Massive U.S. cyberattack planned by Anonymous

insanedown58

insanedown58

“In the cross hairs of anonymous”

The hacktivist group Anonymous announced phase one of a massive cyberattack, called Op USA, on U.S government and banking websites scheduled for next Tuesday, May 7. The White House, the NSA, and the FBI are included on a list of high profile government targets, and 133 financial institutions including the Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Citibank are listed as banking targets.

Communicating through Pastebin on April 21, an Anonymous spokesperson stated, “Anonymous will make sure that this May 7th will be a day to remember.” They wrote that the reason for the attack is “…multiple war crimes in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan…”.

Anonymous posted a list of targets and mapped out the method of attacks writing, “You can not stop the internet hate machine from doxes, DNS attacks, defaces, redirects, ddos attacks, database leaks, and admin take overs.”

Bank Info Security writes in an article that “Experts say the threat is serious and few of the targeted organizations, have made significant investments to withstand the attacks.” Other than the top 50 banking institutions, smaller banks are not prepared to withstand the traffic surges that a DDoS (distributed denial of service) attack brings. “The smaller banks are not prepared, and the government side is not very well prepared, either,” says an Israel-based DDoS-mitigation expert. “If a massive attack will come, I’m sure we will see many of the government websites going down.”

The Anonymous attackers said that the U.S. cyberattack would cause more damage than the Op Israel attack launched this past April 7, when they promised to “erase Israel from the Internet.” In another Pastebin post, they also announced that next year, April 7, 2014, they will attack again, “#Opisrael we gonna make it as your birthday!”

OpUSA.jpg

source: https://blog.avast.com/2013/05/02/massive-u-s-cyberattack-planned-by-anonymous/

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stylemessiah

Announcing a target list BEFORE launching the attack....Free

Annoucing the date of the attack....Free

Watching some spotty teenage basement troll getting handcuffed by the FBI on the nghtly news shortly after....Priceless

Umm i wouldnt be running anonymous like that myself.....why give them the leadtime to put in place prevention and tracking measures...

hdfreedom

Watching some spotty teenage basement troll getting handcuffed by the FBI on the nghtly news shortly after....Priceless

Good one M8...

Somebody needs to spank their nutjob children.

Cypher3927

Umm i wouldnt be running anonymous like that myself.....why give them the leadtime to put in place prevention and tracking measures...

Hey at least "spotty teenage basement trolls" are risking their own freedom while fighting for ours. Most people won't even bat an eyelash at actually getting involved and that's why things perpetually stay the same. Too many insipid and vapid Facebook posts to make and too many interesting things to catch on TV tonight. Personally I have to agree with you that announcing an attack before hitting the targets doesn't make sense. I guess their goal is to bring attention to issues so whether the attack is completely successful or not is incidental. They'll hit enough targets to make a difference. The one issue I have is what are they going to do when cybersecurity legislation goes live or when the US completes the Bluffdale facility in Utah. This will certainly make their job harder and illustrates the fact that other legal measures such as boycotts and protests will ultimately have the most impact. If even a tiny fraction of the population said that's it we've had it and stood up to voice their opinions things would have to change. However, some people think it's all hopeless so they don't take the initiative and some simply don't care enough to even get involved...that is until the issues reach them and it's that much harder to start fighting for our rights.

Cypher3927

the new world order will never stand for this...off with their heads

The New World Order is a government conspiracy myth. Most countries could barely balance a budget much less pull off something like that and without anyone in the world ever noticing. I hate when people bring this up because it makes the situation seem hopeless and because of this people don't take the actions that could turn things around. It's never that simple and things are a lot less ordered than we'd like to think.

yes things are a lot less ordered than we like to think... and a lot more greed than we want to admit running rampant..but to the point of someone somewhere attempting to take over the world through what the new world order is purported to be doing... well, some are either over medicated... or require to be over medicated for their own good

edit:: spelling

stylemessiah

Hey at least "spotty teenage basement trolls" are risking their own freedom while fighting for ours.

<snip>

Youre right, the script kiddies are exactly like my relatives who spilt their blood on the battlefields during world war one (gallipoli, the western front) and two (the western front again)

We should give them all medals after they complete the hack

Sheesh, what medication are you on....

As has been pointed out, there is no new world order, so stop listening to Alex Jones, most countries are so dysfunctional its actually quite sad. The very idea that theres some coordinated plan to put in place a "one world government" or such other things as some inbred americans think is so totally ludicrous its well, ludicrous

Script kiddies and their supporters need to get their heads out of their asses and realise that they are just vandals, thieves with nothing better to do, and no intention of ever contributing to society. they want everything for free, their way and now. The me me me now now now generation.

Good to know... we will exactly know why the Internet COULD or may be slow next week....

Cypher3927

Hey at least "spotty teenage basement trolls" are risking their own freedom while fighting for ours.

<snip>

Youre right, the script kiddies are exactly like my relatives who spilt their blood on the battlefields during world war one (gallipoli, the western front) and two (the western front again)

As has been pointed out, there is no new world order, so stop listening to Alex Jones, most countries are so dysfunctional its actually quite sad. The very idea that theres some coordinated plan to put in place a "one world government" or such other things as some inbred americans think is so totally ludicrous its well, ludicrous

Script kiddies and their supporters need to get their heads out of their asses and realise that they are just vandals, thieves with nothing better to do, and no intention of ever contributing to society. they want everything for free, their way and now. The me me me now now now generation.

Maybe they just got tired of watching the world inch towards the abyss. Who cares if they haven't spilled their blood in battle as neither did hippies or many other important historical figures that used various forms of protest as a road to change. More power to them for having the brains to do it without risking life and limb, that's just called being smart. These days the battlefields are different and they still risk their freedoms for something they believe in. It's a valid form of protest and a way of attracting attention to the important issues when congregating on a street they would just be willfully ignored. If you don't think there are some SERIOUS and worrying events facing the world today then maybe you need to check what kind of medication you're on. Maybe they should be pursuing legal avenues to secure our freedoms? Oh that's right we have the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and maybe if they weren't being used as toilet paper they would be making a difference. Right around the same time that I read an article that though CISPA cleared the House of Representatives, it was predicted to get shot down in the Senate over privacy concerns, I see this little lovely nugget: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57581161-38/u.s-gives-big-secret-push-to-internet-surveillance/ While legally in this case they are doing things by the book, so to speak, behind the scenes they are up to business as usual. What is the alternative...sit around and wait until we arrive at Orwell's 1984? Would that make you feel better? And just for the record if that Alex Jones comment was directed at me then it was simply a stereotype because I personally hate the man. He makes anyone that questions what exactly is going on look like a total nut and that diverts attention from the very real problems facing the world. He also utilizes loose logic and ridiculous conspiracy theories that only make people feel hopeless in ever actually changing anything. I'd toss him in the crapper with religion and other mental illnesses immediately so we can go about the business of rebuilding our crumbling planet and the deplorable state of the human condition. I'd rather try something different than just the same old crap that isn't working. Sometimes it's all too easy to sit in safety and criticize the actions others take to bring about some kind of social change while we ourselves sit on the sidelines. If it's between betting on the unchecked growth of the military-industrial complex or Anonymous I'll take Anonymous any day. :yes:

stylemessiah

<snip>

Maybe they just got tired of watching the world inch towards the abyss. Who cares if they haven't spilled their blood in battle? These days the battlefields are different and they still risk their freedoms for something they believe in. It's a valid form of protest and a way of attracting attention to the important issues when congregating on a street they would just be willfully ignored. If you don't think there are some SERIOUS and worrying issues facing the world then maybe you need to check what kind of medication you're on. Maybe they should be pursuing legal avenues to secure our freedoms? Oh that's right we have the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and maybe if they weren't being used as toilet paper they would be making a difference. Right around the same time that I read an article that though CISPA cleared the House of Representatives, it was predicted to get shot down in the Senate over privacy concerns, I see this little lovely nugget: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57581161-38/u.s-gives-big-secret-push-to-internet-surveillance/ While legally in this case they are doing things by the book, so to speak, behind the scenes they are up to business as usual. What is the alternative...sit around and wait until we arrive at Orwell's 1984? Would that make you feel better? And just for the record if that Alex Jones comment was directed at me then it was simply a stereotype because I personally hate the man. He makes anyone that questions what exactly is going on look like a total nut and that diverts attention from the very real problems facing the world. He also utilizes loose logic and ridiculous conspiracy theories that only make people feel hopeless in ever actually changing anything. I'd toss him in the crapper with religion and other mental illnesses immediately so we can go about the business of rebuilding our crumbling planet and our deplorable human condition.

At the very real risk of furthering your misguided notions,

I very much care that they havent spilled blood.Youre continuing argument that puts script kiddies in the same class as war veterans is beyond offensive. I tried to shame you into realising the error of that argument, but no.....Ignorant and misguided will do as it will.

Lets run down the conspiracy theorists/new world order subscribers checklist:

Use of alarming words in caps - Check (SERIOUS)

Mention of Constitution (usually with no understanding of what it actually is or it actually grants) - Check

Mention of Bill oF Rights (usually with no understanding of what it actually is or it actually grants) - Check

Mention of how the government which came up with both is now trampling them - Check

Mention of George Orwell - Check

Defensive denial of ever listening to Alex Jones - Check

I could go on but i have a life and think ive made my point, im out of here.

For the record, im on digoxin, i have a heart condition

Good to know... we will exactly know why the Internet COULD or may be slow next week....

LOL, yeah - without getting into the pros & cons, my only concern would be whether our surfing would be affected adversely.

Cypher3927

I very much care that they havent spilled blood.Youre continuing argument that puts script kiddies in the same class as war veterans is beyond offensive. I tried to shame you into realising the error of that argument, but no.....Ignorant and misguided will do as it will.

Mention of Constitution (usually with no understanding of what it actually is or it actually grants) - Check

Mention of Bill oF Rights (usually with no understanding of what it actually is or it actually grants) - Check

Mention of how the government which came up with both is now trampling them - Check

You don't even freaking now me and it's obvious you have your head stuck up your own nether regions too far to objectively talk about the situation. I was the one who stated that the New World Order is a conspiracy myth, check the posts. I am not speaking of anything that isn't substantiated by tons of evidence and I'm not talking about Alex Jones evidence. If you don't think that the NDAA, CISPA, government bailouts of scumbag banking institutions, the unaccountability of the Federal Reserve, lobbyists buying government, the takedown of websites without due process and the spying on citizens phone calls, internet communications, etc plus all the other events going on globally are worrying then I don't know what to tell you because you are beyond a lost cause. Did you also think Eisenhower was a conspiracy nut when he made his famous speech? There have been whistleblowers that have worked for the NSA and other government organizations that became completely disillusioned with how their work was being applied to violating citizens rights...so much so that they have actually quit. That speaks volumes about the kind of stuff going on behind the scenes in this theater of the absurd. You'd probably be the kind of person that would vote in favor of such repressive legislation. People like you are the reason the world is in the deplorable state that it's in because your only contribution is talking trash about others that are out there actually doing something. How do you know how much I know about the Constitution or the Bill of Rights? It's nice to see that you have put yourself on such a pedestal that you think only your mighty brainpower could possibly comprehend these documents and this only shows what an infant you really are. You have this attitude that because people don't think like you then they are automatically wrong and instead of actually having a conversation you resort to childish finger-pointing. What are you doing to change the world? Exactly so maybe you should stick to using that mouth to kiss government ass because besides stereotypes, insults and other nonsense you haven't raised a single valid point about anything.

spotty teenage basement troll

hahahaha! So the teenage mutant ninja turtle has its counterpart in the real world! nyahahahaha!

stylemessiah

You don't even freaking now me and it's obvious you have your head stuck up your own nether regions too far to objectively talk about the situation. I was the one who stated that the New World Order is a conspiracy myth, check the posts. I am not speaking of anything that isn't substantiated by tons of evidence and I'm not talking about Alex Jones evidence. If you don't think that the NDAA, CISPA, government bailouts of scumbag banking institutions, the unaccountability of the Federal Reserve, lobbyists buying government, the takedown of websites without due process and the spying on citizens phone calls, internet communications, etc plus all the other events going on globally are worrying then I don't know what to tell you because you are beyond a lost cause. Did you also think Eisenhower was a conspiracy nut when he made his famous speech? There have been whistleblowers that have worked for the NSA and other government organizations that became completely disillusioned with how their work was being applied to violating citizens rights...so much so that they have actually quit. That speaks volumes about the kind of stuff going on behind the scenes in this theater of the absurd. You'd probably be the kind of person that would vote in favor of such repressive legislation. People like you are the reason the world is in the deplorable state that it's in because your only contribution is talking trash about others that are out there actually doing something. How do you know how much I know about the Constitution or the Bill of Rights? It's nice to see that you have put yourself on such a pedestal that you think only your mighty brainpower could possibly comprehend these documents and this only shows what an infant you really are. You have this attitude that because people don't think like you then they are automatically wrong and instead of actually having a conversation you resort to childish finger-pointing. What are you doing to change the world? Exactly so maybe you should stick to using that mouth to kiss government ass because besides stereotypes, insults and other nonsense you haven't raised a single valid point about anything.

Really, you need to stop and realise you only continue to prove my point for me.

And that is the klast post im making here.

i will not sit here and tell you or make the claim that OUR governments are not corrupt to some point..or or business leaders or our banking systems does not have it's issues...certainly there is issues...but if you ever get off your ass and travel the the world...(even to Mexico, as i am assuming you live in the USA) but it does not take long to see how most of the rest of the people of this world in most countries are living in conditions of their governments and other leaders and their police and their armies being so corrupt that if you and i had to live under that thumb WOULD take up arms to stop it...there is not a single country in the so called western world that has any government that does not know and understand their own citizens would revolt if they attempted to take our freedoms away... is it a perfect system, in one single word...no.... but it far from what most of the people in most of the rest of the world have to cope with on daily basis. I have personal friends that lived under communist rule from their child hood to when they escaped...and yes, escaped is an understatement.... that still cannot believe that they can walk up to a cop and ask for directions when they are lost with out being arrested or on a whim board a plain train or car and go anywhere in this country they want with out fear of being arrested for doing so...i have other friends that witnessed their own government kill half the members of their families, kill their babies in front of them, then proceed to rape all the women and if they had not run away, would have been raped and murdered themselves...so yes you have some points there that are part ways valid but nowhere near what is out there for other countries...

Cypher3927
Really, you need to stop and realise you only continue to prove my point for me.

And that is the klast post im making here.

Wow what a valid argument, your intellect must really be the stuff of legend. Simply ridicule the opponent and you don't even have to actually make any statements based on any kind of facts whatsoever. Nice way to not make a single point but let your massive ego feel that you have somehow contributed something worthwhile to the conversation and came out with the upper hand. Stylemessiah...please. What style are you exhibiting exactly, conformity? You flatter yourself that anyone gives a crap about what you think. Really. :fist:

Cypher3927

i will not sit here and tell you or make the claim that OUR governments are not corrupt to some point..or or business leaders or our banking systems does not have it's issues...certainly there is issues...but if you ever get off your ass and travel the the world...(even to Mexico, as i am assuming you live in the USA) but it does not take long to see how most of the rest of the people of this world in most countries are living in conditions of their governments and other leaders and their police and their armies being so corrupt that if you and i had to live under that thumb WOULD take up arms to stop it...there is not a single country in the so called western world that has any government that does not know and understand their own citizens would revolt if they attempted to take our freedoms away... is it a perfect system, in one single word...no.... but it far from what most of the people in most of the rest of the world have to cope with on daily basis. I have personal friends that lived under communist rule from their child hood to when they escaped...and yes, escaped is an understatement.... that still cannot believe that they can walk up to a cop and ask for directions when they are lost with out being arrested or on a whim board a plain train or car and go anywhere in this country they want with out fear of being arrested for doing so...i have other friends that witnessed their own government kill half the members of their families, kill their babies in front of them, then proceed to rape all the women and if they had not run away, would have been raped and murdered themselves...so yes you have some points there that are part ways valid but nowhere near what is out there for other countries...

Dude half of my family was shot during World War II so please don't give me a spiel about how bad it is in other countries. Not to mention my family lived under communist rule for a big portion of their lives. That is analogous to saying "well it could be worse" which might be true yet that doesn't mean it's not bad. Maybe your life is much better then that bum on the streetcorner yet somehow that doesn't make your pain or your problems any less valid or any less painful. It's also a rationalization for weak people to feel better about their situation even if they have no reason to. Why can't we say "it could be better"? Should we now compare the United States to every hole in the ground so that we can feel better about the crappy situation going on here? Not to mention it's a dangerous way to think, particularly about government, because change is not an overnight process. People think that Germany was a very controlled society before World War II but actually it was a free society and they even had gay rights. However, pretty soon that all slipped into complete and utter madness really freaking quickly. You also have to remember that the United States spends more on the military than every other country...combined. So basically it's not just shaping policy there but also globally. This makes what goes on in the US a pretty critical piece of the puzzle that simply cannot be ignored.

• Administrator

Chillax guys. Be cool and see what's going to happen.

There's one thing for sure though, when these attacks happened the first time, it did pissoff many, making them take a strong consideration to such attacks.

Also, these attacks are unlikely to slow down the internet.

Cypher3927

There's one thing for sure though, when these attacks happened the first time, it did pissoff many, making them take a strong consideration to such attacks.

I'm the kind of person that can have an objective conversation with someone whose views stand in direct opposition to mine but I won't sit here and listen to some egoistic, arrogrant, know-it-all mook talk like that to me. It's the usual garbage I hear from people that can't actually make any valid points so their only recourse is childhood games of finger-pointing and ridicule.

• Administrator

I'm the kind of person that can have an objective conversation with someone whose views stand in direct opposition to mine but I won't sit here and listen to some egoistic, arrogrant, know-it-all mook talk like that to me. It's the usual garbage I hear from people that can't actually make any valid points so their only recourse is childhood games of finger-pointing and ridicule.

Then it makes no sense to argue (no offence). Agree to disagree and move on. :)

Dude half of my family was shot during World War II so please don't give me a spiel about how bad it is in other countries. Not to mention my family lived under communist rule for a big portion of their lives. That is analogous to saying "well it could be worse" which might be true yet that doesn't mean it's not bad. Maybe your life is much better then that bum on the streetcorner yet somehow that doesn't make your pain or your problems any less valid or any less painful. It's also a rationalization for weak people to feel better about their situation even if they have no reason to. Why can't we say "it could be better"? Should we now compare the United States to every hole in the ground so that we can feel better about the crappy situation going on here? Not to mention it's a dangerous way to think, particularly about government, because change is not an overnight process. People think that Germany was a very controlled society before World War II but actually it was a free society and they even had gay rights. However, pretty soon that all slipped into complete and utter madness really freaking quickly. You also have to remember that the United States spends more on the military than every other country...combined. So basically it's not just shaping policy there but also globally. This makes what goes on in the US a pretty critical piece of the puzzle that simply cannot be ignored.

you have valid points.... but you still need to calm down..... not every one that does not agree 110% with you is against you or thinks you are completely wrong....and again some bonehead attacking a the web in a manner that ultimately hurts innocent bystanders by not allowing them access to a bank account or worse...well in a nut shell, they are wrong to do so.....and most assuringly, some involved in this type of attack are only doing so because they can or for shits and giggles..if you can understand wahat that phrase means

again a chill pill is needed here..anger toward anyone not in agreement with you...rudeness too... are your only responses to any dissenting views

Without hinting at anybody at this particular thread and just generally speaking, my observations have been that only those who do not have any technical points left to counter the debate - turn it into an argument by pointing fingers, then insulting their adversaries and finally using abusive language. :think:

Archived