to me, the outcome will be positive for America. I do not expect to see home again, though that is what I want."

Snowden said he still did not think most Americans were aware of the full extent of the NSA's capabilities, describing techniques to plant bugs in machines and identify machines within networks. Contrary to recent claims by the Obama administration, Snowden said most data collection was not the result of individual targets, but that "the NSA specifically targets the communications of everyone. It ingests them by default." Snowden was also skeptical of the power of the courts to rein in the agency. "Whenever we had a debate in the office on how to handle crimes, they do not defend due process," Snowden said. "They defend decisive action."

Snowden's recent whistleblowing comes after ten years of government service. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in 2003, and after his military tour, went to work for the NSA, before moving on to the CIA and a host of other private contractors. His most recent job at private defense firm Booz Allen sent him to work alongside the NSA, giving him access to the recently leaked materials.

Snowden's family was apparently still unaware of his actions, but he felt compelled to make his identity public, since he felt he had done nothing wrong. When asked what he thought would happen to him now, Snowden replied, "nothing good."

"I could be rendered by the CIA. I could have people come after me. Or any of the third-party partners. They work closely with a number of other nations. Or they could pay off the Triads. Any of their agents or assets."

Update: Booz Allen has confirmed that Snowden was indeed employed there for 'less than three months.' Calling the claims "shocking," it said it would help its clients and any other authorities investigate Snowden. The company's full statement is below:

"Booz Allen can confirm that Edward Snowden, 29, has been an employee of our firm for less than 3 months, assigned to a team in Hawaii. News reports that this individual has claimed to have leaked classified information are shocking, and if accurate, this action represents a grave violation of the code of conduct and core values of our firm. We will work closely with our clients and authorities in their investigation of this matter."

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper has also released a statement, referring questions about possible legal repercussions to the Department of Justice and saying intelligence authorities were "reviewing the damage" done by Snowden's leaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fPd4EZKMggU

Source: The Verge

• Replies 33
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he did the right thing... why is it that political hacks from all stripes, from time to time to time need to be reminded we have freedoms and that we still wake up every day and we are the people who elect them their job and that they are ultimately accountable to US and not the other way around

He did the right thing indeed. The flood gates of truth are being opened now, there will only be more news about corruption in our government.

oh crap you are back.... it was soooo nice and quiet here too.... :rolleyes: just behave yourself and we all will get out of this alive

oh crap you are back.... it was soooo nice and quiet here too.... :rolleyes: just behave yourself and we all will get out of this alive

What does this "behave" word mean? lol

I suffer from chronic depression...had to take a break from the forums, it got real rough for me. I felt completely bullied and on top of that, I was being accused of being crazy, a liar, conspiracy theorist. Im glad I didn't kill myself though....the world is only getting more fascinating. Heads up for the scandles that will come and has already came.

Heads up for the scandles that will come and has already came.

Maybe, you mean scandals - then maybe, your spell-check stopped working . . . . . . . . . . . again

Because incorrect spelling is clearly the most important topic of discussion here...

What does this "behave" word mean? lol

I suffer from chronic depression...had to take a break from the forums, it got real rough for me. I felt completely bullied and on top of that, I was being accused of being crazy, a liar, conspiracy theorist. Im glad I didn't kill myself though....the world is only getting more fascinating. Heads up for the scandles that will come and has already came.

Ambrocious I said you should be vigilant with where you get your information. There are such things as credible sources and then there are those that aren't. What's going on now is from a credible source and I can't tell you how saddened I am by it though unfortunately I can't say I'm surprised. Edward Snowden is a real hero and the best gratitude we can give is to make sure that this never happens again. If you actually look into my posts on the forum I talk about such ideas myself but I simply make a few distinctions as I hate people like Alex Jones and irresponsible journalism. I'm also very careful about what I choose to make part of my world view because it's a slippery slope and I don't want to buy into everything just because some of it may be true. Nobody wants to walk around feeling utterly hopeless all the time. I'm really saddened by what I read about you being bullied and wanting to kill yourself (I honestly don't know if you were serious). I really hope that you didn't have me in mind as one of those people because I may have asked some questions or made a few statements about how I feel about the situation but it's not my style to go further than that. There was absolutely no malice intended in any comments I made. Don't take things so personally because in my case I simply like to challenge myself and others. In the end who the hell cares what anyone else thinks, you know what I mean? I really hope that you feel better and trust me I know what depression is like intimately. Keep your head up. :console:

correct..incorrect spelling IS the most important thing to be discussed here..if you wish to talk about "info liars" and the latest false flag op crap and lies you believe in... go to a different website that wishes to talk about that stuff and welcomes it..you will enjoy it more too..this site is not a welcoming forum for that stuff..that is what i meant by behave yourself..yes you are relatively harmless and here but life lesson learned for you ...when you speak in a certain manner and act in certain manner..and all around you asks you to stop with the lies and BS and also tell you that you are being very misinformed and lied to by your apparent hero you should re-examine your thought processes on just what to believe... OR if you truly think you are still right.maybe the place you are is not the place to act that way..keep quiet about infolies at the places that DO NOT want to hear that crap and save it for places that welcome it..all other discussions are welcome including ones with miss-spelled content..blatant.lies half truths and downright words to misinform are never welcome anywhere. if not...grow a thicker skin when others tell you off... that is what putting your big boy pants on means ..that being said Edward snowdon is areal hero... infowars will just bastardize this and Edward to something obscene in short order...again my friend...you ARE being used by info-lies not to mention totally lied to

correct..incorrect spelling IS the most important thing to be discussed here..if you wish to talk about "info liars" and the latest false flag op crap and lies you believe in... go to a different website that wishes to talk about that stuff and welcomes it..you will enjoy it more too..this site is not a welcoming forum for that stuff..that is what i meant by behave yourself..yes you are relatively harmless and here but life lesson learned for you ...when you speak in a certain manner and act in certain manner..and all around you asks you to stop with the lies and BS and also tell you that you are being very misinformed and lied to by your apparent hero you should re-examine your thought processes on just what to believe... OR if you truly think you are still right.maybe the place you are is not the place to act that way..keep quiet about infolies at the places that DO NOT want to hear that crap and save it for places that welcome it..all other discussions are welcome including ones with miss-spelled content..blatant.lies half truths and downright words to misinform are never welcome anywhere. if not...grow a thicker skin when others tell you off... that is what putting your big boy pants on means ..that being said Edward snowdon is areal hero... infowars will just bastardize this and Edward to something obscene in short order...again my friend...you ARE being used by info-lies not to mention totally lied to

You make me sick.

Whoopenstein

Too bad the guy had to ruin his life over something that should be obvious. I guess the masses have to be slapped in the face to notice. On the other hand, in a few weeks they'll go back to sleep and forget the whole thing. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm glad he's back, and he doesn't need to behave, we all just need to be civilized and respect others opinions/views and refrain from bashing each other. I do know some of what he says are way crazy, but its good to know how differently people scrutinize an incident.

Maybe, you mean scandals - then maybe, your spell-check stopped working . . . . . . . . . . . again.

Oh come on guys, it's not like none of us has ever made any spell mistakes. I'm sure his spell check is working fine, he probably overlooked the error and posted it. No need to make a big deal out of this, if you see a typo, you could politely inform the OP or have the staff correct it.

I pretty much disagree with what he says most of the time, but that's not a reason to dislike the person. We all can state what we think of the matter without being so aggressive.

Maybe, you mean scandals - then maybe, your spell-check stopped working . . . . . . . . . . . again

Because incorrect spelling is clearly the most important topic of discussion here...

Yes, for a change - I agree with you. :o

Oh come on guys, it's not like none of us has ever made any spell mistakes. I'm sure his spell check is working fine, he probably overlooked the error and posted it. No need to make a big deal out of this, if you see a typo, you could politely inform the OP or have the staff correct it.

The OP was provided undue assistance towards his failing with a graphical illustration which he failed to even acknowledge and deserves what he got - there's no need for anybody to be more polite . . . . . . . anymore.

Everybody make mistakes - hope it's clear now why only one person is whipped for those mistakes.

I pretty much disagree with what he says most of the time, but that's not a reason to dislike the person. We all can state what we think of the matter without being so aggressive.

We all disagree, too - personally, I do not believe in being a (nice) Hypocrite. Alex Jones shall be dealt with aggressively if he tries to feed us with his usual conspiracy crap in his usual condescending style of intolerant teaching by way of attempting to foist his theories upon us with utter disregard for our opinions.

Kindly understand - there's gonna be no compromise on this stand!!!

I'm glad he's back, and he doesn't need to behave, we all just need to be civilized and respect others opinions/views and refrain from bashing each other. I do know some of what he says are way crazy, but its good to know how differently people scrutinize an incident.

I am actually glad he is back too... but he does not scrutinize anything.... he can turn up a FALSE conspiracy under every pebble and grain of sand in the world..and no that is not in the least exaggeration....that is not scrutinizing..that is a mental illness and the poor guy is being abused by his hero..and that is the real and true false flag op he should be wary of....and bottom line i do not think it is wise to encourage him in what he writes here and does and thinks..it is dangerous for himself to do so and a danger to others... ambro took part in someone killing them-self....one inocent person because info wars falsely "exposed" him as either an apparent bomber or apparent ex-seal paid by the new world order to do the boston bombings...ambro believed every single word that was said by infowars even when the truth of the matter came out he just called it a big elaborate cover up...just like every other falsehood and lie infowars has ever spoken...ambro sees it as the gospel and that too is very dangerous to himself and others ....so no he does need to behave himself here..if he cannot take dissenting opinion then he needs to as suggested... to find a different forum to bring forward his lies...one where they want to listen to his lies and crap..he can freely talk about anything here it is a free country...but in real life he he needs to understand that others will callhim on his content when it id a lie or a just plain unreasonably and transparently a stupid lie

Hey guys, please refrain from going off-topic.

Additionally, please be reminded:

nsane.forums aims to provide equal opportunities to its members. We intend to treat all of our members without discrimination due to race, color, age, sex, religion / creed, species, sexual orientation, marital status, political standing or disability. In keeping with these guidelines, we expect you as individuals, to stay true to these beliefs. If you have any concerns regarding this please contact an administrator so that we can deal with it appropriately.

yea..he wants to go live in north korea or china :rolleyes: or one of the other multitude of truly freedom repressing countries ..this is bad for america but reality is there is still freedom there...he did this in one of the other mentioned places in my semi tongue in cheek rant here, and he would be one of the disappeared...never to be heard from or seen... ever again

Whistleblowers need to be protected from tyrannical governments. He let this information out to protect liberties and freedoms and hope enough people realize that his life is in danger now for showing everyone the truth. Instead of government getting in trouble for these crimes against humanity, Edward Snowden is in trouble and has to hide. How free is the USA if they can't expose corruption at the highest levels of government without fearing being killed for doing the right thing?

But one massive ugly problem exists: If the people are not well informed of these truths and corruptions, if enough people don't know it is real and vitally important to know and thoroughly understand, whistleblowing becomes nonexistent. Some people have been taught to love their chains of ignorance; they literally glory in all the wrong information. Whistle blowing is crucial to holding government officials accountable for violating human rights to privacy and all other human rights.

Good morning all,

I started off reading the article, as I find it an extremely interesting topic.

As hard-headed as Ambrocious sometimes seems, I think that we really need people like him around, to caution us, so that we hopefully don't all become gullible hero worshippers of our leaders and governments.

I strive to keep an open mind and read as many articles and view different opinions on a subject as possible before forming my own opinion.

Sometimes, I am right, and sometimes I am wrong, but that's life.

Relating to the original article, I have seen and heard enough to be convinced that the "Greatest Democracy" in the world has become similar to their enemies they call tyrants in the way they treat their own people.

Now, this is simply MY OPINION, but I fail to understand how such a huge chunk of a country's population can be so completely brainwashed at to always believe their leaders are right, and have the people's best interest at heart.

In doing so, the general population appear to willingly hand over their minds, souls and possessions to a ruling part that simply uses what it has been given to take more.

It saddens me to see how a once great world power is sliding into an apparent bankrupt, tyrannical nation - the schooling is falling apart, corruption is rife, health care is almost non existent, privacy appears to be a distant fairy tale and the list goes on.

I have seen this happen in so many countries, including my own, where the population is starving, poor, and lack the basic requirements to live. The people will bitch and moan about their lousy way of life, all the while watching their fat leaders have a grand time with 20 cars, 10 houses, 6 wives, and living the high life, stealing even more than the millions the poor tax payer hands to them as a salary.

Yet, despite the obvious disparities, corruption, theft and disdain shown by the leaders, the poor moaner will vote the same person back into power again and again!

I am constantly amazed that seemingly rational, intelligent and educated people will kill someone for having a different opinion to their own. You see murders in British soccer over which team someone supports, religion (Ireland, Middle East, Asia,) politics, the list goes on...

What I am really saying is: Don't hate the person who has a different OPINION to your own, be it religion, politics sex, sport or whatever.

Who knows?

Maybe YOUR OPINION is wrong?

A wise man told me: An insult or an opinion is like liquor - it only affects you if you take it personally!

Peace and tolerance to all!!

Good morning all,

As hard-headed as Ambrocious sometimes seems, I think that we really need people like him around, to caution us, so that we hopefully don't all become gullible hero worshippers of our leaders and governments.

I strive to keep an open mind and read as many articles and view different opinions on a subject as possible before forming my own opinion.

Relating to the original article, I have seen and heard enough to be convinced that the "Greatest Democracy" in the world has become similar to their enemies they call tyrants in the way they treat their own people.

Now, this is simply MY OPINION, but I fail to understand how such a huge chunk of a country's population can be so completely brainwashed at to always believe their leaders are right, and have the people's best interest at heart.

In doing so, the general population appear to willingly hand over their minds, souls and possessions to a ruling part that simply uses what it has been given to take more.

It saddens me to see how a once great world power is sliding into an apparent bankrupt, tyrannical nation - the schooling is falling apart, corruption is rife, health care is almost non existent, privacy appears to be a distant fairy tale and the list goes on.

I have seen this happen in so many countries, including my own, where the population is starving, poor, and lack the basic requirements to live. The people will bitch and moan about their lousy way of life, all the while watching their fat leaders have a grand time with 20 cars, 10 houses, 6 wives, and living the high life, stealing even more than the millions the poor tax payer hands to them as a salary.

Yet, despite the obvious disparities, corruption, theft and disdain shown by the leaders, the poor moaner will vote the same person back into power again and again!

I am constantly amazed that seemingly rational, intelligent and educated people will kill someone for having a different opinion to their own. You see murders in British soccer over which team someone supports, religion (Ireland, Middle East, Asia,) politics, the list goes on...

What I am really saying is: Don't hate the person who has a different OPINION to your own, be it religion, politics sex, sport or whatever.

Who knows?

A wise man told me: An insult or an opinion is like liquor - it only affects you if you take it personally!

A few things...he thinks the boston bombing was done by the American government...and he thinks 911 was also an american government operation so now you still think he should be encouraged....Not to mention every single lone gunman that has ever occurred was also a false flag op by the new world order that the american government supplies the fake victims family to mourn..i think he calls them actors or some other infowars crap to publicly mourn the loss of phantom murder victims..ask him he will readily show you proof of all i have said here. and feel sorry for you when you do not beleive him and join his ranks of the misguided.....and if you question his proof he will accuse you of being a agent provocateur sent by the new world order to personally discredit him

Whistleblowers need to be protected from tyrannical governments. He let this information out to protect liberties and freedoms and hope enough people realize that his life is in danger now for showing everyone the truth. Instead of government getting in trouble for these crimes against humanity, Edward Snowden is in trouble and has to hide. How free is the USA if they can't expose corruption at the highest levels of government without fearing being killed for doing the right thing?

But one massive ugly problem exists: If the people are not well informed of these truths and corruptions, if enough people don't know it is real and vitally important to know and thoroughly understand, whistleblowing becomes nonexistent. Some people have been taught to love their chains of ignorance; they literally glory in all the wrong information. Whistle blowing is crucial to holding government officials accountable for violating human rights to privacy and all other human rights.

again ambro..i have no problem with this response by you..it is actually what i believe to be the way our democracies should be...good post

Good morning all,

Who knows?

A few things...he thinks the boston bombing was done by the American government...and he thinks 911 was also an american government operation so now you still think he should be encouraged....Not to mention every single lone gunman that has ever occurred was also a false flag op by the new world order that the american government supplies the fake victims family to mourn..i think he calls them actors or some other infowars crap to publicly mourn the loss of phantom murder victims..ask him he will readily show you proof of all i have said here. and feel sorry for you when you do not beleive him and join his ranks of the misguided.....and if you question his proof he will accuse you of being a agent provocateur sent by the new world order to personally discredit him

Hi dMog,

I fully agree with your observation that some people may be a bit fanatical about things, hence the reason I suggested tolerance.

But sometimes, their fanatisicm proves to be correct - Columbus got to America because he was a Heretic and a Fanatic, and refused to believe that the Earth was flat.

Despite all the evidence that the earth is round, today there is a still a Flat Earth Society with thousands of active members!

We laugh at Tom Cruise and others for following L Ron Hubbard's religion/beliefs, but that is their right, it doesn't affect me, and doesn't necessarily make them a bad person.

As to Ambrocious' conspiracy theories, he may be wrong, but God Forbid, what if is he is right??

Most people would NEVER believe their elected, democratic government would spy on them, poison their own people, or other such atrocities - but it happened, just as the original whistleblower story proved!

My great grandfather believed that he would be safe from Hitler, having been a decorated 1st World War soldier, but died in the concentration camps.

Maybe our belief in the good of mankind is too strong to believe what we see..

Yet, despite proof of the atrocities in WW I & II, Vietnam, Iraq, Cuba, and so many other places, many people today say that none of it happened.

Just like someone else's OPINION on Religion, Sport, Politics etc. may, can and will differ to yours I think we should take a lesson from life.

Be likea cow: Chew everything carefully, spit out what doesn't nourish you, and keep what does.

No need to bash, insult, kill (?) the gullible, or the person with a different opinion to your own, that is a bit like being like the Crusaders - "Choose my loving, forgiving caring GOD, or I torture and kill you"

Similar way of saying what id said about alcohol really...only affects you if you take it personally.

Archived