Demonoid reincarnated with community support?

MrVoice

Just received an interesting e-mail earlier this evening. I happened to check my junk e-mail folder for some serendipitous reason and found this message from [email protected]

Dear Demonoid Community Member,

We have all read the same news stories: The Demonoid servers shut down and seized in the Ukraine. The Demonoid admin team detained in Mexico. The demonoid.me domain snatched and put up for sale. The Demonoid trackers back online in Hong Kong, but then disappearing.

We all wanted to believe that Demonoid would be resurrected once again; but it seems that these events have spelled the end of Demonoid as we have always known it. We all waited to see if Demonoid would return, though its now clear that this time its really gone.

Now for some good news: The heart and soul of Demonoid lives on!
Through an amazing sequence of unlikely events, the data on those Ukrainian servers has made its way into the safe hands of members of our community and has now been re-launched as d2.vu

Invitations to return are being sent out only to existing Demonoid members, which is the reason you have received this email. For the foreseeable future d2.vu will remain a semi-private site and no new invitations to join will be issued until we are certain that the system is stable. To login, click here and authenticate using your old Demonoid username and password.

Demonoid may be gone, but the community lives on at d2! Welcome home!

Sincerely,
admin

What do you folks out in Nsaneland think? Hoax? Phishing scam? Real deal?

This was send to my old e-mail alias in Outlook, which I stopped using for regular everyday stuff, so it's both suspicious and perfectly logical. However, the link seems to point to a server which isn't online...

"Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.d2.vu."

• Replies 12
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from reddit:

PSA: Do not use the "new" Demonoid. Everything about the site says sketchy.

• The site is not run by the original Demonoid staff or owners, or anyone knowingly affiliated with them in any way.

• The .vu address is actually hosted in a United States server on a .com domain.

• It's impossible to log into the site; anything you put in just returns an "incorrect login" error.

• The forums and IRC sections have been completely removed from the layout (there are no "new Demonoid" forums as far as we can tell)

• No trackers have been located for the alleged new domain

If you have tried to log into the site, change any logins that match the one(s) you used. Treat this site as phishing site or honeypot until further notice. For more info, feel free to join us in the Demonoid IRC on irc.p2p-network.net at #demonoid.

use at your own risk i suppose?

RobrPatty

Got the same e-mail and was able to connect to the site. Looks just like the old demonoid setup. I guess d2 means demonoid2. Anyway seems legit to me.

Well now I'm getting the cannot connect to server. Hell it was open an hour ago...huh.

Kittysafe

Received the email, site cannot be located, thinking it was a phishing expedition, after what happened I don't think anyone would trust it anyway.

SnakeMasteR

‘New’ Demonoid D2.vu Quickly Shutdown For Hosting Malware

During the past few hours TorrentFreak has been absolutely overwhelmed with hundreds of emails asking

about the possible resurrection of the infamous Demonoid BitTorrent tracker. After tracking down the owner

of the new domain but being met with silence, we have now been informed by the site’s host that at the very

least the site was hosting some kind of malware. The site has now been suspended, pending full shutdown.

TF

I got the same email,forgot my password but they sent it to me. I'm logged in to my old account and downloading. All my old torrents i uploaded are there as well. So check it out! lol

RobrPatty

I got the same email,forgot my password but they sent it to me. I'm logged in to my old account and downloading. All my old torrents i uploaded are there as well. So check it out! lol

Yep logged into my old account and its just like the old days. :) :)

Hey Rob Is it showing your ratio? It's not showing mine was just wondering.

RobrPatty

Hey Rob Is it showing your ratio? It's not showing mine was just wondering.

No its not...guess the usual 1.0 ratio does not apply.

Archived