Sony announces Xperia Z; 1080p display, water-proof

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Sony has announced a brand new Android flagship at CES 2013: the Xperia Z. It brings a 5-inch, 1080p display, 13-megapixel camera, Snapdragon S4 Pro chipset and water-resistance in a 7.9mm thin body.

81MK4.jpg

Today at CES 2013, Sony has unveiled a brand new (and heavily rumored) Android flagship device called the Xperia Z, bringing with it some mighty impressive specifications for this sort of device. The Xperia Z packs a 5-inch, 1080p 443-ppi TFT LCD "Reality" display in a 7.9mm thin body, plus a fast quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro chipset with LTE and NFC on board, and 2 GB of RAM. Storage-wise there's 16 GB on-board plus a microSD card slot for expansion.

Other features that are particularly exciting include the new 13-megapixel Exmor RS camera sensor, improving on last year's already fantastic Exmor camera that we saw in the Xperia S by bringing HDR video and 9 MP burst mode at 10 frames per second. The front facing camera also has been upgraded to a 2-megapixel Exmor R sensor, so perhaps finally we can get decent front-facing shots.

Also, the Xperia Z comes with IP55 and IP57 certification, meaning the phone is water-resistant up to 1 meter, protected from jets of water and encased from dust causing serious damage. Previously these sorts of designations were only given to tough-model smartphones, so it's wonderful to see an actual flagship being well protected from the elements.

Currently there's no word on the price, but it will be launching very soon: sometime in Q1 2013. When it does launch it will be loaded with Android 4.1, although an upgrade to 4.2 will come shortly afterwards.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely my next phone. Amazing looks and performance and on top of all best AOSP support! ;)

Water-resistance clearly different than water-proof... But other than that, that's a very good and promising phone...

Very nice hardware. Maybe it will be my next smartphone when I decide to leave SGS II, but for now SGS II is even more then I need. ;)

Sony = unreliable crap!

Will break as soon as you look at it wrong.

• Administrator

Sony = unreliable crap!

You've tried new Xperia phones? Asking honestly...

Nope, had enough bad experience with Sony to know better. If i'm ever diagnosed with a terminal illness you can be sure I will wipe those motherfuckers out :angry:

Damn :D Amazing phone :)

But this is gonna be expensive as hell :unsure:

Exactly. Hopefully, I can get a used one in a couple of years, since my current Sony Ericsson will certainly last that long. B)

Sony = unreliable crap!

Well, I have nothing but the best to say about Sony (Ericsson). They really mean business when they weather-proof a phone. Witness the Xperia Active and the C-something model. I've handled several smart-phones while determining that I don't want them (S©amsung was instrumental to that decision!). Xperia's have always had superior build quality, a sense of style, a slickness, a wealth of features, all for waaaaaaaaay much money I was ever willing to pay for a mobile. While I personally hate Android-based pseudo-tablets and genuine tablets for that matter, as they all warrant suitcases, the dumb-phone market is getting increasingly non-profitable - a hefty price for less than what the older dumb-phones had in terms of features! So when I finally go down Android lane, Sony's the way to go. :D

While I don't hide my flare for SE (or my hatred for all things Apple <_< ), I still think that a legendary phone can come from any manufacturer. Nokia's E90, SE K750i, Motorola's Milestone 1 & 2, Alcatel's OT997... Methinks we have a winner!

Its priced like an iPhone, they need to reduce their prices. Its just way too high.

Nope, had enough bad experience with Sony to know better. If i'm ever diagnosed with a terminal illness you can be sure I will wipe those motherfuckers out :angry:

I think you are one of xperia owners disappointed by their failed promises. I own xperia too and I say it wasn't build with high quality in mind. Some parts starting to crack and wear off. I have it repaired and replaced some parts, which includes the whole LED screen replaced as well. :(

I bought xperia believing that they would upgrade it to jelly bean and not some jelly crap version. If not for cyanogenmod, I upgraded to cm10, I would really throw it out on the wall, smash it to pieces and spit on it. <_<

To be fair, I'm satisfied with the phone's hardware performance comparing it with the other phones in the same category.

Archived