New Google Chrome release improves in-browser spell chekcer

shamu726

Does you has bad grammar? Do homonyms give you panes? Google wants too help.

Google has just released Chrome version 26.0.1410.43 to the stable channel, and chief among its list of changes is something that will please the error-prone: the in-browser spell checker sees several prominent additions, most notably the ability to distinguish between homonyms, check grammar, and perform context-sensitive fixes. Additionally, words added to the browser's custom dictionary can now be synced between Chrome installations with Google Sync enabled. For now, these improvements apply only to the Windows and Linux versions of Chrome, as well as Chrome OS. Google is "still working on Mac support" for the features—while OS X has its own system-wide spell checker, it obviously lacks the Chrome-specific features of Google's implementation.

Most of these features will only be available to users who have enabled the "ask Google for suggestions" setting in their browsers, which is done by right-clicking anywhere in a text field and drilling down to the "spell-checker options" menu. These suggestions use Google Search as a backend, which means you'll be sending your misspelled words anonymously to Google for its use just as you do when you use Google Search or the company's other products. Privacy-minded people might want to familiarize themselves with Chrome's privacy policy and settings before enabling the feature.

Chrome 26 also includes a few other modifications in keeping with Chrome's slow-but-steady approach to fixes and feature additions. On Windows PCs with multiple Chrome profiles, users can now create shortcuts to their individual profiles and place them on the desktop. OS X and Linux also benefit from Chrome's asynchronous DNS implementation, which seeks to speed up DNS prefetching, which in turn reduces the amount of time users have to wait for DNS resolution. Before now, asynchronous DNS had been included as an experimental feature, but disabled by default. Finally, the new release fixes several security bugs, all of which are outlined in the release notes.

Source: Ars Technica

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10x for the info mate , BTW new chrome 26 is buggy , u cant click on some moving info in some sites...

stylemessiah

Really:

Thats all they got, besides the most exploited browser and a host of bugs......not to mention the ever present threat fo harvesting your data?

Meanwhile Firefox decided to do something thats actually useful to the user experience and truly blitz js code execution...in your face Chrome

Really:

Thats all they got, besides the most exploited browser and a host of bugs......not to mention the ever present threat fo harvesting your data?

Meanwhile Firefox decided to do something thats actually useful to the user experience and truly blitz js code execution...in your face Chrome

Funny, cause Firefox always hangs on normal websites like Youtube and Facebook for me whereas Chrome does not, ever. ^^ Google has their own deal with Adobe to make sure they can update Flash automatically within Chrome BTW, this might be a reason (in comparison to an external Firefox plugin that you also have to download manually).

stylemessiah

Really:

Funny, cause Firefox always hangs on normal websites like Youtube and Facebook for me whereas Chrome does not, ever. ^^ Google has their own deal with Adobe to make sure they can update Flash automatically within Chrome BTW, this might be a reason (in comparison to an external Firefox plugin that you also have to download manually).

Funny that about 70% of the time ive responded to a request for help from people i know who have decided, somewhat unwisely, to use Chrome, the issue has been flash bringing the browser down to a grinding halt, along with high CPU usage and memory leaks of course....

Funny my waterfox or vanilla Firefox hasnt ever hung on youtube, and ive onyl been using it for like years...mind you i had issues with Cyberfox and content encoding errors and weird stuff and uninstalled it, but i assume thats down to bugs by the compiler/packager

Really:

Funny that about 70% of the time ive responded to a request for help from people i know who have decided, somewhat unwisely, to use Chrome, the issue has been flash bringing the browser down to a grinding halt, along with high CPU usage and memory leaks of course....

Funny my waterfox or vanilla Firefox hasnt ever hung on youtube, and ive onyl been using it for like years...mind you i had issues with Cyberfox and content encoding errors and weird stuff and uninstalled it, but i assume thats down to bugs by the compiler/packager

No need to repeat words I say to put coal on the fire, but if you want the heat, I love to fight. ^^

-serious mode- Maybe it's some faulty Flash plugin or whatever, even though Flash should've been killed off many years ago, but I never have any issue with Chrome, while Firefox hangs as soon as it loads any flash content. When I see a slowdown on someone else's computer because of a browser it's usually that the computer has insufficient RAM in the first place, which is why tablet should be the future for the average joe IMO - computers were never made for them in the first place anyway, lots of resources being wasted to educate people for a system they were never meant to use.

Archived